Sign in to follow this  
Typhoonbot

units screaming voice commands

Okay is it just me? because I couldn't manage to find any other threads relating to this issue.

Now maybe I'm just being overly critical, but it drives me crazy that my character and fellow group member's characters feel the absolute necessity to voice everything they see. Oh look, a car 75m southeast. Rifleman 500 clicks northwest???!! what the fuck? O_0

I really don't care about that, I don't need to know there is a bunny hopping merrily by 16.7m to my 9 o'clock :/

Anyway, now to my question, how the flying fuck can I disable all units in the whole game from ever being able to say another word? short of setting up a torture chamber mission, and removing their voice boxes with a blunt spoon :j:

Regards

Typhoonbot

"I really don't care about that, I don't need to know there is a bunny hopping merrily by 16.7m to my 9 o'clock :/"

You sir have just won the internet.

Maybe a couple of "call modes" with different filters

Radio Silence - No callouts are made except if you're actively fighting and somone is hurt, or an enemy target is within a short perimeter.

Quiet Mode - Only hostile targets within a reasonable distance are called out (We don't need to know about the lone soldier standing on the other side of that canyon.

Recon - Every observation is passed on..

Radio Silence - No callouts are made except if you're actively fighting and somone is hurt, or an enemy target is within a short perimeter.

Quiet Mode - Only hostile targets within a reasonable distance are called out (We don't need to know about the lone soldier standing on the other side of that canyon.

+1

I wonder if it's possible to script this in?

I hate those callouts even when playing SP, so I have always just turned the RADIO volume all of the way down. I usually turn off RADIO SUBTITLES as well.

My bigger gripe is the sheer screaming "COVER RELOADING!!!!!!"

The volume and unbridled emotion just doesn't fit modern day warfare settings and seems more appropriate for storming the beaches of Normandy. I generally keep my guys in Stealth as I better enjoy the protocol and understated tone though it's not always practical for obvious reasons. Sometimes you need your guys in Danger even when stealthfully reconning a village and it's pretty immersion breaking when #2 just blurts out "Go Ill Cover!!" but the enemy soldier 100m out didn't hear a thing -my 83 yo aunt 3 doors down heard him for christs sake!

I honestly don't know if the game takes into consideration whether AI hears the volume of these commands but I tend to doubt it but like I said, immersion breaking if you can scream near an enemy and he cant hear it. The best workaround (and voice protocol imo) is Ghost Recon's with it's cool and collective, "sippin in the mike" style of no-nonsense reporting. I did hear a few new Danger protocol after the Beta which was a little more understated and less histrionic - more of that please!

nice solution +1 to this

Thanks all for your replies and suggestions. The voice mod looks like a good solution. In a perfect world we wouldn't have to force people to install a mod just to play our missions, but for now it seems like the most viable option. I really like zooloo75's idea with the call modes, however I don't think I am at a level of arma mission editing just yet to pull that one off, perhaps one of you could take a crack at it, I'm sure people would appreciate that. I know I would.

Regards

In a perfect world we wouldn't have to force people to install a mod just to play our missions...

That's a little hyperbolic. No game will ever be all things to all people. This is why mods do and must exist.

It wasn't so bad in the early alpha stages, iirc. Now, however, post-firefight, my squad mates start screaming like bloody madmen. It's like going to war with a dozen Sam Kinisons.

Sometimes you need your guys in Danger even when stealthfully reconning a village and it's pretty immersion breaking when #2 just blurts out "Go Ill Cover!!" but the enemy soldier 100m out didn't hear a thing -my 83 yo aunt 3 doors down heard him for christs sake!

Classic, and so true!

MOVING MOVING MOVING I'LL COVER I'LL COVER!

I'm going to end up killing them all, taking their grenades and going solo one day.

I like it but they speak too much. And it should be a 3D audio, not in the radio network so it is somewhat more immersive and less "ear killer".

^ Exactly. It kinda feels unrealistic when your'e in formation with your squad that is using radio even if your'e meter away from each other. Radios are mostly used in convoys and in combat in certain situations. If positioning audio would be fixed in A3 and voiceovers wouldn't be too silent - direct speech could have use.

I like it but they speak too much. And it should be a 3D audio, not in the radio network

Yes, this is still WIP. We call this feature 'broadcast exclusion'.

However, it still awaits changes from one of our programmers (who, unfortunately, recently broke his collarbone). :(

More detailed analysis is here.

Best,

RiE

Edited by RoyaltyinExile

Tell your porgrammer to get well soon. We can't have you running around hurting yourself, when we need you to develop our highly advanced time wasting program :rolleyes:

Tell your porgrammer to get well soon. We can't have you running around hurting yourself, when we need you to develop our highly advanced time wasting program :rolleyes:

They were probably running through bushes, flying helicopters upside down or had someone put a really heavy weapon on his collarbone as research before implementing bush movement slowdown, even more realistic heli physics and weapon resting :p

However, it still awaits changes from one of our programmers (who, unfortunately, recently broke his collarbone). :(

More detailed analysis is here.

Best,

RiE

Good to know, you even mentioned small tweaks on their "shout frequency" on the Alpha-Beta transition which made things a little better.

Anyway, without doubt, the current radio thing is way better than anything before it and still retain useful information. Kudos to that.

It's realistic. You wanna tell your buddies where the bad guys are, and what you're up to. Your squad leader should be aware if you're reloading for example, if he gives a supressing fire order so he knows not everyone will be firing. Ever played a communication intensive game like Dota or LoL? It's like that.

They were probably running through bushes, flying helicopters upside down or had someone put a really heavy weapon on his collarbone as research before implementing bush movement slowdown, even more realistic heli physics and weapon resting :p

Maybe ragdoll tweaking? :)

Anyway - it's good that BIS do look in that direction, can't wait to see effects.

Our programmer is back in action and we're looking at this feature at the moment. We identified some (pretty old) bugs along the way, namely that any protocol in 3d space wasn't spoken at all, or only little bits of it were shouted out.

We're looking now to see what can be fixed, which is somehow related to the broadcast exclusion and only hearing combat shouts in 3d (i.e. not over radio). I hope it'll help make the soundscape a bit richer, being able to hear the enemies and other squads communicating with each other.

Best,

RiE

Good. Knowing this community I'll ask: There will be an option to disable it? Or to enable it only for AI?

I like it, find it very immersive on RO2 (BC2 also had an auto chatter that wasn't that good) but people complain that it gives away their position and whatnot, but in ArmA (read: LARGE environments) it shouldn't be a big issue. Adding a little more of live on the AIs is always good.

We identified some (pretty old) bugs along the way, namely that any protocol in 3d space wasn't spoken at all, or only little bits of it were shouted out.

You mean like when you'd be near an AI squad leader in a different group and you'd hear him say just "Move" or "Man"? If that was fixed and you heard them say the full sentence, that would indeed be a great boost to immersion.