Sign in to follow this  
tpw

TPW FALL: realistic infantry falling system

Thanks again TPW - I really like the "falls from damage" script. Sooo much better than "I've been shot and need to twitch!" Can you get it to apply to crouch and prone also?

Again excellent stuff

cheers

Thanks again TPW - I really like the "falls from damage" script. Sooo much better than "I've been shot and need to twitch!" Can you get it to apply to crouch and prone also?

Again excellent stuff

cheers

Thanks petek. I've actually almost got it to release quality, it works for standing and crouch. Prone units have no further to drop!

Prone units have no further to drop!

I don't know if this is relevant because the situation can be avoided, but a soldier who is at the edge of a cliff in the prone position might move and eventually fall off the edge.

Thanks petek. I've actually almost got it to release quality, it works for standing and crouch. Prone units have no further to drop!

Good point on the prone! I'll have to check the "twitchiness" from getting shot in prone.

Thanks again. I've said it before but I am always very impressed by the output from the community. Kept me coming back for 12 years or whatever!

Luvin the fall when damaged! Can't always tell if enemies are dead or just wounded and have to stick around to fire off that last last chamber. Awesome.

hey TPW, I hope you dont mind, but for my personal use, i took your 1.07 version. Then De_pbo'd 1.06 addon version, and swapped all the files and changed the path and folder names to _107 .. and have it (version 1.07) working as an addon. THANKS ITS GREAT!!!!!! Its just because swapping out updated versions of scripts in my SP missions is becoming a pain. Thanks AGAIN!!!! I hope to see an official addon soon. :bounce3:

Of course I don't mind mate, it specifically says in the script that you are free to do what you want with it. Just be aware that BIS dev builds are causing inconsistent animation behaviour and script errors, so I am doing my best to work with this for the next release, possibly today.

TPW FALL 1.07: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/481663/tpw_fall_script-107.zip

Here is a test (script only) version of TPW FALL which introduces valentinbk's suggestion to have units fall when shot/damaged.

Currently it is very simple: if a unit is standing and is shot (any bullet) or damaged from an explosive nearby, it will drop using the same weapon dependent animations as for falling, lie on the ground for a few seconds, and then get back up. The unit's fatigue will be increased, but all other health and damage stuff is handled by the engine. There is no ragdoll, unless the unit is killed. Crouching or prone units react to bullets as per default.

To install:

Extract the tpw_fall directory to your mission directory

To use:

Call the script from the init.sqf or the init field of anything in the editor

0 = [100,200,1] execvm "tpw_fall\tpw_fallinit.sqf";

100 = the sensitivity

200 = distance from player that realistic falls will occur

1 = hint

I know the animations aren't the most realistic or appropriate, but the effect still looks cool and better than the default of standing there absorbing damage. Please test it and let me know if it's worth pursuing.

man, this is 110% worth pursuing. great thinking here. Cheers!

Couldnt get 1.07 to work (I really suck at this stuff), will the addon release happen any time soon?

Love the fall down on shot thing, there's like no delay and it looks amazing.

Enemies can also ragdoll mid fall down animation.

Hello there

I've been sucked into this thread on finding out that bullet hits affect AI. Cannot wait for a working full mod version of this.

Keeping my eye on this one.

Q. Do AI suffer from general falls as well as the hits?

Rgds

LoK

Hi guys

I will post a full addon version in a few hours. I think I've worked around the most annoying beta problems.

The AI (now including civilians) and player will all react to falls from various heights, and bullet hits and explosions, by falling to the ground..

TPW FALL v1.07: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/481663/TPW_FALL_107.zip

Changes:

• Now works for all units on a map, combatant and civilian
  • Units will fall if hit by bullets or nearby explosions
  • Civilians will crawl after being hit
  • Some code changes to accommodate variable declaration and animation handling issues in recent dev builds

New version frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

===================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Thanks again - look forward to testing it later

Great stuff

GJ tpw, Im having a blast!

Looking forward to seeing where you will take this mod in the future.

Woah, nice job with the update man, everything is so much more smooth now!

The animations trigger at the right times, it's amazing!

lol.

this is fantastic. the feedback on hitting add immersion but just as importantly if an AI goes down they might get up. so now keeping an eye on AI is a little more important

one suggestion, in combat operations one of the biggest dangers is enemy who have been hit often pretend to be dead and then fire from point blank. do you think that'd be possible here? force player to makes sure a dead guy really is dead. if player doesnt come close in about 60 secs the ai gets up and limps off to try hide and ambush or something.

I don't like this one.

I think it is waaay too punishing at fall damage. No soldier would fall down, when he jumps down from a 0.5-1m height.

If you could change it in a way, that small heights would force you into crouch plus a sound and only higher falls would result in the side fall, i might consider it "realistic".

Fair enough mate, don't use it.

Or alternatively, note that smaller falls already cause a unit into a crouch only, with larger falls causing a full drop to ground. And that you can adjust the overall sensitivity of the system so that it meets your standards of realism.

I don't like this one.

I think it is waaay too punishing at fall damage. No soldier would fall down, when he jumps down from a 0.5-1m height.

If you could change it in a way, that small heights would force you into crouch plus a sound and only higher falls would result in the side fall, i might consider it "realistic".

I don't like this one.

Sure, if you look down and plan your jump you want fall. But when you run forward looking forward and dont notice a 1m drop, hell yeah you will fall.

How often do you jump down from an edge, without planning to fall?

@tpw:

I suppose you mean:

TPWFALL_SENSITIVITY = 100; //Sensitivity of unit to falls (%). 50 = unit half as likely to fall over from a given height.

i thought "half as likely" would mean, that you could only set the "probability", not the height. Would 50 translate in a doubled distance, before the soldier falls to the ground?

How often do you jump down from an edge, without planning to fall?

@tpw:

I suppose you mean:

i thought "half as likely" would mean, that you could only set the "probability", not the height. Would 50 translate in a doubled distance, before the soldier falls to the ground?

Yes. The system is slightly probabilistic, in that a 2m fall might be interpreted at between 1.8-2.2m. If you set sensitivity to 50% then the system will interpret a 2m fall as 0.9-1.1m.

The fact is, the default engine allows you to run around Agia charging off the edge of the 2m canals with no penalty. With TPW FALL at its default settings you can't do that without falling. If that doesn't suit you then you can either adjust sensitivity (and don't quibble my wording), or not use it. Getting on here and unapologetically telling the author who volunteered this mod that you don't like his work and find it unrealistic without even having explored the configuration options is pretty much a guaranteed way to piss said author off.

Edited by tpw

That's a good mod, I started to use it with the jump addon :)

One suggestion though, since there's a fall each time a bullet hit you, could you add a subtle fade to black to simulate surprise and pain ? because as of now, when you go deathmatch you fall often and that's the main feedback.

On the animation side, it's a little shame that only right or left fall are possible... I imagine it would be so much better with front and back fall.

Anyway, thanks for the addon !