Sniperwolf572

Switching weapons on the move

Great work, I'll try it ASAP! :D Put it up on ArmaHolic!

Yay!

I thought I copied and pasted the addon but I didn't :blush:

Also is there any work around to using other keys? I have tab now instead of ctrl on my mouse button, i had a lot of things attached to the ctrl key, so something like ctrl r or ctrl middle mouse or something would be really nice

Excellent, nice to wake up to a good chuckle. :)

Not yet I'm afraid, I think the way I intercept the keybinds might have issues if multiple actions are on the same keys, thus detecting it unreliably or with a delay which makes it a bit late and stops you. Unfortunately I haven't had time to look into it yet, work, etc.

Where do i put the file?

And what is "CBA_A3 and keybinds" mean?

You put the file in a mod folder you create. Go to your ArmA3 root folder then create a folder with a name like "@MyAddons", then create a folder named "AddOns" inside of it then place it in there. Then you add "-mod=@MyAddons" to your launch parameters. You can find those if you right click on your "Arma 3 Beta" and the button for those will be somewhere in there.

CBA_A3 is an addon that's required for this mod to initialize itself which you also have to install, you can find it's thread here.

If you're having problems installing addons, I feel bad for you son, I'm 99% sure that there is a really good "How to install addons" thread somewhere, you can try to find that one. :p

By keybinds, look at the first image in my first post, you have to find those two entries in your ArmA3 controls and bind them to some keys. By default they're bound to ";" key and "ALT+;" if I'm not mistaken. I suggest TAB+1 and TAB+2 like in my screenshot as that works really good for me, but your mileage may vary depending on your keyboard layout. Some key combinations apparently have issues, so you might have to fiddle around a bit to find something that suits you best if those two don't suit you.

Great work, I'll try it ASAP! :D Put it up on ArmaHolic!

Yay!

I'll see what I can do about that, I'm not sure that this is good or polished enough yet that it deserves to join the ranks of quality mods there. ^_^

Edited by Sniperwolf572
Improving the rhyme

Little bit dissapointed that BIS could not do it themselves.

Little bit dissapointed that BIS could not do it themselves.

Well, who knows. Maybe this will give them a way to try it out and see how it pans out in gameplay and see that's it's really vital and useful before commiting time to actually implement it in the core game. I tried to demonstrate one useful scenario in the video, running away from the grenade, where I'd die if I started switching weapons, not being able to move and one landed at my feet. It can even take three times longer if you're moving, as long as you're not glued to one spot, it works for me.

On the first firing drill, not sure what color it is, I think it's green, the bit where you're done with the first set of pistol targets and the next set is the rifle targets, all that long run goes to waste because you have to stop at some point either before or during and switch weapons, because if you reach the firing position and then switch, you've triggered the target and the time it takes to switch could mean the target goes away.

As I said, my way has it's issues due to being a hacky addon, but I'm sure BI can do it way better. I'd love to hear what's the actual technical reason (the engine limitation that they mention) for not implementing it, besides the time/resources. Vespa? Pettka? Anyone? :icon_twisted:

Hell, I was even surprised that animation configs allowed for the flexibility of merging weapon IK with gestures. I assumed the biggest time waster would be that you'd have to make "to" and "from" gestures for each weapon, but that's not the case, new animatios aren't even required, but would look (and probably feel) oh so much better if the default inactive location for the primary weapon was across the chest.

Edited by Sniperwolf572

Excellent, nice to wake up to a good chuckle. :)

Not yet I'm afraid, I think the way I intercept the keybinds might have issues if multiple actions are on the same keys, thus detecting it unreliably or with a delay which makes it a bit late and stops you. Unfortunately I haven't had time to look into it yet, work, etc.

You put the file in a mod folder you create. Go to your ArmA3 root folder then create a folder with a name like "@MyAddons", then create a folder named "AddOns" inside of it then place it in there. Then you add "-mod=@MyAddons" to your launch parameters. You can find those if you right click on your "Arma 3 Beta" and the button for those will be somewhere in there.

CBA_A3 is an addon that's required for this mod to initialize itself which you also have to install, you can find it's thread here.

If you're having problems installing addons, I feel bad for you son, I'm 99% sure that there is a really good "How to install addons" thread somewhere, you can try to find that one. :p

I did all that but with out the launch paramters, but i enabled it in the expansions menu and it didnt work.

And that how to install addons thread that is stickied is pretty garb, doesnt mention needing CBA_A3 or anything of the sort. So it was kinda useless. not everyone is veteran arma players so excuse me for asking for help.

I did all that but with out the launch paramters, but i enabled it in the expansions menu and it didnt work.

And that how to install addons thread that is stickied is pretty garb, doesnt mention needing CBA_A3 or anything of the sort. So it was kinda useless. not everyone is veteran arma players so excuse me for asking for help.

It doesn't mention CBA_A3, because CBA_A3 is another addon that you have to install for this addon to work, it's nothing to do with installing addons so it's not mentioned there.

I just read through the guide and it's pretty well explained by Myke how the addons are installed in as many different ways.

Apologies if "99 problems" parody at the end offended you, it was not meant in a condescending tone.

Basically, I'm not sure how to put it more simply than this:

- Install CBA_A3 from the link I've given you (Open the zip file and extract the @CBA_A3 folder from it into your root Arma 3 folder, that's where arma3.exe is)

- Install this addon (Make a new folder called "@MyAddons" in the root Arma 3 folder, create an "AddOns" folder inside that folder, put the file in my first post inside that folder)

- Set up launch parameters to look like -mod=@CBA_A3;@MyAddons (or enable both @CBA_A3 and @MyAddons in the games mod thingy)

- Set up keybinds as instructed

I knew i did it all correct.

Just went back and re-anabled all the addon's and it works now o.O

Thanks.

I knew i did it all correct.

Just went back and re-anabled all the addon's and it works now o.O

Thanks.

Excellent. :)

This kind of function should have been on the stock game, good job on proving that it is possible(despite the fact it is quite hacky way to make this happen)

One question: does it only works with tab+1/2?

Edited by 4 IN 1

One question: does it only works with tab+1/2?

No, it can work with any* single keyboard key or different keyboard combos that you can bind in the controls menu.

Asterisk is there because the way it's implemented, it will have difficulties/be unreliable with some key combos that have multiple things already bound to them, for example we found out that CTRL + R/T is one of those combos that have difficulties and I'm assuming it's due to the fact CTRL is bound to stance adjust and some other things, while R is reload and W is move forward, I'm assuming there, the conflict stems for the simultaneous inputs that can signal "Adjust stance up", "Reload", "Move forward", "Change weapon" so the scripting command that intercepts it goes like :lookaround: and fails to execute the script in time before you're stopped and the default animation for changing weapons plays.

TAB+1/2 that I've apparently stumbled upon so far has been reliable for me, and I believe the default bindings are too, but they're kinda even harder to hit than TAB+1/2

I've also tried Shift+1/2 and it works, but for me it's bad because I use Shift and 2xShift for temp walk and toggle walk, so it slows me down.

Edited by Sniperwolf572

Ok, I tried it and it seems to work about half of the times (the other half the charachter stops while switching weapons)... I made sure the key I binded is only in use for this action, and it doesn't have any modifiers...

Yay!

I tried this mod and thanks for making it. However, for me, Its counter intuitive. I cannot place a ergonomic key bind that, is not completely awkward, and doesn't cause me to release the "W" key, by accident.. I hope that the mouse click problem can be solved, they hopefully we could use the default action menu weapon switch to activate and utilize this mod..

Edited by Lordprimate

Ok, I tried it and it seems to work about half of the times (the other half the charachter stops while switching weapons)... I made sure the key I binded is only in use for this action, and it doesn't have any modifiers...

Yay!

Right, I've got some good news and got some bad news, here's the good news. I figured out why this was happening and the reason behind it.

At times handling the keypress events would mean also handling the movement, hence the stopping (you could still move during the transition if you depressed and pressed the movement keys again, but that sucks). To combat this, I'm no longer handling the keypresses, which means a few things:

• The most important change, is that we can no longer use "Switch to handgun / launcher" controls because we can't prevent them anymore, the binds will be moved to two of the "User Action XX" controls. Unbind the "Switch to handgun / launcher" keys they are still used for the stop version of the switch.
  • Majority of keybinds that have been reported as not working will work now (CTRL+R, mouse buttons and such)
  • You'll be able to use mouse buttons out of the box now
  • Since the keypresses are no longer handled, you can create conflicts/buggy/lethal/destructive combinations with other infantry controls, it will be up to you to not create these conflicts

Expect the update tomorrow.

I tried this mod and thanks for making it. However, for me, Its counter intuitive. I cannot place a ergonomic key bind that, is not completely awkward, and doesn't cause me to release the "W" key, by accident.. I hope that the mouse click problem can be solved, they hopefully we could use the default action menu weapon switch to activate and utilize this mod..

You are welcome, for best results, feel free to upvote tickets to get this implemented by BI in the game itself, unfortunately I can't provide that level of quality. As for the keys, I'm sorry it's not a quality addon, in the end, it's a proof of concept that this is possible, not much more than that. You might find the tomorrows update more useful. Action menu isn't something I'm looking to alter just yet.

Those were not good news, they were great news! :D

Can't wait to finally play the firing drills with fluid weapon changes!

Yay!

You are welcome, for best results, feel free to upvote tickets to get this implemented by BI in the game itself, unfortunately I can't provide that level of quality. As for the keys, I'm sorry it's not a quality addon, in the end, it's a proof of concept that this is possible, not much more than that. You might find the tomorrows update more useful. Action menu isn't something I'm looking to alter just yet.

no its Quality work!! not like i can do it, i voted on that ticket btw i hope they can resolve it! thanks again im still trying out new key binds. :)

You should try improving it ( if thats possible) its already really good though. Some tweaking and it can be an amazing addon.

Nice work. Its a shame this happens outside of the animation tree and it would be definately beneficial to plant it there instead of guerilla scripts (as much as I like them personally).

Its a shame this happens outside of the animation tree and it would be definately beneficial to plant it there instead of guerilla scripts (as much as I like them personally).

Well, er... that would be up to you wouldn't it?

Nice work. Its a shame this happens outside of the animation tree and it would be definately beneficial to plant it there instead of guerilla scripts (as much as I like them personally).

Agreed, unfortunately my current understanding of the animation tree and the config system isn't up to par. I barely scraped together the config for gestures as is and ran with what I know. Pro tips and pointers to reading material about it are welcome. :)

Love the term guerilla scripts. :D

You saying that the next update will enable us to use mouse 4 and mouse 5 button now? Splendid.

I can't get this working.

Downloaded CBA and the mod, put them into the respective folders and set the -mod paramters. Inside the Expansion menue they're both listed and activated. Keys bound like on the screenshot but he still stops for switching. Any idea what I did wrong? :(

You saying that the next update will enable us to use mouse 4 and mouse 5 button now? Splendid.

Yes, hopefully out later today when I'm back home. :)

I can't get this working.

Downloaded CBA and the mod, put them into the respective folders and set the -mod paramters. Inside the Expansion menue they're both listed and activated. Keys bound like on the screenshot but he still stops for switching. Any idea what I did wrong? :(

No error messages? Can you move if you release and press the movement keys again during the switch? If the second thing happens it's probably a symptom pointing to the issue I'm trying to solve with the next update.

I cannot help much as to my understanding switching between action sets via gesture is impossible at the moment. As always, slight chance this gets attention in one of the patches.