Sign in to follow this  
froggyluv

Doors

I know that by the year 2035, door framing will have been perfected as predicted by the Mayans -but these doors don't make a peep. Was wondering if sounds are planned to be added and if so, hopefully AI will react to them. Also, doors should all push inward for as it is now -they are ill willed metal beasts that push you outta there way! Ideally, incremental door opening would be best.

Doors shouldn't push people over...

Only very angry doors.

Edited by Sneakson

I do think that doors by default should have an opening and closing sound.

I hope arma3 will start using doors from Sirius Cybernetics Corporation. They have very pleasant sounds opening and closing. :man3:

They probably have seals to keep heat out in the Aegean sun, which also serve as to muffle the sound. Also, Greek civilians use lots of WD40, I guess.

Voting for a better implementation of very angry doors and less lube.

Also a simple hand animation woundn't hurt.

That works on sooo many levels ;)

Some of the doors in my opinion, especially on center-fed rooms, need to open all the way instead of opening to an angle then stopping. Wouldn't be bad if they were free-objects and you could run into them to push them... but then again I could imagine a door killing me with that.

Some of the doors in my opinion, especially on center-fed rooms, need to open all the way instead of opening to an angle then stopping. Wouldn't be bad if they were free-objects and you could run into them to push them... but then again I could imagine a door killing me with that.

Just this would be such a massive improvement, it is frustrating to move around indoors when the doors only open to 90 degrees creating a miniwall jutting out into your way.

My only suggestion is I would really love incremental opening of doors, possibly controlled by the mouse scroll wheel, this worked great in the old Rainbow Six games.

Also, doors should all push inward for as it is now

For public used spaces, doors should always open outwards for fire security reasons.

i like the idea of incremental opening. seems it could be easy if you have maybe 3 or so phases of openness. click and hold to open fully, or click and release to toggle through the states of closed, cracked, half, and full... or something like that.

I'd settle for them working for all units, you can only lock the player out of them AI can be ordered through a looked door.

i like the idea of incremental opening. seems it could be easy if you have maybe 3 or so phases of openness. click and hold to open fully, or click and release to toggle through the states of closed, cracked, half, and full... or something like that.

I think this is something you only see in RVS type games. I don't think it would do that well in ARMA.... just shoot through the door. ;)

You want more hand but less lube? I guess you like to live dangerously.

I've been to Greece and one thing I noticed is that doors on rooms and private houses open inwards just like they do everywhere else in Europe. The common design evolved that way because of snow, if there is lots of snow you can't open the door outwards into it, it gets stuck and you learn the real meaning of "snowed in". Can we have destructible doors too one day, I would like to blast them off the hinges occasionally?:

http://www.demotix.com/news/1041768/heavy-snow-greece-north-chalkidiki

Edited by Mattar_Tharkari

Guys doors are "always" opened inwards except if you live in a "villa",where you can do however you like because you have a big ammount of space in front of your house.

That's just logical, doors are opened inwards because of the low ammount of space that you have. Just imagine opening a door outwards in the middle of the street where people walk, how many people would stamp their face in the doors?

Or opening your flat door outward how much space would take on the level..

I was wondering if is possible to connect the doors to the physic...

However an opening/closing sound would be really welcome

Edited by Babylonjoke

I just imagined opening my door outward, in the middle of the street where somebody got smacked in the face because they walked too close to my house. Then i wondered wtf are people walking in the middle of the street and more so wtf is my house built there??

Smartass aside, doors open inward. Why are people bitching about this? Only exception is as stated - public areas in which that is for safety and they, more often then not, have a big red/white/yellow "don't walk here stupid" half circle painted on the ground where the door occupies when swinging.

As far as more door control that'd be great. I'd say let us choose between a default of kicking in a door (loud) opening the door (quiet). Opening would simply turn the handle and open past the latch. Then maybe mouse wheel (to open slow) or swing freely to move open as you push thru it.

Let the door getting kicked in or swinging hard open/close create sounds that notify enemies. Having every door squeak would screw up stealthy missions. Unless they could just make it random & more/less likely based in how quickly the door swings.

For public used spaces, doors should always open outwards for fire security reasons.

Not sure if serious...:rolleyes:

For gameplay reasons unless they implement incremental control, a door that uncontrollably pushes us away is no-no, especially if using TPW's Fall script :p. Incremental would be great especially if noise was attached to it...slow open close means little to no sound while quick action makes a noise.

Also another pretty major issue is the two doors being side by side and player is clearly facing one with his mouse target yet the other one opens.....CursorTarget anyone...?

I was just thinking about this the other day. I found ArmA just a month ago or so and WOW! This might be the greatest game/sim ever created. Never thought I'd see the day...

Anyway, being new I haven't found too many issues yet that kinda irked me. (Plus don't want to be too harsh as the game is in Beta, obviously.) After suffering through the early stages of this new addiction, I decided to finally jump in on this thread:

I agree. Would LOVE to see the Doors addressed at some point (or mod). There are a few 'mini-game' elements that could be tackled for a huge impact. Medic-type stuff, disarming explosives, etc., and the CQC side of ArmA.

Doors could just clip through you when opening, or open inward as suggested. I love the idea of a scroll-wheel option to control an incremental opening to peek inside. This is a great idea! Using your wheel to slowly open would cause the enemy to notice if opened too far, OR, too fast. Using default would open as usual (when fixed) if you didn't want to spend the time or just need to enter guns-a-blazin'.

Another level: Door types with breachable options. Normal, reinforced, and steal doors. All with LOCK options! Whatcha think? IF Locked, normal can be kicked-in? Reinforced needs to be introduced to Mr. Shotgun? And Steel may need some explosive to breach. Different locks could be used also. Key needed. Keypad with combination. etc. This would add another large immersion layer to the mix. The game is already super-awesome, but the CQC area still needs a good dose of polish. Its a glaring contrast to the genius you find everywhere else.

Think of the complexity and game-play if the Doors were improved. Hostage Rescue, Intel Op, etc., and you have to deal with clearing and/or sneaking through a office building or command center. Super cool...

"Its 0300hrs and you HALO in under the cover of darkness. The sky is black. The sea is black. You can smell the saltwater as you race toward it. You splash down and then SCUBA toward the target. After finding the drain you make your way through the system and then up into the basement. The stank odor reminds you of that op last year that went pair-shaped. Not this time you think. As you work your way through the complex, activity is very light. Most doors are unlocked. Using blueprints from a CIA contact you find the target room. Valuable Intel is just a few feet away. This mission is a breeze. Another medal for sure... You enter the passkey: *buzz; red light*. Crap! Locked!! Son-of-a%$#@! The passkey is wrong or its been changed! What do you do? Scrub the mission, or blow the door and wake every grumpy AK wielding knucklehead in this backwater stink shop? Hmm..."

Yes, DOORS! Better doors.

It would be worth noting, the green “portable†military type buildings the doors should open outward, this would be so they are self-plugging from external blast and blow-out with internal blast, this also would permit access in their retracted/disassembled/packed state.

Likewise you could argue at least one door on the bigger “office†type building must be a fire door which must open outwards NOT inwards.

I love the idea of a scroll-wheel option to control an incremental opening to peek inside. This is a great idea! Using your wheel to slowly open would cause the enemy to notice if opened too far, OR, too fast. Using default would open as usual (when fixed) if you didn't want to spend the time or just need to enter guns-a-blazin'.

Why? It's so silly. Only niche first person shooter games have this 'feature'. Plus in terms of controls how would it be implemented? Scroll wheel is used for opening the action menu currently.