Sniperwolf572

Switching weapons on the move

Lots of people will and is complaining but the reason is always caring about game that is close to their hearts.

Just reporting a little bug when I switch from my primary weapon to my handgun while moving the animation will work, but instead of equiping the pistol, my rifle will still be in my hands. Also when i switch weapons the player goes from having their weapon up, to lowering the weapon. I think this may or may not just be a problem in multiplayer because i tried this out in the editor and it worked fine.

---------- Post added at 13:54 ---------- Previous post was at 13:46 ----------

Also, it's kind of an off and on thing. Sometimes it glitches out, and sometimes it works fine.

It's in the known issues, such things sometimes happen when you're swapping stances mid swap even in SP. The lowering I've also noticed but it seems really occasional and I've yet to reliably reproduce it.

Too bad, there are no keys..

There won't be. I don't plan to declare it anything but a proof of concept until it can work flawlessly and be properly integrated in the game. For example, I've tried it today in MP and the non-transmission of events make the players appear to be teleporting on remote machines. I've no time right now to look into it, but as I've said, source is on GitHub (link in the first post), so if anyone wants to improve upon it and release their own version, they're free to do so.

Really nice job with this Sniperwolf.

While this mod plugs quite a huge gap in movement fundamentals, its hacky nature becomes apparent when you really try to embed it into your core gameplay.

Nevertheless, a nice surprise. I hope BIS takes notice of this and sees the fruits in implementing it properly (e.g people will be much more likely to use their sidearm instead of their primary weapon, if they have one - and combat in general feels a lot more dynamic).

Not to praise this too much however, as it has already been a standard for FPS games for some time to be able to switch weapons while on the move. Implementing this would just be Arma catching up.

Thanks! :)

The nature of the "standard" FPS from the first FPS and onward never limited the switching and movement due to the action nature of the genre, besides, instant switches that appear in "standard" FPS's aren't really what Arma 3 needs.

The current behavior in vanilla Arma 3 is purely a relic that remained with us due to the limited animation system which was improved upon in A2 and I'm not sure to what extent in A3 aswell, but this isn't something that was addressed. As for BI's willingness to properly implement this in the vanilla game, that's something we'll have to wait and see.

This is so amazing. Is there an ArmA II variant of this?

This is so amazing. Is there an ArmA II variant of this?

Glad you like it. :)

As for Arma 2 version of this, there isn't one that I'm aware of.

It might be possible to do, but it depends if Arma 2 supports the same style of animation masking. If so, porting this implementation to Arma 2 would require rewriting the gesture config to use Arma 2 animation files and implementing workarounds for the commands that do not exist (stance, handgunWeapon) in Arma 2.

New version, 1.4.2, is available from the first post. Mostly behind the scenes code changes and maintenance.

Many thanks to Deadfast, who has cleaned up some of my shoddy config work and updated the code to use CfgFunctions which removed the dependency on CBA_A3, so you don't need that anymore from this version.

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

===================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Edited by Guest

Hey wolf I'm not sure if you even realize that you've done this, but this mod ALSO corrects the problem of starting to reload your rifle and going "oh shit i need to switch to my pistol instead" and hitting your pistol swap button, but the rifle reload animation finishing anyways. It now interrupts the rifle reload and switches straight to your pistol. Amazing even if accidental!

Hey wolf I'm not sure if you even realize that you've done this, but this mod ALSO corrects the problem of starting to reload your rifle and going "oh shit i need to switch to my pistol instead" and hitting your pistol swap button, but the rifle reload animation finishing anyways. It now interrupts the rifle reload and switches straight to your pistol. Amazing even if accidental!

Glad to see you're enjoying it. :D

I spotted it during testing when I was concerned that the reload would continue after starting the weapon switch gesture, fortunately it didn't (except for the sound I believe). It is a side effect of interrupting the reload gesture by forcing the weapon swap gesture, not something that was made intentionally. It would take more effort to prevent the switch until reload is done. :p

I really wish i could get this working. Please contact me to help.

I just tried it out on the dev branch and it still works. Have you followed all the instructions in the original post?

Just wanted to share that binding the User Action 17/18 to Mouse Wheel UP/Down instead works perfect, and to get rid of the menu scrolling side effect one just needs to press CTRL (keeping it pretty intuitive).

EDIT: While moving forward (the whole point of course) one does need to release CTRL asap to prevent the stance adjustment if one keeps the default bind for those.

Edited by gammadust

Some times it didn't work in Insurgency mission

If i host the server with game play D:

I find it worth mentioning that this mod in combination with Sakura_Chan's Keys mod works just perfect. No more actionmenu-weapon-switching-button and you can keep moving while switching. Strongly advice anyone who uses KEYS mod to try out this one along with it.

Not sure if Sniperwolf572 is still working on this mod, but I really hope that he can find some time to make it 100% MP compatible.

I find it worth mentioning that this mod in combination with Sakura_Chan's Keys mod works just perfect. No more actionmenu-weapon-switching-button and you can keep moving while switching. Strongly advice anyone who uses KEYS mod to try out this one along with it.

Not sure if Sniperwolf572 is still working on this mod, but I really hope that he can find some time to make it 100% MP compatible.

I'm glad there's someone still using this and finding it useful. ;)

I was really expecting BI to do something about this as Smookies posts gave me an impression that they are indeed looking into it, so I held off on making any progress on it, but 6 months later, there has been no word on it and the community isn't exactly vocal about the issue anymore (apart from a few comments on the FT every now and then and hateful YouTube comments). :whistle:

I've been wanting take a look at MP compatibility recently, but it will probably wait until sometime after the new year. The addon "works" in MP, but the main problem from what I can tell is that the animations during the switch are not syncing properly to the other players, so if you are moving and switching, you'll start warping about until the switch is done on the remote machines, which is a no-no for PvP and such. I suspect the reasons are the locality issues of the few commands used.

Would you be so kind as to post here how you setup your personal keybindings for Keys mod together with this good sir?

I'm glad there's someone still using this and finding it useful. ;)

I've been wanting take a look at MP compatibility recently, but it will probably wait until sometime after the new year. The addon "works" in MP, but the main problem from what I can tell is that the animations during the switch are not syncing properly to the other players, so if you are moving and switching, you'll start warping about until the switch is done on the remote machines, which is a no-no for PvP and such. I suspect the reasons are the locality issues of the few commands used.

glad you are still willing to work on it. If you can sort that problem out, the mod will be perfect!

Would you be so kind as to post here how you setup your personal keybindings for Keys mod together with this good sir?

I played a long time with just KEYS so I got used to having SHIFT+1 for gun/handgun and SHIFT+2 for gun/launcher.

Because of this mod I un-binded the 2 keys above and assigned them to userkey 17 & 18. since a few days I also bound userkey 17 to 1 of the buttons on the side of my mouse. :)

Between Keys and this it is a total game changer. I feel like I can move around the field without much issue. ItThomas, good call on mapping the gun switch to the side mouse button.

I believe I have solved the MP issues I talked about earlier with this addon. Most of it seems to be caused by the timing issues between the order of things happening on the client and the local effects of switchMove.

I've tested it with 2 clients on LAN and it works ok there, but that's as far as my testing resources will take me. Due to the fact that I'm doing something potentially dumb in the MP environment which could cause issues when there are more than two clients and higher pings involved, I'd be grateful it if some of you could take it for a spin over the internet with more players and report back on how it behaves.

You can find the experimental 1.4.3 version here. Please don't mirror it elsewhere for the time being.

hey, Sniperwolf572, I was wondering. Do you think it's possible to remove the animation of putting the rifle on the back when switching to another weapon? Like with a sling, you just release your weapon and it hangs in front of you, to save precious time. Have you ever considered adding something like that to your mod? It seems like the next logical step in you mod's evolution.

it's not a request by any means, don't get me wrong. I'm just wondering why no one did it yet. maybe there are things that make it impossible, and you should be the one to know since you fiddle with weapon switching animations and whatnot.

anyway, you already have a great concept for an addon as it is, cheers.

hey, Sniperwolf572, I was wondering. Do you think it's possible to remove the animation of putting the rifle on the back when switching to another weapon? Like with a sling, you just release your weapon and it hangs in front of you, to save precious time. Have you ever considered adding something like that to your mod? It seems like the next logical step in you mod's evolution.

it's not a request by any means, don't get me wrong. I'm just wondering why no one did it yet. maybe there are things that make it impossible, and you should be the one to know since you fiddle with weapon switching animations and whatnot.

anyway, you already have a great concept for an addon as it is, cheers.

It's most certainly possible, I'd love to see it and it would most certainly look way more natural than the current "weapon on back yoga". :D

But, right now, it's not practical and that's probably why nobody is doing it.

To make that happen, one would have to alter most BI animations that have the weapon on the back so it's slung across the chest. Moving weapon proxies in the animations wouldn't be a big deal, but unfortunately, I don't think we have access to source files of BI animations, so you'd basically have to remake the whole animations in their entirety that match the quality of the animations we already have. Additionally, with or without the source animations, certain ones would have to be remade entirely anyway so they fit with the new weapon position.

Now, even if I decided to remake a lot of animations animations, I'm no animator and the resulting animations would be horrible compared to BI mo-capped animations. Even this mod wouldn't have happened if I hadn't found a way to reuse the BI .rtm's that are already used for the static weapon switches.

Maybe the solution here is to bribe Smookie somehow. :p

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned. you can prevent weapon from firing using setWeaponReloadingTime command every frame required.

Forwarded to Smookie. ;)

thanks for your answers :)

I wonder if it's possible to just skip certain animations instead of making them from scratch and attaching the rifle to the soldier's chest, like they did it in Arma 2 for binoculars

Edited by sorophx