Sign in to follow this  
Weecow

Arma 3 massive FPS issues, Tried everything - Nothing works.

Doesn't terrain detail use quite some cpu as well? Maybe try and lower that setting a bit too?

That's a quad core. I have the exact same CPU, it's also known as Intel Core 2 Quad, so you should do some exploring before stating it's a dualcore. Dual core's go by Exxxx (Or Intel Core 2 Duo) and then comes Intel Pentium D series. Can't say I have any complaints as this old Q6600 OC'ed to 3GHZ performs really well with ArmA 2 and 3.

Thought that was a dual core with HT, but I could be wrong.

I think there is an underlying issue with the engine that plaques some of our systems. Since I have a fair bit of experience in trying to squeeze every frame outta my setup since our mod (the unsung) is very FPS intensive. With A3 Beta I have noticed FPS popping. Meaning, I can be running 60+ fps then when i move it can drop to 25fps until it catches up or I stop and the draw distance catches up . I'm running a MSI GT70 with the 675M card. I'm hoping its just an issue with the beta and will be fixed when the full version comes out in a few days.

Edited by SGT_SAVAGE

The problem is not your CPU or GPU, the problem is in Arma 3 engine. To prove my point, i will give you an example.. If you run Infantry showcase "the first mission" and set your graphics to ultra (if you have a high end gpu, high if its mid range) except for AA, you will notice that your gpu usage is pretty high when the mission starts and you will also be getting 40+ frames (on my Gtx 660ti usage is about 90% on ultra except for AA). As you move on in the mission and number of AI and scripting increases you will notice that your frame rates will start to drop along side with your gpu usage.

Now all the showcases are still playable but if you join a MP server with large number of players you will notice that your GPU usage is pretty low which causing low frame rate as well. I have experienced that if im in a high number player server my gpu usage is always below 40% and my cpu cores are also below 55%. You can test this even in editor spawn as the player on the map and check your cpu and gpu usage, you will find that with good frames gpu/cpu usage is pretty high but in the same spot if you spawn some vehicles and AI's and do some scripting you will notice that your Gpu/cpu usage drops with your fps rate.

In short this is a problem with engine or game. Im not a technical person so i don't know what causes this problem, but i hope with in few months they will solve this issue.

I love ARMA

Remember that Shadow Details must be always at least High settings. Always, even when someone plays in Lowest settings.

Shadows Details:

Low-Standard setting = CPU calculates shadows = FPS drops

High-Ultra = GPU calculates shadows = Is always better than above setting.

Dont OC with stock cooler if you dont know absolutely 100% sure what you are doing, if you OC you got massive temps and if yours MB safety systems fails, example bug in firmware its not impossible than yours CPU takes a massive hit.

Every ones who knows something about OC:ing, suggest for sure that change your cooler before OC:ing.

Unless someone can explain why turning shadows to "high" does not negatively impact performance, it remains a joke. If were to follow the above logic, then adjusting the other settings upward to make the GPU take over should yield best results in SLI. But it doesn't.

Edited by RGN_07

your graphic card is fine but your cpu is a little bit lowend.

1.decrease all cpu dependend settings like:

-object detail

-terrain detail

-visibility

2. increase all gpu dependend settings like:

-shadow to veryhigh or ultra (because on standard its made by cpu and above high its rendered by graphiccard)

-Antialiasing

3. disable

-SSAO

-PIP

Yeh, I have massive issues online. I get 50FPS in SP, yet 12-14 FPS in multi.

Unless someone can explain why turning shadows to "high" does not negatively impact performance, it remains a joke. If were to follow the above logic, then adjusting the other settings upward to make the GPU take over should yield best results in SLI. But it doesn't.

Shadows on normal or above move their rendering to your gpu, shadows on low force cpu-only shadows.

Ultra everything in SP with v-sync gives me a solid framerate. It's the MP. Certain servers pin me at 28fps no matter what I do with the settings. The only thing that seems to help even slightly on public servers is setting the in-server distance settings options to something really low like 600-800. People fail to realize that in most cases it's not the hardware, but issues pertaining to game engine and/or multiplayer servers.

I've tried EVERY tweak in the book and the tweaks only seem to work for SP. TBH, it's as if certain servers have a built in frame limiter as if to even out the playing field.

windows 7-64bit

i7 quad @ 3.6

8 gigs ram

660ti

This setup easily runs SP on ultra. I'm just hoping official servers come out some day where the framerate issues may be less game breaking. At least it's not a twitch shooter where a solid 60 fps is a must. I can tolerate 25-30 FPS in Arma's style of play for the most part.

your graphic card is fine but your cpu is a little bit lowend.

Your GPU doesnt have to be that powerful, it all depends on your CPU really. Arma has always been very CPU dependent.

I recommend unparking your CPU (if it has multiple cores) worked on my end, and got a 30 fps increase.

Ultra everything in SP with v-sync gives me a solid framerate. It's the MP. Certain servers pin me at 28fps no matter what I do with the settings. The only thing that seems to help even slightly on public servers is setting the in-server distance settings options to something really low like 600-800. People fail to realize that in most cases it's not the hardware, but issues pertaining to game engine and/or multiplayer servers.

I've tried EVERY tweak in the book and the tweaks only seem to work for SP. TBH, it's as if certain servers have a built in frame limiter as if to even out the playing field.

windows 7-64bit

i7 quad @ 3.6

8 gigs ram

660ti

This setup easily runs SP on ultra. I'm just hoping official servers come out some day where the framerate issues may be less game breaking. At least it's not a twitch shooter where a solid 60 fps is a must. I can tolerate 25-30 FPS in Arma's style of play for the most part.

The multi player mission view distance defines the view distance for the clients.

I am being helpful. Sometimes the truth is just hard to take. We've been over this stuff for years now when the only real solution was for BIS to fix their engine. They didn't. Now we just have to move on.

I agree with Jay here, it's not your rig or your settings mate, it's the game.

GAME for sure this needs more attention I cant believe the DEVS are ignoring this/us.

for many many years since arma 1 BIS has all ways amazed me with there support constant patches and I praised them for it but this issue seems to get over looked every new arma release :(

BIS please for god sake reply put us out of our misery please I beg you :(