Sign in to follow this  
menz414

Helicopter not following Waypoints

I am trying to set up a mission where you board the helicopter, then fly to an insertion point and Parachute in. I can get the helicopter to fly at the right height with the “this flyinHeight 500;†command. But the helicopter will not follow the waypoint to the invisible helipad that is 500 meter in the air.

At this stage the dam thing fly’s where it wants too and will be up to 1.5km off course, is there a way for the helicopter to fly to the direct waypoint without deviations? It has come under fire, but this is due to being in the wrong place, I have left a corridor for its flight path.

Not the answer you are looking for but if you set the waypoint to careless then it won't react to coming under fire.

I have tried dropping the lever to Careless and raising the AI to 100%, but now the I get is flying in circles and we end up miles of course! :confused:

Helicopters and waypoints can be tricky. Speed, terrain, enemy forces, buildings, orientation of the landing pad, the time of time, what the pilot had for breakfast, marriage issues, sleep deprivation, mounting bills, childhood trauma, hangovers... all sorts of things can force AI pilots to get stupid. You need to give them plenty of distances and open space to correct their flight from one waypoint to the other. Play around with speed and height and everything else till you get it close to right. Then realize it'll probably not work when you want it to.

Other options are to try to get MandoHeliRoute to work in A3 or hope UnitCapture/UnitPlay works still.

Keep the waypoints super simple and away from EVERYTHING and don't expect cinematic, exciting close NOE insertions with AI helos.

Helicopters and waypoints can be tricky. Speed, terrain, enemy forces, buildings, orientation of the landing pad, the time of time, what the pilot had for breakfast, marriage issues, sleep deprivation, mounting bills, childhood trauma, hangovers... all sorts of things can force AI pilots to get stupid. You need to give them plenty of distances and open space to correct their flight from one waypoint to the other. Play around with speed and height and everything else till you get it close to right. Then realize it'll probably not work when you want it to.

Other options are to try to get MandoHeliRoute to work in A3 or hope UnitCapture/UnitPlay works still.

Keep the waypoints super simple and away from EVERYTHING and don't expect cinematic, exciting close NOE insertions with AI helos.

Thanks Kylania, I will give this a try!

BIS_fnc_unitPlay is working in Arma 3, the new Beta "Commanding" showcase starts with a recorded heli insertion

I've not tested A3 but in OA they are flying easily to waypoints at 800 meters, a 1000 and they screw up.

I have tried the MandoHeliRoute script, but is keeps coming up with Missing.... in the command script.

Not sure what to try now, as I have tried different heights and skill levels. Plus changed the combat mode from stealth to careless!

I have also tried the Unit Capture (this works), but the Unit Play (does not)!

So I guess it is back to the drawing board!!!

I have also tried the Unit Capture (this works), but the Unit Play (does not)!

So I guess it is back to the drawing board!!!

Both work fine see HERE

Try using Completion Radius.

Aircraft can get goofy because of all the different variables at play. I have been frustrated myself. If you use Completion Radius of X (200-300m) for Helicopters (larger for fixed-wing) then the aircraft just has to get close to register as 'reached'. Otherwise it can miss then try and correct to find that pin-point location which may be out of its current flight envelope.

Height. I also had issues with trying to get the Helicopters to fly right if the altitude is too high. I believe 500 should be ok, but you'll have to experiment.

To get the copper jockey to hover make sure you set the time at the Waypoint. For 20 seconds set: min 20, mid 20, max 20 - set all three fields. Another option which I use to keep it simple is set the Waypoints so the path goes over the jump area then wait & watch until you cross over the area and just click EJECT when ready.

Last option. Do you need the helicopter? My favorite. Could just place your character at X alt (11,111m) and HALO in! :cool: