Sign in to follow this  
chrispottsov1987

How to disable the "Take control option" in helis.

Posting this in here as it is a question, rather than a mod etc. (Mods please move to more relevant section if applicable).

Basically the Take control is causing a few problems on the server. We like the pilots only option to flying that is being included in a lot of the maps we play. However non pilots can still get in the co-pilot/gunners seat and simply take control of the heli, often resulting in a lot of idiots crashing, or simply taking the heli's for a joy ride, while the rest of us are trying to play the game.

I had thought of simply adding a Co-pilot/gunner check using the same script but with gunner instead of driver. However decided this would not work as it would prevent non pilots operating the gunners seat on the attack heli's. So only option I see is to try and disable the take control option.

Now although having our admins kick anyone who is not a pilot attempting to fly is a short term solution, I for on am getting sick of having to spend most of my time taking care of the idiots, and not being able to play the game. So putting up a script to do this for us will be very useful as it would cut back on the amount of work our admins have to do.

However I have very little experience with the scripting side of things so please feel free to dumb it down as much as you can.

Also, although it would be helpful for you to simply write the script and tell me where to stick it (no pun intended), a little description on how this does its job may also be of help for future scripts, I may wish to look at.

Thanks in advance for the assist.

As with every "only pilots can fly" type post, the only answer is to lock your server or learn to share vehicles and teach new players and you'll have better players and more fun in the long run.

But I thought the pilot had to first release the controls in order for the gunner/co-pilot to be able to take them? Tell your pilots to stop releasing the controls I guess? :)

I tried to search out some other only pilots scripts, but could not find any, otherwise would not have made a duplicate thread.

AS to the take control, since the beta release anyone can take control of the heli. It no longer needs to be released by the pilot. I just tested it in editor, and I can take control so its not a server/mission script.. Maybe a slight oversight on BI's part, or maybe they realised the pilot could be hit and not have time to release the controls so changed it.

As for locking the server, that would not solve our problems, we run public servers and have had thousands of players join. Most we have no problems with, it's just the few idiots we are sick of dealing with. If a script can prevent the problem then why not use it.

I didn't know this was even a new feature :)

Sounds like the feature should be refined to pilot deliberately handing over control, or co-pilot taking control in the event of the pilot's death.

*edit* having read post #3, it seems like a temporary glitch.

I didn't know this was even a new feature :)

Sounds like the feature should be refined to pilot deliberately handing over control, or co-pilot taking control in the event of the pilot's death.

*edit* having read post #3, it seems like a temporary glitch.

Yes definately, Pilot must alsways be able to overide Co-Pilot/WSO.

Well there is alot of good pilots not getting the pilot postion.My friend is a good pilot and has had to result to this. I know it is a first come first serve kinda thing. But what if those guys that are pilots are just those joy ride pilots that do no help?

^ then you need good admins to keep them in line.. there isn't really another way

^ then you need good admins to keep them in line.. there isn't really another way

That is very true. There is no substitute for a team of dedicated admins.

Well there is alot of good pilots not getting the pilot postion.My friend is a good pilot and has had to result to this. I know it is a first come first serve kinda thing. But what if those guys that are pilots are just those joy ride pilots that do no help?

As for this particular problem, any one in a pilots slot, must fly, and have comms, on our server. If they do not we ask them to choose another slot, swap with someone who can fly, or kick them from the server. This is the only way to deal with that problem.

This script, and the many like it, do not replace the need for admins. It is simply to reduce the amount of work they have to do. Keeping an eye on say 4 pilots to ensure they are doing their job, is a lot easier than keeping an eye on 40 players, to see who is flying when they are not meant to be.