Sign in to follow this  
atroublestarter

Mouse acceleration getting WORSE?!

There are threads about this that are even 266 days old (at time of posting this):

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?141150-Developers-keys-and-mouse-bindings-are-too-poor-and-mouse-acceleration-sucks

I've said it in my bugs thread, plenty of other people have complained about it on these forums and still we haven't had any sort of response.

There is no mention of tinkering with mouse acceleration in the patch notes, but patch 1.06 is unplayable for me. For the first minute or so, it's comparable to the previous patches (which was difficult to play with in the first place), but after that time, it started taking 250-500ms for my mouse movements to show on screen!

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?140734-Mouse-Acceleration <--- 273 day old thread on mouse acceleration and still the problem persists in carrier command and apparently most other BI games also!

Not noticed it in the game. I've always had it on the main menu and on the map, but not in the game istself.

Am I the only person who is getting increased mouse lag in the latest patch?

I've never had this issue in this game (or ARMA). But hope they look into it for those being affected.

Not noticed it in the game. I've always had it on the main menu and on the map, but not in the game istself.

Oh Species I thought you was experiencing it the same way as me, making it difficult to control Manta etc.

My mouse has a high latency in all parts of the game!

Did you change the title to acceleration? I thought you said mouse lag.

Acceleration was annoying for me in the FPS parts mainly, but I'm not getting mouse lag, except the main menu and map . What is your framerate like? I do get slow performance sometimes, mainly on Fulcrum for some reason.

Did you change the title to acceleration? I thought you said mouse lag.

Acceleration was annoying for me in the FPS parts mainly, but I'm not getting mouse lag, except the main menu and map . What is your framerate like? I do get slow performance sometimes, mainly on Fulcrum for some reason.

Are the 2 not associated?

My problem has always been that when i move the mouse, it takes a longer time to happen on screen compared to any other game i own (all other games the mouse works normally, regardless of frame rates)

Putting the graphics to lowest improves the mouse responsiveness, but in the latest patch, after 2 minutes, it gets worse where it can take almost half a second for my mouse movements to register on screen. This has made it unplayable for me.

Yet in any other game, even if i had a framerate of 1, the mouse would still move like normal.

That's mouse lag, not acceleration. When it does move on screen, is it moving by the correct distance? If it's taking too long to respond, then I can only think it must be to do with performance of your computer or mouse. Is it a wired or wireless mouse, and does it have driver software? Maybe there's a setting in the mouse software for report rate, my Logitech Setpoint software has this.

While the game is running, try pressing ctrl-alt-del and right clicking on carrier.exe in the processes tab, then set priority to low, just in case your mouse software isn't getting enough task priority.

That's mouse lag, not acceleration. When it does move on screen, is it moving by the correct distance? If it's taking too long to respond, then I can only think it must be to do with performance of your computer or mouse. Is it a wired or wireless mouse, and does it have driver software? Maybe there's a setting in the mouse software for report rate, my Logitech Setpoint software has this.

While the game is running, try pressing ctrl-alt-del and right clicking on carrier.exe in the processes tab, then set priority to low, just in case your mouse software isn't getting enough task priority.

It's a wired mouse, i just recently purchased it, but it was doing it with my old mouse too. It's not got it's own software however, the drivers are just windows based (and therefore no report rate settings). Interestingly, however, clicks happen instantly. It's just mouse movement that is affected.

To be honest with you, i thought mouse acceleration was a term for the software involved in working the mouse. Such as hardware acceleration basically meaning that the hardware is involved in handling a certain task, rather than software acceleration where the CPU will deal with the job. (Basically i thought mouse sensitivity is to do with how much it moves, and mouse acceleration being from in game or in windows or another driver software which is what runs the hardware).

I will attempt your ctrl-alt-del work around, but since mouse acceleration is forced to being handled in game, and therefore the game is running the hardware, i fear that putting it on low priority will worsen the symptoms!

I will test this next time i play and report back.

Just tried playing the game again and I confirm this patch has definitely made the mouse worse to the point of being unbearable to play the game with.

I've tried adjusting the priority of the carrier command .exe file, but it said access was denied when i tried it. I've also checked the system requirements and my system meets them, although I do feel that this shouldn't be an issue, since with all other games I own, the mouse will still function just fine no matter what FPS the game is running at.

Have sent a message to BI support, though with the lack of responses about the mouse issues in their games, and the questionable intelligence of releasing a patch that they know to be faulty from the beta (1.05), I must say my hopefulness about them actually giving me some acceptable support is low.

Don't know why you got access denied, maybe you have to be running as administrator.

Don't know why you got access denied, maybe you have to be running as administrator.

Perhaps, I will try that again next time. I am running the game as administrator though.

please check if you are not running any other applications on

background. Then please reinstall the game and update to the latest

version from here:

that's the response I got. Easily predictable really.

I dont know what you are talking about, the mouse seems fine. You can try this to see if its windows:

Open control panel > mouse > pointer settings

Uncheck "enhance pointer precision"

Make sure the slider is in the middle.

Or if you have anything like setpoint (logitech application) make sure you have set it to default settings.

Click ok and try the game.

The game is using its own acceleration above and beyond windows or setpoint's acceleration, only in the actual game, not the menus. If you are moving the mouse slowly, it's fine, but trying to move the mouse the same distance quickly was just unbearable to me in the campaign, the acceleration is so bad, and was the main reason I only completed the campaign once. It was mainly a problem in the FPS sections, not so much when controlling units, but it is noticeable when trying to aim a manta laser, and took me some getting used to.

After some time discussing the issue with support, they are now investigating the problem, the strange thing is, they thought they already solved it! according to the guy I was discussing it with.

He suggested trying to run the game in windowed mode, whilst doing that I noticed that if i moved the mouse to the bottom of the screen around the windows task bar, i could see both the windows cursor and the game's cursor. When moving horizontally left and right, I noticed that the windows mouse responded instantly and accurately, but you could also clearly see the game cursor 'lagging' behind it. Like i said before though, clicks are handled instantly, it's just the mouse movement that lags behind. I have noticed the problem still occurs when the game is hitting anywhere between 50-100 fps (according to fraps), however the problem is MUCH worse in the latest patch, where there appears to be spikes in latency in the game for some odd reason, reducing my fps as low as 20 (and this is why the problem is far more noticeable in the latest patches).

As Species pointed out the problem is nothing to do with windows, but is something to do with how the game is handling my mouse controls.

I still think we are talking about two different issues, yours is that the pointer position isn't being updated frequently enough, as opposed to the acceleration applied to the pointer's movement?

I still think we are talking about two different issues, yours is that the pointer position isn't being updated frequently enough, as opposed to the acceleration applied to the pointer's movement?

I am not sure if we're experiencing different issues or i'm experiencing both lol. However, I can confirm that no matter how quickly or slowly i move the mouse in windows, when i was doing the test i described above the game cursor moved by the same amount as my windows mouse, it was just a fraction of a second behind which sounds like nothing, but it's actually really crippling to accuracy, even with menus when I get close to the button I want to press, i have to manoeuvre to the button slowly in order to hit it.

I don't think i'm suffering from the innacuracy that you're describing though, where the quicker i move the mouse the farther the mouse will move, although it may just be that i'm used to it, as i have mouse pointer precision enabled in windows which I think is a type of mouse movement acceleration?

I get that lag too, but only on the menus and occasionally on the map.

No matter how low I put the mouse sensitivity on the Options menu the thing moves way too fast. Even the slightest movement sends the pointer across the screen.

I've never been able to complete a mission.

I have two problems with the mouse in CCgm.

1 - The zoom in/out on islands is to great you are either focused on one tiny spot or zoomed right out. There seem to be no fine adjustment.

2 - You really need to be able to zoom out more while in carrier view.

Dear devs

I can disable mouse acceleration for you, if you give me the formula currently used to accelerate the mouse.

I'll use a GlovePIE script that performs the inverse of your acceleration on the mouse input before passing it to the game, which will then be accelerated by the game, having a net-effect of no acceleration.

Kind regards, thanks