Sign in to follow this  
][niipaa

A3B Arcade Helicopters

Hopefully the thread title will scare everyone away. Anywho, here is the Readme for my latest release, the Arcade Helicopters (It's really not that Arcade in my opinion).

Howdy folks. Another tweak to the Beta here. This time it's not a pot hole I'm trying to fill, but a gameplay aspect drastically being changed. Yes, change is scary. Good news, it's optional. Anyways, this Addon will change the way a Pilot and Gunner cooperate and coordinate in the Beta's current Gunships. The Pilot now has control over all Missile/Rocket-Type weaponry, while the Gunner maintains his domain over the Cannon.

Now, why would I go out and do such a dastardly thing so as to destroy the holy grail of realism that ArmA is? Well, the reasoning is multi-fold. For one, some people, as strange as this may sound, do prefer Singleplayer. While a minority, I have a feeling that there is at least one person who might find that this addon makes it easier on them as a Pilot with an AI gunner. Two being that, sometimes, it's hard for Pilots and Gunners to function effectively if one or the other lacks VOIP capability, or sometimes it's just difficult to line up the precise timing for a Rocket Run.

Either way, this isn't forced upon anyone, as with any Addon, it's completely optional. I'd prefer not to get flamed for these adjustments, but I'm not holding my breath. Though if even one person enjoys it, that's what matters. And as with any thing that comes from my dusty workshop, feel free to use it as you please. Credit isn't even required, though it's always appreciated. We learn from each others ideas, just like I learn from BI's configs. It's the circle of the creation.

Features:

Pilots of the AH-99 Blackfoot now have control over the DAGR and ASRAAM weapon systems.

Pilots of the Mi-48 Kajman now have control over the Skyfire and Skalpel ATGM weapon systems.

Known Issues - Notes:

I haven't seen any bugs yet, though if they do pop up, let me know. I'll see if I can fix them.

Standard Install.

Known Issues (Current):

AH-99 Blackfoot - Internal Weapon Bays DO NOT Open/Close properly. They do not Open/Close at all. They are suppose to open when the DAGR or ASRAAM are selected, however with the shift of these being Pilot Weaponry, something is not registering correctly anymore. A fix is attempting to be found, though right now, it's as is. (Thanks for finding this one Sahloknir.)

Download: Here

Edited by ][Niipaa

ACE did it, people don't seem to hate them for a lack of realism for sure. Don't really understand how anyone would see it as destroying the holy grail of Arma realism. Either way, good change.

Thanks for the support and the comment. Honestly haven't touched ACE in so long, forgot they did it.

This is pointless, if you wanted to be in control you could just select manual fire.

Manual Fire does not provide lock capabilities for a pilot there cutiepie. Better luck next time.

Also, that would make the gunner useless, and completely miss the whole point of this Addon.

Next time, please try to construct your argument in a more, I don't know, sensible manner. Oh, and read the Readme.

Construct Argument :

Iff you want to Play "ARCADE", then go and Play "Battlefield"!!!

No one Needs this Shit !

This is Arma 3 !! Dont destroy the Spirit of this Game !

Edited by (ST6)Predator

Thanks for informing us about the release :cool:

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

===================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

@ (ST6)Predator

Constructive moderation.

When you do not like an arcade addon, stay out of the thread and concentrate on your realism stuff............

What you do above is trolling and spamming. Warning +1

Thank you very much Foxhound.

I find it hilarious that ACE did it, and people don't say ACE is unrealistic. Put Arcade in the title, because I guess I use the word lightly, and all hell breaks loose. If this thread just becomes a flame fest then might as well close it. It's up to the moderators on that one in the end, but I won't shed a tear if it means all the, ahem, realism aficionados have one less reason to be upset. And I certainly don't want to create a breeding ground for it either.

A little back on topic:

A3B Helicopters & MP - So this is the way it works right now:

If you make a mission with this Addon enabled, and put down one of the three current Beta Gunships in the editor (AH-99 Blackfoot, Mi-48 Kajman (Normal & Black)), then all players will require the Addon. Alternatively, if you spawn the helicopters in by any other means, and you are the running the Addon, then the Helicopters will work as described, and others who fly them will see them with no Mags for the pilots slot. This also means on most Dedicated Servers, the choppers you fly, if they are in the mission at the start, will be default. But if you are the one spawning them in (A buy script for example), they will be the tweaked version. It's a very strange affair of client side/server side locality.

Needless to say, if you want to make a mission, but do NOT want others to have to have the addon, disable it while you make it. Then host it when it's completed with the Addon enabled/disabled. I'll still try to help others with understanding all this locality business if they need it. Until next time.

Construct Argument :

Iff you want to Play "ARCADE", then go and Play "Battlefield"!!!

No one Needs this Shit !

This is Arma 3 !! Dont destroy the Spirit of this Game !

Another big part of Arma is that you can mod whatever you want.

So if he like this why not? If someone else like to download and use this mod why not?

Its their choice, no one should here be flamed for anything HE CREATES and SHARE.

Please ignore the fools posting REALISM OMG!!!!!11!!

If you don't like it how about you don't download it and use it????

Thank you for releasing this. I love ACE and all the realism crap but it's actually possible to like 'arcade' stuff at the same time (crazy, right??). Arma needs more of this stuff IMO.

looks nice :D

i always disliked how the unguided stuff was in the domain of someone that can't control the helicopter

[Niipaa;2433307']I find it hilarious that ACE did it' date=' and people don't say ACE is unrealistic.[/quote']

ACE didn't, really. ACE gives the pilot control of rockets only. Guided weapons are the domain of the co-pilot/gunner.

Anyway, make the mods you want to make. Don't bother with the preamble. If someone doesn't like it, then they don't need to use it. The end, full stop.

I appreciate all the support and kind words. And I figured as much that ACE might have done that way, but even so, one could of gone to say: "Oh they copied BF2 (Cobra's were 2 Seaters with FFARs by Pilot and Cannon/TV missiles by Gunner).". But anyways, I digress, you're all right. That this is optional, and that was the point I was trying to maintain. I'm all for criticism, and I'm all for opinions, but then there's "This sucks" or "Yadayada Realism". I've been playing since ArmA 1, I wish I could say I am an OFP Vet, but I'm not. I love the realism and all, but sometimes, it's nice to take a step back, realize it's a game, and get a little convenience sake out of it. Realism doesn't always mean things have to be difficult. I bet it's a helluva lot easier for Gunship crews to communicate and coordinate in the real thing (Under fire or not) than it is over VOIP. There's no latency in real life, friends.

But I'm done covering that debate, again, I thank you all for the support, it's nice to know the majority is cool with it, even if they don't agree with it (Which is 100% fine). As I stated in the A3B Support thread, I try to check these daily in case of bugs/requests, so if anyone has issues, let me know and I'll try to fix them. Other than that, Happy 4th of July to all my US friends, and happy almost weekend to all the others out there.

Awesome work ! :)

Thanks for the mod, i really really like it, i play more single player and this mod really helps :) Thanks! :)

But i found one little bug:

Normally the AH-99 put up his rockets like this:

2013-06-29_0001164s4r.jpg

But with youre mod it always looks so:

2013-06-29_000120ksh2.jpg

Please don't get me wrong, its not really disturbing but would be cool if you can fix that :)

Thanks again for the mod :)

Keep up the good work and sorry for my english! ;)

Interesting catch Sahloknir! I'm glad you're enjoying it, and as for that bug. Herm. I'll have to take a gander at the config, and see what I can do. I have a feeling that with BI implementing a lot more moving parts, it could be an easy fix. Flipside, it could be a nightmare. I just need to make it recognize that it no longer needs a gunner for those to be deployed. Good eye, and I'll get back to you with what I come up with.

1. don't call it "arcade". this is a game like any other and this is just a mod for it. no need to go overboard with the title.

2. don't start your thread with a lengthy statement why people might not like your addon. just release and describe what it does. simple

other than that, nice release. keep it up!

I appreciate your input, but I prefer to release things in my own manner, and if others don't like that then they can simply move along. I feel the title accurately describes what this is. And what it is, is a step away from "realism". As for my lengthy statement, as I said, no one has to read it. But, and maybe this is just because I've seen the darker sides of this community from afar for too long, I felt it would be best to properly inform not only veterans of the series, but newcomers as well as to what they're getting into. Kind of, covering the bases if you will. But, to each his own I suppose, thanks for the support.

In retrospect however, I cannot argue with you about the title too much. I do have regrets about it, as I felt it may have been taken as an "off the deep end" rather than a "step away" kind of magnitude. So your points are very valid. I guess I just prefer to do things a certain way, consequences be damned sometimes.

More on topic and to the point, as for that bug found earlier, I can see it isn't going to be an easy fix. I do intend on fixing it, as I can't believe I missed the absolute immersion killer that is firing missiles out thin air. I'll just need my friend to get home from his vacation so I can have two sets of eyes on the job. Enjoy your weekend everyone.

Edited by ][Niipaa

Great Addons.

Nice additional option in the game.

Thanks for posting.

For the life of me, I can't find a fix for this bug. Without the Addon, on Manual Fire, when cycling weapons, Internal Bays do open/close properly. But something about having the pilot start with and have control of the weapons that are supposed to open/close them is not working. Or I'm being a moron. Regardless, I'll look at it through the days if I think of something, but right now, I'm stumped. The best I can do is add it to the Known Issue list, and keep trying to figure it out. Who knows, maybe someone else will figure it out before I do. Until then, I guess pretend they open? Sorry guys, I'm trying.

[Niipaa;2436500']For the life of me' date=' I can't find a fix for this bug. Without the Addon, on Manual Fire, when cycling weapons, Internal Bays do open/close properly. But something about having the pilot start with and have control of the weapons that are supposed to open/close them is not working. Or I'm being a moron. Regardless, I'll look at it through the days if I think of something, but right now, I'm stumped. The best I can do is add it to the Known Issue list, and keep trying to figure it out. Who knows, maybe someone else will figure it out before I do. Until then, I guess pretend they open? Sorry guys, I'm trying.[/quote']

i would say their is a script that checks when the copilot/gunner has that weapon selected.

their is some new code (i don't know the structure) that lets you check specific positions in a vehicle, so you may need to find that.

maybe search for the internal (as in what the code calls it) name of the weapon in scripts releating to both the helicopter, and the weapon it self

I was trying to look into it, but couldn't find much associated with it. Gonna break apart the Data.pbo and such to go look for anything else. I'll keep at it.

Can you extend this mod to include drones, and give drone turret operaturs access to the Skalpel ATGM missiles? That would make them much more useful and realistic.