Sign in to follow this  
Antorugby

Throttle problem

Hello, I've some problem with the throttle of my Hotas X, the throttle give power only when is on 51% when it should give power from 0% to 100% and 50% should be hovering, not gaining and not losing altitude.

I've read that it's a known problem from Arma 2, I've even found a tutorial to fix this using ppjoy but it's not working on my PC.

Also the throttle works fine with other games like FSX and I've read that is working even with Take On.

I'm using the throttle on analogic, so it's not that the problem.

This is not a big issue flying with heavy chopper, but using the little bird, when you need precision, is very difficult.

I think I'm not the only one with this issue, I've read about people using the X-52 that have the same problem, so, any tips or something?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Sorry to hijack this thread but I can't find any other that has my problem ( except the one for game pads ).

First of my joystick is Thrustmaster T.Flight Stick X.

I have an issue that is present from the start of Arma 3 Alpha where my throttle is not working properly and I tried bought Analog collective raise and normal one. The problem is when I put my throttle to neutral ( throttle set to middle ( sorry I don't know how to describe it )) my helicopter starts to lower its altitude instead of staying in the same altitude. Its the same with a jet expect there it starts break instead of keeping my current speed.

I don't know how to solve this issue or if there are more people experiencing this ( search brings me no joy ). Also my joystick works fine in arma 2 only arma 3 produces this issue.

I have set up my Joystick Setup this way (Thrustmaster Warthog & Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals)

Collective raise (Analog) : Thrustmaster Z-Axis - & Thrustmaster Z-Axis + (Yes, assign the negative and positive axis to this setting (Same thing applies to Arma 2 OA with 1.62)

Collective lower (Analog) : I set those to the Toe Pedals, works great.

IMHO Collective raise (Analog) and Collective lower (Analog) work just like they did in the newest Arma 2 OA Patch. Just different names.

Works fine here.

Best regards

Sorry to hijack this thread but I can't find any other that has my problem ( except the one for game pads ).

First of my joystick is Thrustmaster T.Flight Stick X.

I have an issue that is present from the start of Arma 3 Alpha where my throttle is not working properly and I tried bought Analog collective raise and normal one. The problem is when I put my throttle to neutral ( throttle set to middle ( sorry I don't know how to describe it )) my helicopter starts to lower its altitude instead of staying in the same altitude. Its the same with a jet expect there it starts break instead of keeping my current speed.

I don't know how to solve this issue or if there are more people experiencing this ( search brings me no joy ). Also my joystick works fine in arma 2 only arma 3 produces this issue.

Yeah, you have the same problem as me.

The problem is that if you go into the controller option, the throttle goes from -100 to 100 and you can only set the middle point to go more down and not up.

I used the tutorial that I posted before to make the throttle from 0 to 100 and in this case to make the chopper hover, in the option I had to set the middle point at something like 34.

Sorry for my bad English, I hope everything is clear.

I have set up my Joystick Setup this way (Thrustmaster Warthog & Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals)

Collective raise (Analog) : Thrustmaster Z-Axis - & Thrustmaster Z-Axis + (Yes, assign the negative and positive axis to this setting (Same thing applies to Arma 2 OA with 1.62)

Collective lower (Analog) : I set those to the Toe Pedals, works great.

IMHO Collective raise (Analog) and Collective lower (Analog) work just like they did in the newest Arma 2 OA Patch. Just different names.

Works fine here.

Best regards

I tried it but its the same only this time it starts descending when I almost completely lower my thrust, also I don't have any Pedals. In arma 2 it works by setting the Thrust/Brake Analog to Z-Axis +/- which then allows me to keep my altitude, if I have my thrust in the middle that is.

Yeah, you have the same problem as me.

The problem is that if you go into the controller option, the throttle goes from -100 to 100 and you can only set the middle point to go more down and not up.

I used the tutorial that I posted before to make the throttle from 0 to 100 and in this case to make the chopper hover, in the option I had to set the middle point at something like 34.

Sorry for my bad English, I hope everything is clear.

I will try this if this does not get fixed by developers. Will also make a ticket very soon.

I will try this if this does not get fixed by developers. Will also make a ticket very soon.

Did you ever submit a ticket? I'm having the same problems and want to help get some developer attention. Makes controlling a helicopter very tricky, especially when trying to land... Many moments where I'm trying to guess where the magic hover spot is but most of the time I just end up slamming into the ground. :(

Guys

Followed the link and installed ppjoy with glovepie..

Use this script

//debug = Joystick.z
PPJoy1.analog2 = (MapRange(-Joystick.Z, -1, 1, 0, 1))
//PPJoy1.Analog2 = (MapEnsureRange(-Joystick.slider, -1,1, 0,1)+1)/2
if (!var.init)
  var.sensitivity = 1
  var.test = 0
  var.init = true
endif

var.deltaX = Joystick.X - var.lastX
var.lastX = Joystick.x
var.deltaY = Joystick.Y - var.lastY
var.lastY = Joystick.y
var.keyTrim = Keyboard.b

if (var.keyTrim)
  PPJoy1.y = 0
  PPJoy1.x = 0
else
//    if (var.deltaX == 0)
//       PPJoy1.x = Joystick.x
//    endif

if (var.deltaX > 0)
      if (Joystick.x > 0)
         PPjoy1.x = Joystick.x * var.sensitivity
      endif
      if (Joystick.x < 0)
         PPJoy1.x = -Joystick.x * var.sensitivity
      endif
   endif

if (var.deltaX < 0)
      if (Joystick.x > 0)
         PPjoy1.x = -Joystick.x * var.sensitivity
      endif
      if (Joystick.x < 0)
         PPJoy1.x = Joystick.x * var.sensitivity
      endif
   endif

//    if (var.deltaY == 0)
//       PPJoy1.y = 0
//    endif

if (var.deltaY > 0)
      if (Joystick.y > 0)
         PPjoy1.y = Joystick.y * var.sensitivity
      endif
      if (Joystick.y < 0)
         PPJoy1.y = -Joystick.y * var.sensitivity
      endif
   endif

if (var.deltaY < 0)
      if (Joystick.y > 0)
         PPjoy1.y = -Joystick.y * var.sensitivity
      endif
      if (Joystick.y < 0)
         PPJoy1.y = Joystick.y * var.sensitivity
      endif
   endif
endif

debug = "KeyTrim: " + var.keyTrim + "      JoystickX: " + Joystick.X + "   lastX: " + var.lastX +  "   PPJoyX: " + PPJoy1.X + "  DeltaX: " + var.deltaX +  "     JoystickY:  " + Joystick.Y + "   lastY: " + var.lastY + " PPJoyY: "  + PPJoy1.y + "  DeltaY: " + var.deltaY

What a difference, to both flying the heli and using the full range of the hardware throttle, rather than having the bottom half braking..

Also using ARMA II launcher to start glovepie with the correct script while launching A3. I recommend anyone who is having problems with the joystick to follow the link and do it..

If needed, I can also do another pic tutorial, but it is fairly simple, please not that the -joystick (2nd line in script) is inverting it for myself because I am using a Saitek x52.

This script works better than the one used in the guide?

Did you check the vertical air speed?

Inviato dal mio GT-I9300 con Tapatalk 4

Did you ever submit a ticket? I'm having the same problems and want to help get some developer attention. Makes controlling a helicopter very tricky, especially when trying to land... Many moments where I'm trying to guess where the magic hover spot is but most of the time I just end up slamming into the ground. :(

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=14106

I have read through this post and the suggested "fix" for throttle issues. I believe I have a much simpler solution that seems to work perfectly for me. I am using the thrustmaster T.Flight.

First off, you will need a program that will change your direct X values for your controller. For this, I chose "DXTweak2". I would post a link, but I just created a login today and I'm not allowed yet. It is easy to find though at w w w wingmanteam . com

Once you have that, simply run the executable. There is nothing to install.

you should see a panel open with tabs at the top. Select your "throttle" from the tab. For the thrustmaster it will be listed as "Z axis". In the values on the right, look where it says calibration and we want to change the "cen" or center value. Change this to "190" and click apply.

That's it...Here is how it works out

In game, hop into a hummingbird sized heli (see note below for why), and go ahead and put it into auto hover so that no other direction changes will effect your testing. As you approach the center position of the throttle, the heli should start to produce lift. Not enough to take off, but it should be obvious its getting light. Once you reach center, the heli should start to rise quickly to 2-3 meters off the ground and slowly settle to 4-5 meters and stop. This initial height is most likely due to prop wash and ground effects from the rotors. Ignore it. At this point, you should be able to increase the throttle to any height (above 5 meters) and hover once you put the throttle back to center. Moving the throttle below center should cause the heli to start descending in proportion to how much below center you move the throttle. At any altitude going down, moving the throttle back to center should again lock in that altitude and the heli should hover there (this is assuming you have no forward or back motion and is anything above 5 meters of course). When at the 5 meter ground effect threshold, moving the throttle to anything less than center will land the heli. The throttle should be perfectly setup for helicopters now. I have tested with fixed wings and it seems to work just as well there, but I have a bit more testing to do in that area.

NOTE: Testing was done using a hummingbird. Larger craft will of course be heavier and require more throttle to achieve "neutral" with these settings. In testing I was able to achieve this with the largest helo's using a throttle setting just above center. If you normally fly smaller or larger helo's, I would suggest going back Into the Direct X control app and using a value of +/- 5 or so instead of exactly 190. This will create a smaller or larger "ground effect" and adjust hover point based on heli size.The 190 was perfect for a hummingbird sized heli.

Hope that solves some headaches!

Edited by 4th Horseman
Better clarity

Analog throttle didn't worked for me also. Then i put throttle to normal throtte where Q and Z are and now it working perfect in both heli and planes. I have T.Flight Stick X -- thrustmaster.com/products/tflight-stick-x

I'm using both analog and keys.

The up/down keys are under my thumb and analog -/+ is on the twist. Pedals are on my rudder pedals.

When flying analog just zero throttle, by releasing the twist, and press either key to neutral the collective. The twist self-centers.

So for normal flight, i just rock my thumb on the up/down buttons.

When i need the quick analog response, like for nap-of-earth flying, the twisty is a load of fun --real 'white knuckle' flying.

Interestingly, was reading up on helos, and some do use a 'motorcycle like' twist throttle for collective, if i read right.