Sign in to follow this  
Weecow

Arma 3 massive FPS issues, Tried everything - Nothing works.

Hello, Since the day I bought arma 3 Alpha (Now beta) I have been experiencing massive FPS issues and drops. At the start I totally ignored it but I was running about 15 - 20 FPS, which annoyed me after a while

So I started searching google tried to modify settings the .cfg file and managed to get my FPS a bit up to about 20 - 25.

Yesterday I spend 2 hours in trying to get good FPS again, and it worked I had like 30 - 40 FPS which is for me quite play able. But when I was in a shoot out or other intensive things it just dropped to about 15 - 20 / 20 - 25 FPS. But well that didn't really matter for me since today when I started up my arma 3 beta and suddenly it ran about 19 FPS, max 25. And drops to about 12 - 15 FPS, which is not really playable for me. I will list some things i tried to do:

I edited the arma3.cfg file:

language="English";

forcedAdapterId=-1;

detectedAdapterId=0;

detectedAdapterVendorId=4318;

detectedAdapterDeviceId=4483;

detectedAdapterSubSysId=894571608;

detectedAdapterRevision=161;

detectedAdapterBenchmark=86;

displayMode=0;

winX=16;

winY=32;

winWidth=1024;

winHeight=768;

winDefWidth=1024;

winDefHeight=768;

fullScreenWidth=1920;

fullScreenHeight=1080;

refresh=60;

renderWidth=1920;

renderHeight=1080;

multiSampleCount=4;

multiSampleQuality=0;

particlesQuality=0;

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1;

GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=1;

HDRPrecision=16;

vsync=0;

AToC=14;

cloudsQuality=2;

pipQuality=1;

dynamicLightsQuality=1;

PPAA=1;

ppSSAO=1;

ppCaustics=1;

serverLongitude=52;

serverLatitude=4;

ppBloom=1;

ppRotBlur=0.03624488;

ppRadialBlur=0.03624488;

ppDOF=0.39275074;

I have set my arma 3 video settings.

Sampling | 100%

Texture | Very High

Objects | Very High

Terrain | Very High

Shadow | Standard

Particles | Standard

Cloud | Standard

PIP | Low

HDR | Standard

Dynamic Lights | Standard

Visibility:

Overall | 523

Object | 523

Shadow | 65

Display Mode | Fullscreen

Resolution | 1920x1080

Aspect ratio | 16:9 wide

Vsync | DISABLED

Interface | Small

Brightness | 1.0

Gamma | 1.0

Bloom | 100

Radial Blur | 4

Rotation blur | 4

Depth of field | 39

SSAO | Standard

Caustics | Enabled

FSAA | 4x

PPAA | FXAA Standard

Aniso Filtering | Very high

I have tried to run Steam through Game Booster.

I tried to close applications on my desktop

I've followed a guide for FPS tweaks (Can't set the link here as i dont have 1 post)

I'm totally lost I don't know what to do now. I hope some of you guys could possibly help me out. I love this game.

Hello, Since the day I bought arma 3 Alpha (Now beta) I have been experiencing massive FPS issues and drops. At the start I totally ignored it but I was running about 15 - 20 FPS, which annoyed me after a while

So I started searching google tried to modify settings the .cfg file and managed to get my FPS a bit up to about 20 - 25.

Yesterday I spend 2 hours in trying to get good FPS again, and it worked I had like 30 - 40 FPS which is for me quite play able. But when I was in a shoot out or other intensive things it just dropped to about 15 - 20 / 20 - 25 FPS. But well that didn't really matter for me since today when I started up my arma 3 beta and suddenly it ran about 19 FPS, max 25. And drops to about 12 - 15 FPS, which is not really playable for me. I will list some things i tried to do:

I edited the arma3.cfg file:

language="English";

forcedAdapterId=-1;

detectedAdapterId=0;

detectedAdapterVendorId=4318;

detectedAdapterDeviceId=4483;

detectedAdapterSubSysId=894571608;

detectedAdapterRevision=161;

detectedAdapterBenchmark=86;

displayMode=0;

winX=16;

winY=32;

winWidth=1024;

winHeight=768;

winDefWidth=1024;

winDefHeight=768;

fullScreenWidth=1920;

fullScreenHeight=1080;

refresh=60;

renderWidth=1920;

renderHeight=1080;

multiSampleCount=4;

multiSampleQuality=0;

particlesQuality=0;

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1;

GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=1;

HDRPrecision=16;

vsync=0;

AToC=14;

cloudsQuality=2;

pipQuality=1;

dynamicLightsQuality=1;

PPAA=1;

ppSSAO=1;

ppCaustics=1;

serverLongitude=52;

serverLatitude=4;

ppBloom=1;

ppRotBlur=0.03624488;

ppRadialBlur=0.03624488;

ppDOF=0.39275074;

Sampling | 100%

Texture | Very High

Objects | Very High

Terrain | Very High

Shadow | Standard

Particles | Standard

Cloud | Standard

PIP | Low

HDR | Standard

Visibility:

Overall | 523

Object | 523

Shadow | 65

Resolution | 1920x1080

Vsync | DISABLED

Interface | Small

Brightness | 1.0

Gamma | 1.0

Bloom | 100

Radial Blur | 4

Rotation blur | 4

Depth of field | 39

SSAO | Standard

Caustics | Enabled

FSAA | 4x

PPAA | FXAA Standard

I have tried to run Steam through Game Booster.

I tried to close applications on my desktop

I've followed a guide for FPS tweaks (Can't set the link here as i dont have 1 post)

I'm totally lost I don't know what to do now. I hope some of you guys could possibly help me out. I love this game.

Sadly, the ARMA engine is a disaster performance-wise. It's best just to move on to a new game.

do the followinf;

1- Disable everything in AA & PP tab

2- Lower texture/objects/terrain to high.

3- set sampling to 88 %

4- increase visibility to 1200 and objects to 1100

this should give you a base.

from there on first set sampling to 100% and play with AA & PP settings. keep in mind that AA will significantly effect your FPS. Also depending on the ingame activity FPS can go down to 20-25s temporarily which is OK for Arma. and make these changes in game rather then on the file.

Sadly, the ARMA engine is a disaster performance-wise. It's best just to move on to a new game.

That's really helpful. If you cant say anything to help people who come onto these forums for help then don't bother.

Anyway,

Weecow, can you post your system specs please?

This is probably the most helpful thing I have seen posted on these forums,,,, well done JaySmizzle for giving the only intelligent answer to everyone's performance issues at this stage in the game :)

Bohemia should probably increase the system requirements a bit, the phenom I's do not cope.

That's really helpful. If you cant say anything to help people who come onto these forums for help then don't bother.

Anyway,

Weecow, can you post your system specs please?

I am being helpful. Sometimes the truth is just hard to take. We've been over this stuff for years now when the only real solution was for BIS to fix their engine. They didn't. Now we just have to move on.

system specs would help..

I am sorry for that, I totally forgot it after i posted it since this thread needed approval I couldn't edit it.

Anyways here are the specs;

Processor - Intel i3 2120 @ 2x 3.3 GHz

RAM - 4GB (Also it says i have 3.6GB, is it due to me having an windows 32 bit OS?)

HDD - Western Digital 500GB 7200RPM

GPU - Nvidia Gigabyte GTX660Ti

OS - Windows 8 32Bit

lower object and terrain quality to low or medium and see how that works, also turn off PiP, lower FSAA to 2x, turn off bloom and blur, it might help.

I am sorry for that, I totally forgot it after i posted it since this thread needed approval I couldn't edit it.

Anyways here are the specs;

Processor - Intel i3 2120 @ 2x 3.3 GHz

RAM - 4GB (Also it says i have 3.6GB, is it due to me having an windows 32 bit OS?)

HDD - Western Digital 500GB 7200RPM

GPU - Nvidia Gigabyte GTX660Ti

OS - Windows 8 32Bit

I think you need to get into a 64bit OS so games can have as much RAM as possible without having to share 3.6GB with the OS. This is very important I have found with FPS in ARMA 2 and 3.

I think you need to get into a 64bit OS so games can have as much RAM as possible without having to share 3.6GB with the OS. This is very important I have found with FPS in ARMA 2 and 3.

Thank you, I shall install an windows 8 64 bit right now. I hope some things will work out better, and I will come back with a small report. Thank you all for replying!

Overclock your CPU as much as you can.

People didn't recommend me to overclock it since I just use the bad stock cooler.

People didn't recommend me to overclock it since I just use the bad stock cooler.

i ran a 2500k @ 4.5ghz with a stock cooler for a few weeks, all you have to do is take it easy with the voltage and monitor your temperatures

Remember that Shadow Details must be always at least High settings. Always, even when someone plays in Lowest settings.

Shadows Details:

Low-Standard setting = CPU calculates shadows = FPS drops

High-Ultra = GPU calculates shadows = Is always better than above setting.

Dont OC with stock cooler if you dont know absolutely 100% sure what you are doing, if you OC you got massive temps and if yours MB safety systems fails, example bug in firmware its not impossible than yours CPU takes a massive hit.

Every ones who knows something about OC:ing, suggest for sure that change your cooler before OC:ing.

Edited by Hiikeri

you can overclock with the stock cooler, probably wont get that far if you want to keep temps in the safe zone though. Anyway, sandy and ivy i3's cant be overclocked, so not even an option.

you can overclock with the stock cooler, probably wont get that far if you want to keep temps in the safe zone though. Anyway, sandy and ivy i3's cant be overclocked, so not even an option.

I think you can do it via the FSB but you wont get much :(

shame you cant go with w7 64 bit for the extra ram as that might help also. I have 6 gig here of ddr3 @1333 i'd gladly send for free if it helped you out. First thing i would do is default your gpu settings in nvidia delete your arma configs and let the game make new ones. Then just go from there, i have also found that the ssd's for ArmA are a must these days as the texture problems are pretty much gone for me...the alternative is maybe a hybrid drive...but that's all money. cheaper version is ram drive but not sure how all that works...will be on these forums somewhere. Overclock is a definite option also but it's time consuming and frustrating when it goes wrong as iv'e found out :-).

Edited by KrIxXuS

Possible solutions:

Go to arma3.cfg and put frames ahed from 1k to 1.

On ocasion you can also check your cpu or gpu is not having ton of dust in it.

I have the feeling i gained some fps by putting: -cpuCount=4 -exThreads=3

as starting parameters within steam.

My Specs are:

q6600@3,0ghz (quadcore without hyperthreading thats why i put cpu count=4 and extra Threads 3)

8 gig

ssd

and an 7870

win 8 64

Its hard to say if there was a real improvement or it was just my imagination, but try it if you havent yet...

I have the feeling i gained some fps by putting: -cpuCount=4 -exThreads=3

as starting parameters within steam.

My Specs are:

q6600@3,0ghz (quadcore without hyperthreading thats why i put cpu count=4 and extra Threads 3)

8 gig

ssd

and an 7870

win 8 64

Its hard to say if there was a real improvement or it was just my imagination, but try it if you havent yet...

-cpuCount=4 -exThreads=3 that one doesnt work,because you dont have 4 cores on your CPU only 2.Also it doesnt matter if you change the Terrain,Ojbect,AF,Shadows or othere settings in ARMA 3 nothing will change.

You can play on Ultra or on Low you will have the same FPS,the only thing that gives you FPS in Singleplayer is viewdistance and Objectviewdistance.

The Higher your CPU is clocked the higher you can raise the view distance,on 3,3 ghz in singpleplayer you can go for viewdistance up to 3200 View and object on 1800.

In Multiplayer you only can change viewdistance over the Player Menu with the mouse wheel,there you will see a menu near,medium,far,insane on medium even i have shitty FPS with a GTX 680 4GB 8GB ram and Core i7-860 2.8GHZ.

Everything above view distance Medium needs a cpu of a core i7-3770K with 3.5 GHZ and on insane hmm it would work with a Core i7-3770K but only in turbo mode with 3,9GHZ.

Problem here is that arma only uses 1 Core and only 30-45 GPU power,so it doesnt matter what kind of PC you have atleast in Multiplayer the server also should have the power to support your PC.

-cpuCount=4 -exThreads=3 that one doesnt work,because you dont have 4 cores on your CPU only 2.Also it doesnt matter if you change the Terrain,Ojbect,AF,Shadows or othere settings in ARMA 3 nothing will change.

You can play on Ultra or on Low you will have the same FPS,the only thing that gives you FPS in Singleplayer is viewdistance and Objectviewdistance.

The Higher your CPU is clocked the higher you can raise the view distance,on 3,3 ghz in singpleplayer you can go for viewdistance up to 3200 View and object on 1800.

In Multiplayer you only can change viewdistance over the Player Menu with the mouse wheel,there you will see a menu near,medium,far,insane on medium even i have shitty FPS with a GTX 680 4GB 8GB ram and Core i7-860 2.8GHZ.

Everything above view distance Medium needs a cpu of a core i7-3770K with 3.5 GHZ and on insane hmm it would work with a Core i7-3770K but only in turbo mode with 3,9GHZ.

Problem here is that arma only uses 1 Core and only 30-45 GPU power,so it doesnt matter what kind of PC you have atleast in Multiplayer the server also should have the power to support your PC.

Umm.... He has a quad core. Hence the "Q" in the CPU model name.

Sampling | 100%

Texture | Very High

Objects | Very High

Terrain | Very High

Shadow | Standard Set this to max and it will offload on the CPU

Particles | Standard

Cloud | Standard

PIP | Low

HDR | Standard

Visibility:

Overall | 523

Object | 523

Shadow | 65

Resolution | 1920x1080

Vsync | DISABLED

Interface | Small

Brightness | 1.0

Gamma | 1.0

Bloom | 100 Yuk, whatever you like though. I would sure as hel have this near zero

Radial Blur | 4

Rotation blur | 4

Depth of field | 39

SSAO | Standard Big FPS killer, best disabled.

Caustics | Enabled

FSAA | 4x Set to 2

PPAA | FXAA Standard Set to max SMAA, more efficient than FXAA

Some tips to try in bold above.

That's a quad core. I have the exact same CPU, it's also known as Intel Core 2 Quad, so you should do some exploring before stating it's a dualcore. Dual core's go by Exxxx (Or Intel Core 2 Duo) and then comes Intel Pentium D series. Can't say I have any complaints as this old Q6600 OC'ed to 3GHZ performs really well with ArmA 2 and 3.