Sign in to follow this  
Wolfstriked

Realistic navigation difficulty setting??

I have a small triangle on my civillian mobile phone which not only shows where I am and syncs up locations that I mark to other devices, but also the fastest route to those markers. Also the triangle is possibly more accurate than the red circle in Arma... Now contemplate the fact that you can get smart glasses outside of actual kit selection -instead on your player profile screen- and you have this tech for free on all players automatically. I know some people might not want it, but if anything it's anti-realism to implement this, which is the kind of thing that these forums tend to go mental about.

It should definitely be an option to turn it off still. Playing with maps and navigating with your wits is pretty damned cool at times. Perhaps there should be separate items between electronic and paper maps for syncing marks and updating playing positions?

I have a small triangle on my civillian mobile phone which not only shows where I am and syncs up locations that I mark to other devices, but also the fastest route to those markers. Also the triangle is possibly more accurate than the red circle in Arma... Now contemplate the fact that you can get smart glasses outside of actual kit selection -instead on your player profile screen- and you have this tech for free on all players automatically. I know some people might not want it, but if anything it's anti-realism to implement this, which is the kind of thing that these forums tend to go mental about.

It should definitely be an option to turn it off still. Playing with maps and navigating with your wits is pretty damned cool at times. Perhaps there should be separate items between electronic and paper maps for syncing marks and updating playing positions?

Yes that is true. However what is not realistic is having a paper map that displays all of that. I'm all for BIS developing items that simulate having technology but they should also not have those magical benefits on items that cannot convey those benefits. Vehicles should not have a map marker unless it makes sense for them to have it (i.e. GPS device). Just as how players should not have an extended HUD unless they are wearing those special goggles. I would be in favor of having paper maps that do not have the ability to magically zoom in for more detail as well if not for the fact that BIS is already swamped with things to do.

This must be an option. Just because BIS developers want to play in 2035 and we have smartphones today doesnt mean we all want to play in that era or with modern tech. What will I44 and unsung do when they start working on A3?

Worst case I just disable the A3 map completely and print out paper versions I can keep on my desk. The problem then is to show my markers to the group I play with. Or to have a proper briefing..

On a, maybe, related note. I have the impression that BIS made the missions to be played with all UI bells and whistles. I disable all that by habit, and in one mission I couldn't find a marker or note of where I start and I didnt have a GPS for some reason. I guess it was expected that I would see it due to magic mapmarkers... :(

Well I haven't read everyone's post so I'm not sure if this has already been said but I think this is already possible... I played a public Team Death Match server the other day on Altis that didn't have any icons or anything. It was just a map...I couldn't even tell what base I was at because the terrain was heavily altered with Hesco barriers. It was fun but yes admittedly very difficult. Especially since my headphones went out and I have to use the cheap mono sony speakers that people used to use on their walkmans. Hahaha I'll try to find the name of that server and edit it into this post.