Sign in to follow this  
mrcash2009

[SP] Operation Ghost Recon [Lingor]

What do you think about patrols in this mission?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about patrols in this mission?

• Just enough
    • Not enough
    • Too much

Awesome stuff mate, currently rolling through ORG campaign for maybe the 50th time with heroes unleashed mod, so this should supplement it well,think may play them side by side!

Thanks for the effort.

Awesome stuff mate, currently rolling through ORG campaign for maybe the 50th time with heroes unleashed mod, so this should supplement it well,think may play them side by side!

Thanks for the effort.

Darn it, you had to mention it. I'm subscribed to this thread via email and after seeing your post about the Heroes Unleashed mod I spent the whole night playing Ghost Recon: Heroes Unleashed. I was going to play Arma 2 Operation Ghost Recon tonight, so thanks a lot. :)

Hi Jeza,

Thanks, I have OGR installed I might have to get me some of that mod, do like to spark up the old beast from time to time, still has that "feeling" even now.

BTW this was posted over in Armaholic:

a well made mission, but my friend you forgot to put the weapons cache where it is suposed to be and your marker for it is in the middle of deep water, so how can the team destroy the tank without explosives???? please correct that fault and place the weapons cache where it should be.

So for those that might think the same, the map marker is linked to ammo objective only, its a generic marker placement for the first objective & briefing for ref of the "area of operations" where objectives need to be completed/searched, its not the actual location of the ammo just a map ref guide of where to look! (in water!? why would i place ammo in water? Well, if this was Arma3 then yes.) :) The rest should speak for itself via briefing and objectives notes.

Edited by mrcash2009

Darn it, you had to mention it. I'm subscribed to this thread via email and after seeing your post about the Heroes Unleashed mod I spent the whole night playing Ghost Recon: Heroes Unleashed. I was going to play Arma 2 Operation Ghost Recon tonight, so thanks a lot. :)

:D My pleasure, play them back to back!

Hi Jeza,

Thanks, I have OGR installed I might have to get me some of that mod, do like to spark up the old beast from time to time, still has that "feeling" even now.

Going to fire up yours now will give feedback soon. Add us on steam as well (sig) can never harm having an extra ORG vet!

Edit:

Fantastic little intro and options at the start there, found there to be enough patrols, for sure enough to keep you on your toes, actually ran right up to one and slotted him which was cool, but also not so much that you cant time you movement to evade ones you dont want to kill. Perfect setting for the mission, big amount of time can be spent doing this, I'd rather actually do that with a human player(s) rather than ai, but still great fun non the less.

Thanks!

Edited by Jeza

Thanks Jeza for the feedback.

I haven't even began to look at scripting for MP (I learned what I was doing with this mission from the seat of my pants every step & still found better ways I could have done it all). It sounds like it might have more legs with MP support, at the moment I want to get the rest finished and other east island areas and then maybe go back over it for MP if I learn what's needed.

I have set it so this enemy are isolated to some degree due to lower tech (thats the storyline) so the idea is deff to try to get in close if you want and try. Ive found it better sometimes players with less team AI too.

Some other things I noticed is that swimming is now ok and wont loose kit but some of the lake areas on Lingor AI will just not have it and wont swim (path find around it), so bear that in mind (island AI issues that I cant do anything about). I think thats to do with the lower shallower lakes more than main sea areas. I did add ways to get across but need to find :)

Thanks again.

Edited by mrcash2009

Please work on more GR SP mission with the same intro as you did on this one.

Perhaps Duala this time with Duala drug kingpins or something?

In other words, different map with different enemies.............

Yu be teh man!

I dont have time to do that :) At the moment I want to focus on shaping this up to be how I planned it fully, then I can move it to OGR *insert map* :) So its all possible but quite a while yet.

Yeah for the moment indeed crack on with this, as for future MP if you do decide to do so, It really is not a massive task so don't worrk to much. Also you may have seen lightspeeds (Gr.net) OGR missions for arma2, may be worth a look as point of ref as well mate. Good luck :)

Im not sure about that mate, you should see me trying to figure out the most rudimentary scripts :)

Hi cash

played through once again this time insertion North East. Daylight ops. Everything went well no bugs or flaws encountered.

Great mission.

Hi NT,

Thanks for the detailed PM feedback. Once I get a good solid amount of time I will sort this mission out as final in the coming weeks.

two things:

- the RHIB does not need to be destroyed, it is even counted as friendly kill if I blow it up after I killed the people in it. That does not make sense if I have to destroy the UAZ and the BTR. Should be consistent.

- after freeing the hostages (exactly in the way you described in the briefing text), I had the problem that I couldn't run anymore. walking was possible and sprinting by doubletapping forward, but no running. Felt like if you have no weapons and then press zoom once, but that wasn't it of course. It stopped working in the moment I released the hostage and had him attached to me, so it must be something in the script.

two things:

. . .

- after freeing the hostages (exactly in the way you described in the briefing text), I had the problem that I couldn't run anymore. walking was possible and sprinting by doubletapping forward, but no running. Felt like if you have no weapons and then press zoom once, but that wasn't it of course. It stopped working in the moment I released the hostage and had him attached to me, so it must be something in the script.

I had the same issue in this mission as soon as you free the 1st hostage and release him . . . I couldn't run anymore after that. I thought at first it was something on my side, but since you mentioned it as well it must be maybe the hostage release script. i dunno. It is not game breaking since you can still move or sprint but it's a bit annoying. I'm really curious . . . what is it that causes this weird bug? I was unable to figure that one out so far.

cheers :)

- the RHIB does not need to be destroyed, it is even counted as friendly kill if I blow it up after I killed the people in it. That does not make sense if I have to destroy the UAZ and the BTR. Should be consistent.

Looks like the boat itself is set to friendly, I can fix that along with some acknowledgement if its destroyed.

It was added so you need to be warey of water patrols if crossing water/near water, as briefing never confirms thats a target you either take them out, or avoid. So it does make sense on the basis that water is secondary to roads and the main objective of destroying the armour etc of the enemy. If you dont take it out then it might be a later threat, if you do, its a done deal its up to you. Just dont want to spoon-feed targets and make it more that its up to you in certain places, and it can be random if mission starts with them or not. I can set it so its an objective but I feel its more a side open ended issue for player to work out, can set it to side objective.

As regards the walking bug, it must be something to do with a certain script elsewhere being used, I tested vanilla (up to latest "official" patch, no beta) & using the map mod / JSRS with just the scripts I have in the mission and I have never had that behaviour. So play it under those circumstances is all I can suggest, I cant bug fix something I just have never experienced to find it :) I did PM with nettrrucker but failing what we already suggesting (key mapping odd things, other scripts) .. I am out of suggestions.

As you can imagine I tested this hundreds of times when making it and captured hostages over and over and over with the release/attach script until I was blue in the face and not once did I get that problem, if you can strip all mods scripts out to the basics of how I tested it and then re apply to see then that might help to spot something, I haven't seen more people feed that problem back either so its hard to tell.

I might come back to this and make it a little more consistent with boats fixes in a few days as I was never fully happy with waypointing for some of them, although all the things I wanted to add isnt on the cards as I really have fell out of love for Arma at the moment and haven't loaded it since august (or when I released the last mission update) I think, maybe some day.

Edited by mrcash2009

Hey just played this thing for 1,5 hours and I really like the GR ambiance as I am a fan of the original Ghost Recon 1 too. But I have to say that it is somewhat tedious - I checked every building in the AO save from the south side of the largest village in the northwest (chose the Northwest area option), but now I am pinned down, and frankly not motivated anymore to reload and finish the mission. I think the patrols could be a tad bit more split - e.g. less "empty spaces" on the island, and less "a ton of enemies" in the settlements - but anyway from a technical and GR memory lane standpoint it is a vey good mission.

But I have to say that it is somewhat tedious - I checked every building in the AO save from the south side of the largest village in the northwest (chose the Northwest area option), but now I am pinned down, and frankly not motivated anymore to reload and finish the mission.

Its definitely a mission for people who want to plan and use stealth to the max over a long period, certainly wasn't trying to be anything else, key is to monitor patrols watch for patterns, map marking where you have searched, tight formations, slow, observe & bino's ... and advance with serious caution with maybe not all men .. also, dont use any AI mods as detection may be just too difficult. If your caught, then yes, its pretty much game over I guess, a bit like life :) As worded in the briefing "Needle in a haystack, yes I think so" ....

I think the patrols could be a tad bit more split - e.g. less "empty spaces" on the island, and less "a ton of enemies" in the settlements

The "empty spaces" have random patrols so its not as empty as you might think, its only concentrated in camps becuase .. well, that's where they live. There arent a tonne of them, unless your using AI mods and they are calling over other groups which I avoided making it.

Thanks for feedback but looks like its not your thing I guess.

I did want to expand this as mentioned before and also use difficulty option for enemy scaling but no time now.

I wont be updating this anymore now, pretty much done with Arma if anyone wants to private edit, then feel free :)

Edited by mrcash2009