Sniperwolf572

Switching weapons on the move

I don't know if this has been addressed, but if you change weapons during a reload then it breaks your weapon. when you switch back to the empty half reloaded weapon, it is still empty and when you press your reload button a magazine gets deleted but it doesn't get placed in the weapon.

I don't know if this has been addressed, but if you change weapons during a reload then it breaks your weapon. when you switch back to the empty half reloaded weapon, it is still empty and when you press your reload button a magazine gets deleted but it doesn't get placed in the weapon.

Thanks for the report, I believe this is actually a new game bug. Playing any gesture during the reload breaks the reload completely and permanently for all weapons. You can replicate it by simply reloading and midway through the reload, executing:

player playActionNow "GestureAdvance";

That unit will now be broken and can't ever reload again.

Fairly sure this did not occur before as I tested this specific situation multiple times and people reported being delighted to be able to abort reloads with a weapon switch.

I've made a ticket about it on the feedback tracker, you can find it here: http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=22942.

Unfortunately the only advice I can give in regards to this is that you do not attempt to switch weapons with the addon while a reload is happening. I do not believe a reload in progress can be retrieved with scripting so I can prevent you from switching your weapons and making this bug happen.

Edited by Sniperwolf572

It does not work with AGM.

It does, I play with AGM daily.

Make sure your AGM weapon switch keys or the vanilla ones don't conflict with the weapon keys you defined for this addon, otherwise they will initiate.

Weapon switch which preserves your ability to move only works when you use the keybinds that are explained in the original post.

Magazines seem to disappear with this on, might be a timed thing or after using them a number of times.

Primarily noticed it when mashing the switch weapon keys [Actions 17/18] after a while I can't reload even if i'm not binding my reload key in combination with something else.

Hitting reload just causes a magazine to disappear from my counter/vanish into thin air.

I see someone already posted about it.

are you sure this mod is what's causing it? I have magazines disappear all the time even without switching weapons.

when using TMR bipods, if my weapon is deployed and I reload, that snap seems to cause the reload animation to fail or something, and the weapon breaks.

... this is actually a new game bug. Playing any gesture during the reload breaks the reload completely and permanently for all weapons. You can replicate it by simply reloading and midway through the reload, executing:

player playActionNow "GestureAdvance";

That unit will now be broken and can't ever reload again.

Fairly sure this did not occur before as I tested this specific situation multiple times and people reported being delighted to be able to abort reloads with a weapon switch.

I've made a ticket about it on the feedback tracker, you can find it here: http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=22942.

I explained this earlier. This is a specific issue with gestures and reloads. The root cause of it is now in the base game and can be caused by any mod, any mission, any script if it does what I mentioned.

Yes, this mod will cause it if you switch during a reload.

Yes, ANY mod/script will cause it if they play ANY gesture during ANY reload.

Yes, this is a regression in the game.

The ticket is on the FT, as stated in the quote, if you want to vote it up.

Edited by Sniperwolf572

Ok, the dev branch build that was pushed today seems to have fixed this issue and now only a single magazine is discarded if you attempt to play a gesture during a reload.

I can't recall if it did this before or not, but I'm fairly sure it did. Either way, for the purposes of this mod, it's not a big of a deal and maybe even kinda a logical drawback.

please consider updating this mod to the new weapon selection system, so that you e.g. can use 1,2,3 keys to select a weapon directly instead of using the old "switch to handgun" and "switch to launcher" action!

• Like 2

Better yet, submit and build it directly into Ace ? used the same 123 keys right ?

Better yet, submit and build it directly into Ace ? used the same 123 keys right ?

As I understand someone could prefer to not submit his work into a bigger project, I quote for an ACE integration as it would be perfect !! At least a perfect compatibility with the new selection system "1,2,3".

Thanks for your work, this is something I was really looking for ;)

please consider updating this mod to the new weapon selection system, so that you e.g. can use 1,2,3 keys to select a weapon directly instead of using the old "switch to handgun" and "switch to launcher" action!

This could've been done even in the initial version, but the major reason it wasn't is because I was afraid of tying multiple actions to the "Use Action ##" keys. Technically, this is on my imaginary planned to do list. But the only way to do it properly would be to use the CBA keybinding system, which would fuck over anyone who is using the mouse as their system does not support mouse buttons due to this and I'm sure BI doesn't even have something like this on their radar.

As I understand someone could prefer to not submit his work into a bigger project, I quote for an ACE integration as it would be perfect !! At least a perfect compatibility with the new selection system "1,2,3".

Thanks for your work, this is something I was really looking for  ;)

I have no problem with this, and as I already said to multiple people suggesting this over PM's, they (or anyone else for that matter) are free to take the idea and run with it. Besides that, the code itself would be of no use to them and I'd probably rewrite it to be something less shit if I were to update this anyway. Either way, RL isn't being kind at the moment, my time for modding is non-existent, let alone lobbying and supporting a feature in another mod.

This could've been done even in the initial version, but the major reason it wasn't is because I was afraid of tying multiple actions to the "Use Action ##" keys. Technically, this is on my imaginary planned to do list. But the only way to do it properly would be to use the CBA keybinding system, which would fuck over anyone who is using the mouse as their system does not support mouse buttons due to this and I'm sure BI doesn't even have something like this on their radar.

is it really a difference wether the use action to trigger the switch to handgun action or the select handgun/rifle/launcher action? i have no understanding of the matter but im really happy that a3 finally scrapped the hardcoded number keys and having the 2 old switch to launcher and switch to handgun actions is kind of a step backwards in that matter, i allways hated the actions so much almost more than not beeing able to move while switching  ;)

is it really a difference wether the use action to trigger the switch to handgun action or the select handgun/rifle/launcher action? i have no understanding of the matter but im really happy that a3 finally scrapped the hardcoded number keys and having the 2 old switch to launcher and switch to handgun actions is kind of a step backwards in that matter, i allways hated the actions so much almost more than not beeing able to move while switching  ;)

Yes, that's a positive thing, but that's not what I'm talking about. I'm not talking about action menu actions, I'm talking about "inputactions", the things you bind your controls to in the controls menu.

What gets called when you trigger a weapon switch is just a piece of code, it has nothing to do with the default game switch, it's still in the game and I'm not doing anything to it. If you bind the key to the default switch and it will switch like it always does.

To do this moving switch, you merely need to execute:

[player, [<switch info>]] spawn TEN_fnc_wpnSwitch_performSwitch;

And it basically plays a gesture, waits, changes your weapon, resets your animation, then plays a gesture again.

Now you can make so that piece of code can be triggered by the user in a lot of different ways. But none of them come without a significant downside, and most addons merely make compromises.

1) You can add an action to the action menu for the user to activate

2) You can use a Key event handler to detect keys being pressed by the user and activate it

3) You can use a Mouse event handler to detect mouse buttons being pressed by the user and activate it

4) You can listen for an "inputaction" (Basically, all things listed in the default arma controls are an "inputaction", for example the "CarFoward" inputaction reacts to you pressing a key that's bound to it (it has nothing to do with action menu actions). When you're press it, it will be 1, when you are not, it will be 0, when you are using an Xbox controller and it's bound to the trigger that you can partly press, it will be in the range of 0 to 1 depending on how hard you're holding the button.

What I'm saying is that there is currently no sensible way to provide both the mod user and the mod dev with a satisfactory solution that covers all bases and isn't obtrusive. For this mod:

1) You can use the keybinding system CBA built, which is great for the user so they can rebind as they please and all mods that use it are located in the same location. It's great for the mod author as the addition of one of those actions if really simple. The downside is that it can't deal with mouse interaction which is caused by the ticket I linked in my previous post, which to me is a requirement for this, many people have it bound currently to Mouse 4 and such. If I do this, we can wave mouse switching goodbye.

2) You can listen for one of the default "UserAction##" inputactions to be activated (like the addon currently does). It's good for the user because it uses the default interface for binding controls, it's bad for the user because they're horribly labeled and unintuitive. The major problem here is that if multiple mods are using this, they will conflict hard because there is only limited number of those actions and new ones can't be added. The more of those actions I use, the more chances are that I will conflict with others and that we will cause problems for eachother. Nobody "owns" them, you can't namespace them, they're just there but they aren't really useful in the Arma ecosystem. You don't want to switch weapons and see that you also attached a silencer/folded your stock/ejected from your seat/whatever.

3) You can listen to the default game actions (Like "SwitchWeapon", "SwitchPrimary", etc.), but you can't reliably override them and they also inherit the problems from number 2 in regards to author concerns.

4) The simplest way is to hardcode it, but then the users will be forced to use the keys that you decided on and there is no way for them to change that. You might also be conflicting with other addons or base game depending on the users keybinds and there would be no way to change that for the user. This is absolutely not an option.

As you can see within the community, the compromises are various according to the above. If we take examples of the most common ones, ACE uses CBA, certain things are hardcoded, RHS uses an amalgamation of hardcoding and UseAction system combined through their menu, AGM used their own menu again limited in various ways, etc.

Hence my proposal to let the authors tap into the default game inputaction system, for the benefit of users and authors, but I'm sure we'll see the next iteration of Arma before something like that happens in Arma 3.

elf! (engine limitation frustration).
Boy, bohemia interactive really didnt design these features with much foresight... why dont they simply made it in a way that allows modders to set "hud_fastswitch 1"/"impulse x"  like in the good old days, since that part of code from arma 3 stems from the good old days anyway XD

hey,

great idea!

works with ACE, but it does not take the binding changes immedeately, so you will need to restart the game.

Works for me on ace...Are you holding the button or do you just press it?

:459: This should be celebrated as was the add of FFV!!! 

SWITCHING WEAPONS ON THE MOVE NOW OFFICIAL! going to be in Apex WOO!

Finally... This mod is by far one of my favorites.

Finally... This mod is by far one of my favorites.

Even when BIS just implemented this in recent Dev builds?

• Like 1

Even when BIS just implemented this in recent Dev builds?

I meant, finally they added it to the main game. I've used this mod since it came out in the alpha since standing still to change weapons always bothered me.