Sign in to follow this  
Qosmius

Portable missile launchers, have fun on public servers

they are very fun to use :) me and a friend were on a king of the hill server today, each of us took with us about 9 or 10 aa missiles each. 20 in total, went to a hill not so far away from where enemy helis took off. out of 20 missiles i would say we took out 18 of them with the power of tab lock and overpowered missiles.

for real, absolutely every aa missile was a 1 hit kill..not even a single missile even damaged them slightly, only brutal overkill every time. i would expect atleast maybe that they would be able to escape some times with some engine failure or such but no..they drop down like bricks every single time

if you want some fun just do the same :) pick up aa launcher. take 10 missiles with you, go near enemy base and voila you have air domination

---------- Post added at 20:09 ---------- Previous post was at 20:05 ----------

also it is not possible to emergency land ingame either..as you can in real life (autorotation)...insta death if anything hits the heli

Thats really a bullshit. Im getting regret about what i bought. Same old stories for years. What do devs do actually im start wondering? More fancy graphics so you cant play the game from FPS drops, thats all we got so far.

Edited by JarmenKeLL

Autorotation is broken as a very temporary glitch.

MANPADs murder helicopters. It's what they were designed for. You were shooting them at careless people who weren't using countermeasures in a mission that allowed enemy AA teams to get fatally close to landing zones. So you're complaining about an absolutely realistic and predictable result for that mission.

Wait for the autorotation fix, wait for Altis and don't be an off-topic whiny bitch like JarmenKeLL.

You're welcome.

maturin..it has been broken since arma 1 then? :P...helis have some armor to you know..out of 20 helis i would guess that atleast 1 or 2 would be able to get home damaged and not fall like a rock out of the sky

And no one came to kill you both? They deserved it.

Anyway, launchers were just added to the game (Alpha ones were placeholders), expect tweaks.

yes i know, i just posted this so that more ppls get aware of it and more ppls can do it so they can experience it themself. helicopter damage modell needs some work, and maybe some new lock on system?

Blame the scenario.

Arma has never been balanced for those take-whatever-weapon-you-like types of scenarios and there have always been complaints about this and that weapon "not being balanced", "OP". Some weapons are verry powerful yes, but they should be treated as a valuable and scarce ressource that has to be used wisely by the mission designers. If a mission allows for two people to get 20 AA missiles and sit on a hill close to the enemies airbase then of course being a chopper pilot in that other team is going to suck.

That said, a cooler lock-on system (the beebiebeep thing from arrowhead for example) would be cool anyways :)

Blame the scenario.

Arma has never been balanced for those take-whatever-weapon-you-like types of scenarios and there have always been complaints about this and that weapon "not being balanced", "OP". Some weapons are verry powerful yes, but they should be treated as a valuable and scarce ressource that has to be used wisely by the mission designers. If a mission allows for two people to get 20 AA missiles and sit on a hill close to the enemies airbase then of course being a chopper pilot in that other team is going to suck.

That said, a cooler lock-on system (the beebiebeep thing from arrowhead for example) would be cool anyways :)

I totally agree with you.

For the "beebiebeep" thing, please have a look here and consider voting for the ticket:)

they are very fun to use :) me and a friend were on a king of the hill server today, each of us took with us about 9 or 10 aa missiles each. 20 in total, went to a hill not so far away from where enemy helis took off. out of 20 missiles i would say we took out 18 of them with the power of tab lock and overpowered missiles.

I see ArmA3's streamlined and accessible fatigue system is working wonders. Very authentic results when it comes to opportunity to take out the diversity of choppers.

10 missiles, how did you manage?

Can only manage four for the titan launcher. Sure that is with one pre loaded too.

10 missiles, how did you manage?

Can only manage four for the titan launcher. Sure that is with one pre loaded too.

And even four is too much. Remember when in Arma 2, you actually had one missile, and no way you could carry a second on in a backpack ? Where you actually had ammo bearers ?

What strikes me is wondering how anyone managed to fit nine missiles into a backpack when a medikit and a toolkit take up most of its space.

we did something similar, we used a ifrit to carry the ammo to overwatch, then AAA the area. the thing was that they just kept getting more heli's. no one tried to find us, no one tried to kill us, they just kept taking off.

then people whined in chat about it being OP etc.

as to the missile doing to much damage, its probally about right. hinds where getting knocked out of the air in A-stan by stingers, and these are better missiles then stingers by the looks of them.

Helicopters are very fragile, and really only work when they are full intact, a fragmenting warhead will wreck the rotors and anti torque on impact, and a HMG would chew it up in a burst or 2

for real, absolutely every aa missile was a 1 hit kill..not even a single missile even damaged them slightly, only brutal overkill every time. i would expect atleast maybe that they would be able to escape some times with some engine failure or such but no..they drop down like bricks every single time

if you want some fun just do the same :) pick up aa launcher. take 10 missiles with you, go near enemy base and voila you have air domination

That's the most depressing thing I read in the forums in a long time. Most of Arma 3's failures in one scenario which is described as "fun", filled with smileys.

That's the most depressing thing I read in the forums in a long time. Most of Arma 3's failures in one scenario which is described as "fun", filled with smileys.

it reminds me of another public server fail, a entire team running down a road in the air base, towards a serach and destroy objective (of my squad) and we wiped them out with LMG's and AR fire.

apparently they thought we would wait at the marker to die

And even four is too much. Remember when in Arma 2, you actually had one missile, and no way you could carry a second on in a backpack ? Where you actually had ammo bearers ?
I'm with Liquidpinky but in my case I'm just being skeptical about the story, because I have no idea which if any of the Backpacks has room for ten missiles -- whereas nimrod123's team at least had to bring along an Ifrit to act as a vehicular ammo bearer. As for the kill ratio: TAB targeting, but that's not even surprising at this point.

I'm with Liquidpinky but in my case I'm just being skeptical about the story, because I have no idea which if any of the Backpacks has room for ten missiles -- whereas nimrod123's team at least had to bring along an Ifrit to act as a vehicular ammo bearer. As for the kill ratio: TAB targeting, but that's not even surprising at this point.

I agree, I also don't believe the ten missiles, but the fact that you actually start out with three missiles for the Titan is already depressing enough. You should only really be able to carry exactly one of those. I remember my time in the German Army when we lugged around the ammo for the Carl Gustav: They cam in these two-round metal cases, and one of those cases was heavy as hell... and that was an unguided shell, not a Javelin- or Stinger-class missile.

I really think that authenticity goes out of the Window with people carrying more than two of these missiles.

Just for giggles, Wikipedia says that the FGM-148 Javelin missile weights 11 kg, the CLU another 6.4. Yeah, future tech and all, but still, it's ridiculous to think that you can carry more than one or two of those things. And still move, let alone sprint, for crying out loud.

Edited by Varanon
Added Javelin data

Even worse - what about the cargo holds in vehicles? You could probably load up a good amount of those in a truck and haul butt to the nearest hill.

Even worse - what about the cargo holds in vehicles? You could probably load up a good amount of those in a truck and haul butt to the nearest hill.

So you're saying that a properly prepared AA post should not be possible? That loading up on missiles shouldn't be possible because some people are too dumb to take them out before starting up in their helicopters? WTF is wrong with that?

Yeah, future tech and all, but still, it's ridiculous to think that you can carry more than one or two of those things. And still move, let alone sprint, for crying out loud.
Good to see that we both call bullshit on the story, but on "even four missiles": there's "future tech" and then there's "does anyone know what the actual dimensions/statistics in real-world terms for the Titan missiles are supposed to be"? Because I admittedly can't find a 1:1 real-world counterpart to compare against, so this may (like the Mi-48 Kajman) be a case of BI just making stuff up which "frees" them from "having" to be authentic... something else I notice in how many of the weapons' Field Manual descriptions say stuff like "custom variant", "future evolution" (i.e. the Mk 20C being a future F2000 redesign*) or even "Chinese ripoff".

Mr. Charles is totally right re: nimrod123's scenario though, nimrod123 went through the "trouble" of playing in a realistic fashion and was rewarded with success (albeit with the help of his opposition's incompetence in not trying to hunt him down).

* Then again after checking barrel lengths against the 2011 screenshots, I had been thinking that it was a fictional variant anyway.

Good to see that we both call bullshit on the story, but on "even four missiles": there's "future tech" and then there's "does anyone know what the actual dimensions/statistics in real-world terms for the Titan missiles are supposed to be"?

Well, you can basically think of it like this: 2035 is about 20 years from now. Look back 20 years, and what do you see ? You'll notice that the development hasn't been that severe. The Javelin was introduced 1996, the Stinger (which weights 16 kg total) in 1997. If you project those into the future, you'll notice that the difference can't be THAT big.

And even if it would be possible to get a missile down in size to a suitable weight, it is IMHO unbalancing to the game. It makes support soldiers useless (maybe that's why they only came in with the beta), and makes any "finesse" in terms of gameplay superfluous, since there is no need to play like nimrod123 described: You don't need to set up realistically, since it is possible to become a one-man army

Regarding the weight: I don't know how the configs are built exactly, but does it contain some sort of weight value ? Since they are most likely abstract values, it would be possible to get a base comparison by looking at one of the guns (like the EBR which is the same as it's real life counterpart) and extrapolate a weight for the titan missiles ?

I totally agree with you.

For the "beebiebeep" thing, please have a look here and consider voting for the ticket:)

Your link didn't work, here's a ticket i put up a few weeks ago

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=9890

Edit: Your link was missing a colon.

the Stinger (which weights 16 kg total) in 1997. If you project those into the future, you'll notice that the difference can't be THAT big.

Ahem, 1981 for the stinger.

They were using them back during the Soviet-Afghan war :P

On the subject of weight, somewhere a dev explained the capacity/weight was figured out by loading up rucksacks and vests was done IRL to show how much it could carry.

I for one would prefer it be left as it is right now, same with the stamina, if anything stamina could be brought up a little, currently even with a normal load you can become unnecessarily tired while bounding or sprinting from cover to cover...

Edited by Scarecrow398

Ahem, 1981 for the stinger.

Right, deployed in 1981, designed in 1967, i.e. older than me O.o.

On the subject of weight, somewhere a dev explained the capacity/weight was figured out by loading up rucksacks and vests was done IRL to show how much it could carry.

I would honestly like to see anyone carry more than one stinger-type missile in their backpack. Besides, weight isn't everything, there's also volume, and the fact that Javelin is over a meter long should be accounted, too.

Edit: Also, newer MANPADs like the British Starstreak seem to be even bigger and heavier than their predecessors.

Edited by Varanon
newer MANPADs

just a thought guys, this kind of situation was done with man carryable weapon systems, we did use a jeep as a mule but the weapon system is a large personal weapon.

can you begin to imagine the tears when we get AAA vehicles? cries at the 4000rpm zsu 23's, that no one bothered to kill, capable of "OP infantry killing" (this was the BF3 response to 23mm bullets killing people in a burst) along with hitting air targets.

the tears shall be sweet

just a thought guys, this kind of situation was done with man carryable weapon systems, we did use a jeep as a mule but the weapon system is a large personal weapon.

There's a difference, though, between having to use a vehicle to carry the ammunition, or being able to carry it on your back. A vehicle makes noises, is large and visible and basically not suited for a stealth approach... if you have too much firepower on your back, you just sneak in