Sign in to follow this  
cody8899

Preference of Arma 2 equipment

What madness are you talking? They are listening to the minority? Show me where they have abdicated and removed a "future" tech at the behest of this "minority"?
Two words: railgun tank.

And yes, "the sci-fi look" was a selling point to me.

As i said in another thread:

I would take the Cold War setting any day over futuristic era.

Its not only about having better graphics.

They already had experience with this setting.Just imagine how much cool stuff they could improve from past games: tanks interiors,guns,models,etc.

Its still a great game,no doubt on that.

But in my opinion,it could have been way better if it was situated in the Cold War era.;)

As i said in another thread:

I would take the Cold War setting any day over futuristic era.

Its not only about having better graphics.

They already had experience with this setting.Just imagine how much cool stuff they could improve from past games: tanks interiors,guns,models,etc.

Its still a great game,no doubt on that.

But in my opinion,it could have been way better if it was situated in the Cold War era.;)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but did you just first say "it's not about gfx" and "they already had this experience" and then say that you'd want an improved arma 2 (or ofp)?

Literally the only thing that is straight-up fictional in Arma 3 is the Mi-48 and the MX rifle. Even then, they are an amalgamation of existing military equipment.

They removed railgun tanks (Which they advertised and released screenshots of and talked about it in a positive light) which, while pretty far-flung, is not beyond the realm of possibility with a healthy dose of 'What-if' (Railguns have been tested with success in real life).

They removed the HUD on the Opfor. Now their silly helmets make no sense.

I can only imagine what other unannounced but futuristic stuff they've cut. This http://www.armaholic.com/datas/users/doupe_cz_e3_2012_8_4.jpg has probably been cut in favour of a global hawk for looking 'too futuristic'.

As for originality? Yes, more or less. How many military shooters do you know that are set after the cold war that don't involve russians and sand and AK's and M4's. Not a lot.

They cut that awesome UAV? Darnit, I was looking forward to that. And I was hoping for something like the BAE systems Taranis, as well :/

Yeah, I think that BIS should have stuck with their original vision and not bowed so much to the people who want ArmA 2 Electric Boogaloo

They cut that awesome UAV? Darnit, I was looking forward to that. And I was hoping for something like the BAE systems Taranis, as well :/

Yeah, I think that BIS should have stuck with their original vision and not bowed so much to the people who want ArmA 2 Electric Boogaloo

I think stuff like this is part of what hardened hearts against the "milsimmers"...

I think stuff like this is part of what hardened hearts against the "milsimmers"...

Don't get me wrong, before I started my last year at Uni as an undergrad and then went on to do my Masters, I used to be part of a pretty hardcore milsim UK clan (VOLCBAT), and I've got nothing against Milsimmers. However, I do dislike them trying to turn ArmA 3 into something it isn't supposed to be. ArmA 2 was the current day milsim, ArmA 3 was supposed to be a near-future milsim-ish sandbox, basically the near-future equivalent of the ArmA games as they have always been on release, but hopefully with less bugs and all the improvements we are seeing.

Unfortunately, certain vocal groups have made it a case of two steps forward, one step back...

Reminds me of comic book fans who want change yet don't want change...

Don't believe they cut out that UAV. Same for rail\coil guns as someone pointed out that are some ammo configs with high speed numbers that may be related to that.

In fact, there is a lot of things we didn't saw for a good while (Osprey, UGV; for example) and I think there is a good chunk of things we never saw so far.

Don't believe they cut out that UAV. Same for rail\coil guns as someone pointed out that are some ammo configs with high speed numbers that may be related to that.

In fact, there is a lot of things we didn't saw for a good while (Osprey, UGV; for example) and I think there is a good chunk of things we never saw so far.

Unless we have the full game, we do not know wether they cut things out or not because things an change and they have made no official statement regarding these features.

i wonder, if with any of DLC's, BIS could put us back to more current years. I think around 2020, so to say prequel to what happaned in 2035? I guess in 2020, BIS could use all familiar weapons and vehicles, for our pleasure. I like that futuristic setting, and no way it does look TO futuristic to me, but i must admit, me and my buddies, missing good old AK, holding in our hands.

i wonder, if with any of DLC's, BIS could put us back to more current years. I think around 2020, so to say prequel to what happaned in 2035? I guess in 2020, BIS could use all familiar weapons and vehicles, for our pleasure. I like that futuristic setting, and no way it does look TO futuristic to me, but i must admit, me and my buddies, missing good old AK, holding in our hands.

Chances are the Militery will be using tech from 2015 or older in real life by 2035.

Unless we have the full game, we do not know wether they cut things out or not because things an change and they have made no official statement regarding these features.
Therein lies the "problem" with an alpha/beta... ;) Though I like to imagine that the art assets for all the "sci-fi" stuff is still somewhere in BI's vault, just awaiting use.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but did you just first say "it's not about gfx" and "they already had this experience" and then say that you'd want an improved arma 2 (or ofp)?

Nope.

What i said,or meant to said was:

They could have gone for the Cold War era,instead of futuristic "setting".Because they have more experience with it. (3 games if you count arma 2)

They already have the models of tanks,guns,planes and etc.They could use them and upgrade them with the new Physx and interior features, giving us more content on release.

Basically,implement all of the good things that are present in Arma 3 on a Cold War scenario.

It would be amazing. :)

Nope.

They could have gone for the Cold War era,instead of futuristic "setting".Because they have more experience with it. (3 games if you count arma 2)

They already have the models of tanks,guns,planes and etc.They could use them and upgrade them with the new Physx and interior features, giving us more content on release.

Basically,implement all of the good things that are present in Arma 3 on a Cold War scenario.

People need to know what AIA is...

People need to know what AIA is...

I know what it is.

But its not official,thus not supported by the devs and i can see it being a pain in the back to play in multiplayer.

They cut all those things? Care to link where they said that?

I know what it is.

But its not official,thus not supported by the devs and i can see it being a pain in the back to play in multiplayer.

I wasn't going to respond to this thread, but have you tested this out? im just wondering as im interested in where the opinion came from?

all fictional armies and units.

[...] all these dumb fictional units and leaving out all the real stuff

Please read.

And give me a reason to keep this thread open...

I wasn't going to respond to this thread, but have you tested this out? im just wondering as im interested in where the opinion came from?

Yes,i played it.Its great since it adds all the stuff from Arma 2,that i love so much.And it adds Physics for the A2 units.:D

Multiplayer? Nope,but as i said,i can SEE it being really difficult to make,at least for public servers,since the incompatibility is the biggest issue.Any addon that you don't have will make it impossible to join the game.

Apparently you can host dedicated servers with it,i just didn't find any yet.There's even a tutorial in the mod wiki.;)

It literally loads Arma 2/TOH/Arma 1 etc content as a mod. As far as Arma 3 cares, it's just a mod. That's it. It's no different from any other Arma 3 mod.

If you're playing an "otherwise modless" mission then I would think that you just need AiA/the games -- although requiring A2/OA is by design/intentional as per DnA's rules on forward porting (no redistributing BI's PBOs, but rather doing what AiA does) in lieu of any decision by BI on how to make an official incarnation.

Nope.

I wouldn't want to make the same game with same content over and over again, BI must feel the same way ;)

Hasn't this already been discussed multiple times? BIS has made their content, they aren't going to scrap it all because of some angry armchair soldiers.

We all knew from the START that ArmA 3 would have "unrealistic"/future equipment. We all saw it from the very first screenshots. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

Futuristic stuff are a very bad idea IMO. Sure there is no futuristic was simulator out there, but that's really because there is no other war simulator out there at all. We still need a proper modern war simulator. The futuristic one can wait until 2030 for all I care (by that time it wouldn't be futuristic, though, but again I don't actually care :)).

I know a lot of people that are really frustrated by the direction taken. Some refuse to buy the game as a result. I'll play it anyway because I like the realism, but I must say I'm disappointed. Now we'll be forced into waiting for people to make mods (if they ever do, as so far the amount of modding seems rather minimal compared to what I expected), and of course go through the hell of getting people to play together with the same mods on the same server.