Sniperwolf572

Switching weapons on the move

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned. you can prevent weapon from firing using setWeaponReloadingTime command every frame required.

Forwarded to Smookie. ;)

Thanks. ;)

thanks for your answers :)

I wonder if it's possible to just skip certain animations instead of making them from scratch and attaching the rifle to the soldier's chest, like they did it in Arma 2 for binoculars

It's not how it works unfortunately, soldier animation applies to the entire soldier and all his gear (except for the Gestures system which is what makes this addon possible, but can't be sanely used for rifle-on-chest thing).

For the rifle to be slung on your chest while your pistol is drawn, every single animation (approximately hundreds of various states) that is used for the pistol movement would have to be adjusted. There's no proper quick fix for this unfortunately. :(

Thanks to some friends who staged a 5 man MP test tonight, I wasn't able to notice any horrid MP bugs with the approach present in 1.4.3 during a basic test and over a couple of PvZeus sessions.

Version 1.4.4 has been released and the links can be found in the first post. This version also implements the scripted prevention for the launchers to fire during the switch, which should make using this with the launchers slightly safer.

Would be nice if one of the disableWeapons, disableWeaponsLong, enableMissile, canPullTrigger properties found in configs worked in gestures to block the launchers from the config but this works as well. Thanks zGuba. ;)

As I'm feeling comfortable that this will not wreak havoc in MP after tonight, I've also signed the addons (hopefully properly) and the keys are available in the 1.4.4 archive. Feel free to mirror the 1.4.4 version.

Edited by Sniperwolf572

New mod or update v1.4.4 available at withSIX. Download now by clicking:

@ten_switchweapons.png

@ Sniperwolf572;

Soon you will be able to manage the promo pages of your content on our web platform and publish new content yourself.

To do so, please hit 'this is me' button on the page while logged in and you will get connected to your work.

For now you can send new content or releases our way through withsix.wetransfer.com or add your notification at getsatisfaction.withsix.com.

New version frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

===================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

thank you for the update. :) still using it everytime I play A3!

edit: I forgot to mention, but is anyone else having problems with this mod when playing an ALiVE mission? seems like the 2 mods are conflicting.

Edited by ltsThomas

hmm, yes I thought I had done something wrong with the key config. It's not working for me either.. even with the new version ?

SJ

New mod or update v1.4.4 available at withSIX. Download now by clicking:

http://img-cdn.withsix.com/mods/rv/@ten_switchweapons.png

Thanks for the mirrors fellas, much appreciated. :)

thank you for the update. :) still using it everytime I play A3!

edit: I forgot to mention, but is anyone else having problems with this mod when playing an ALiVE mission? seems like the 2 mods are conflicting.

hmm, yes I thought I had done something wrong with the key config. It's not working for me either.. even with the new version ?

SJ

You're welcome, glad to hear it's being used. :)

I've downloaded ALiVE and launched it alongside this mod and it seems to be working fine for me. Both in the editor and while playing their provided showcase, "Foursome", which did throw some ALiVE scripting errors on mission launch, but that didn't seem to interfere with weapon switching.

Maybe some other mod is somehow interfering? Also double check to make sure the addon is loaded and the keys are bound to proper action. :)

Any way to get this to work in arma 2?

I have not tried to make this work in Arma 2, but off the top of my head, Arma 2 lacks certain commands and features that make direct porting impossible without redoing it as an Arma 2 specific version (handgunWeapon, functions library postInit, etc). But these should not be showstoppers as it can probably be worked around. The main things it depends on is, if the gesture system works the same way as it does in Arma 3.

Thanks a million Sniperwolf! Can't play Arma without this now :)

You're welcome, glad it makes the game more enjoyable for you! ;)

Well that atleast gives a little hope for it lol...what about it being done without animations? i know that would be kinda cheesy i guess you could say but if it could be done even without the animations to go along with it it would be nice just to be able to do it at all.

This isn't working for me and I just get the usual menus when pressing TAB+1 or TAB+2. I'm also using this mod http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?167744-Keys-Enhanced-Interaction-System and in the Editor, I couldn't switch to handgun with either TAB+1 or Shift+1 or 2 and there's no action menu option for this as that mod removes it. Loading my saved Campaign mission, I can switch between main gun and handgun with Shift+2 but TAB+1 or Shift+1 just opens the menu as does TAB+2.

If I Unbind "Weapons > Switch gun / launcher" and "Weapons > Switch gun / handgun" and bind Shift+1 and 2 to User 17 and 18 (leaving TAB+1 and 2 bound as well) then it still just opens the menu when pressing Shift+1 or 2.

This isn't working for me and I just get the usual menus when pressing TAB+1 or TAB+2. I'm also using this mod http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?167744-Keys-Enhanced-Interaction-System and in the Editor, I couldn't switch to handgun with either TAB+1 or Shift+1 or 2 and there's no action menu option for this as that mod removes it. Loading my saved Campaign mission, I can switch between main gun and handgun with Shift+2 but TAB+1 or Shift+1 just opens the menu as does TAB+2.

If I Unbind "Weapons > Switch gun / launcher" and "Weapons > Switch gun / handgun" and bind Shift+1 and 2 to User 17 and 18 (leaving TAB+1 and 2 bound as well) then it still just opens the menu when pressing Shift+1 or 2.

I've just installed Sakura's addon and tried it alongside the latest version of this addon. There don't seem to be any conflicts and weapon switching works ok here.

Make sure that the addon is actually loaded, it's been the reason why it doesn't work in majority of cases so far.

"Use Action 17" and "Use Action 18" should be bound to any key that doesn't come in conflict with other infantry action (TAB+1, Shift+1 are only examples, you can use something like Mouse 4 or whatever fits you).

"Use Action 17" mimicks "Weapons > Switch gun / handgun" and "Use Action 18" mimicks "Weapons > Switch gun / launcher".

Therefore "Weapons > Switch gun / launcher" and "Weapons > Switch gun / handgun" should be irrelevant and unbound (or at least bound to keys that do not come in conflict with UA17 and UA18).

Why din't you used the same keys to switch weapons for this mod instead of adding new bindings?

Why din't you used the same keys to switch weapons for this mod instead of adding new bindings?

I used to, but if you look at the older posts in this thread, it proved unreliable as at times (it would do both BI switch and my switch or just BI switch), binding it to the mouse would be impossible. And a mixture of other reasons, some expressed in this ticket.

Long story short, it would require a roundabout way of detecting and blocking the original action, dealing with the inability to natively handle multi-key combos, etc.

I've just installed Sakura's addon and tried it alongside the latest version of this addon. There don't seem to be any conflicts and weapon switching works ok here.

Make sure that the addon is actually loaded, it's been the reason why it doesn't work in majority of cases so far.

"Use Action 17" and "Use Action 18" should be bound to any key that doesn't come in conflict with other infantry action (TAB+1, Shift+1 are only examples, you can use something like Mouse 4 or whatever fits you).

"Use Action 17" mimicks "Weapons > Switch gun / handgun" and "Use Action 18" mimicks "Weapons > Switch gun / launcher".

Therefore "Weapons > Switch gun / launcher" and "Weapons > Switch gun / handgun" should be irrelevant and unbound (or at least bound to keys that do not come in conflict with UA17 and UA18).

Thanks, I tried again with only TAB+1 and TAB+2 bound, not Shift+1/2 which Sakura's addon uses and it seems to be OK now.

nevermind. This post can be deleted, I've made mistake...

Edited by Pergor

Hey, OP. Great mod! Just what I was looking for.

However, unless I'm going nuts, is the action of transitioning from my rifle to my sidearm just about the same length of time as simply reloading my rifle? A quick test (literally with me just counting out loud the seconds) showed a 4-second reload cycle for my weapon and what felt like a three-and-a-half second transition for my sidearm. I got the same result a few times. I want to believe transitioning to a sidearm is advantageous (beyond the absolute cool factor). Got any insight to this?

If it IS really similar in time, maybe we could look into a version of the mod which speeds up the transition to really make transitioning to pistol a valuable option in a pinch. Dunno. What are your thoughts?

However, unless I'm going nuts, is the action of transitioning from my rifle to my sidearm just about the same length of time as simply reloading my rifle? A quick test (literally with me just counting out loud the seconds) showed a 4-second reload cycle for my weapon and what felt like a three-and-a-half second transition for my sidearm. I got the same result a few times. I want to believe transitioning to a sidearm is advantageous (beyond the absolute cool factor). Got any insight to this?

If it IS really similar in time, maybe we could look into a version of the mod which speeds up the transition to really make transitioning to pistol a valuable option in a pinch. Dunno. What are your thoughts?

A. Agree on all points. Would be great to have switch faster than reload.

B. I love this mod and am pretty surprised it's not more wildly successful.

Having done some comparison tests, these are the times:

[table=width: 400]

[tr]

[td]Default, blocking switch:[/td]

[td]1.3 seconds[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Addon, switch with movement:[/td]

[td]1.8 seconds[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]MX reload:[/td]

[td]3 seconds[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Vermin reload:[/td]

[td]3 seconds[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]M320 reload:[/td]

[td]5.3 seconds[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

So switching is faster by around 1.2 seconds compared to the MX reload, which is almost half the time. Regular weapon switch that forces you to stop is wildly fast, due to the fact it does force you to stop and BI wanted to compensate. If you go to an MG or a sniper rifle, then you'll really see the difference even without timing.

For a movement that involves putting the rifle on the back and drawing the weapon, while also moving, I believe 1.8 seconds is fast enough while not looking silly fast, and it's faster than an MX reload by more than a second. And compared to the BI switch, you can also seek cover while moving.

I know I'm about to be linked Chris Costa videos where the handgun instantly appears in his hands or something, but until we get an animation set where the primary is stowed across the chest so it can be dropped and handgun pulled out, I don't feel comfortable making this switch even faster, given how much benefit it already gives you by allowing you to move.

---------- Post added at 22:47 ---------- Previous post was at 22:25 ----------

B. I love this mod and am pretty surprised it's not more wildly successful.

There's a word in my language, "inat" that describes the reason why I made this thing. It's hard to describe, but it's that feeling you have when you want to defy someones expectations, do something someone is against or claims that you are incapable of doing something. Mix of defiance, spite, but not quite either. :p

Personally, I don't think it needs to be wildly popular, it's just a hack that shows it can be done, BI folks have seen it and there are people that use it. There are also a lot of things missing from it, like switch with the binocs, action menu switching, etc. but time is a bitch.

And to be honest, I'd just love it if in one of the future patches or DLC's BI just made a native version of it instead of us having to guerilla script it. :p

Marksman DLC sounds like a great time to do so, especially considering that they've been messing with the way animations are handled behind the scenes.

Edited by Sniperwolf572

Having done some comparison tests, these are the times:

[table=width: 400]

[tr]

[td]Default, blocking switch:[/td]

[td]1.3 seconds[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Addon, switch with movement:[/td]

[td]1.8 seconds[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]MX reload:[/td]

[td]3 seconds[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Vermin reload:[/td]

[td]3 seconds[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]M320 reload:[/td]

[td]5.3 seconds[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

So switching is faster by around 1.2 seconds compared to the MX reload, which is almost half the time. Regular weapon switch that forces you to stop is wildly fast, due to the fact it does force you to stop and BI wanted to compensate. If you go to an MG or a sniper rifle, then you'll really see the difference even without timing.

For a movement that involves putting the rifle on the back and drawing the weapon, while also moving, I believe 1.8 seconds is fast enough while not looking silly fast, and it's faster than an MX reload by more than a second. And compared to the BI switch, you can also seek cover while moving.

I know I'm about to be linked Chris Costa videos where the handgun instantly appears in his hands or something, but until we get an animation set where the primary is stowed across the chest so it can be dropped and handgun pulled out, I don't feel comfortable making this switch even faster, given how much benefit it already gives you by allowing you to move.

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I did some testing of my own (I did a video record of myself shooting and reloading, transitioning, etc, in-game) and yeah, you're just about spot on with those times. It might just be down to where we post our "start" and "stop" times which make the little differences.

So, in short, I retract my previous critique. I had to look up Chris Costa, and when I did... wow. That guy's pretty talented. Good on him for putting in the hours to hone that technique. I agree, that would be silly if our soldiers in ARMA were as skilled with a handgun as a world-class instructor.

Keep up the good work, man!

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I did some testing of my own (I did a video record of myself shooting and reloading, transitioning, etc, in-game) and yeah, you're just about spot on with those times. It might just be down to where we post our "start" and "stop" times which make the little differences.

So, in short, I retract my previous critique. I had to look up Chris Costa, and when I did... wow. That guy's pretty talented. Good on him for putting in the hours to hone that technique. I agree, that would be silly if our soldiers in ARMA were as skilled with a handgun as a world-class instructor.

Keep up the good work, man!

Thanks! :)

My tests were basically a fired event handler that prints the time difference between two shots in chat, so the tests basically went: Mash the fire button, activate the reload/switch while mashing, when the next shot is fired note the time difference reported.

Thanks! :)

o the tests basically went: Mash the fire button, activate the reload/switch while mashing, when the next shot is fired note the time difference reported.

That sounds awfully familiar. "tik tik tik tik tik tik tik"

Mod is not working with AGM mod. Is there any way to fix that?