Sign in to follow this  
comp_uter15776

Laser painting

Hey all,

I have a query about the upcoming game, and was wondering if anyone was able to help unearth something I possibly have overlooked.

As we all know, Arma's use of Lasers is either as a pointer for infantry, and well... At the moment that's about it, or so far I've seen. The aircraft don't appear to use laser guidance; only radar; i.e. the firing mode and acquisition phases are pretty much the same as launching a semi/fully active radar guided weapon. My question is that firstly, will we see the introduction of laser targeting/painting; by targeting I mean having to have a gunner constantly track the enemy until splash? Secondly, if the first question's answer is yes, will we be able to take advantage of aircraft LDP's which have the ability to perform laser painting and pointing, like those in the EF2000, where pilots are able to mark spots using their laser pod to aid soldiers on the ground?

That's it for the LDP and laser targeting, but I have one final question :3

Can we expect to see BIS implement MIDS or another datalink protocol into vehicles to allow a JTAC/FAC or other observer to mark targets which can then be fed into the vehicles' system?

Many thanks in advance to anyone who is able to cast some light on my queries.

Regards, Comp_uter15776

It's certainly possible, as demonstrated by the ACE2 modification. Similar features may also be present in vanilla Arma 2, I rarely played without ACE2 so am uncertain.

Likewise, the SDV commander/"gunner" periscope has a Laser Marker built-in, even if its functionality is uncertain.

With the lazer designator (with battery) as a ground unit or from a vehicle (land or sea) with a lazer designator, you can point at something and if there is a helicopter doing CAS assigned to you (via the support CAS module) that you have called with suitable ordinance, if you laze something and give the helicopter time to get into position they will fire upon it until you stop lazing,

No doubt when we get planes, they will be able to drop bombs rather than ATG missiles like the helicopters use, as aircraft have their own CAS module separate to the helicopter module, also I would guess if a lazer was added to an aircraft it would work in the same way as for ground unit/vehicle.

There is the SDV’s and the strider with lazer designator, though the strider will only work for OPFOR/BLUFOR if it was an empty vehicle that you have occupied, if its occupied by greens and they laze for a friendly side it doesn’t work, likewise for green ground units lazing for friendly sides, there are no ground units who have lazer designators by default, so the easiest way is to just get one INCLUDING THE REQUIRED BATTERY from the “supply†& “support†ammo crates respectively for quick testing.

Cheers for the replies guys. I am particularly pleased that we can already see vehicular laser designation in the works.

However, does anyone know if those lasers mentioned would actually be able to function just like the IR pointer weapon attachment?

Regards, Comp_uter15776

However, does anyone know if those lasers mentioned would actually be able to function just like the IR pointer weapon attachment?

It's certainly possible, and would be nice to see the infra-red beam when designating targets, instead of the red globe which is the usual place-holder.

Edited by MissileMoose

You like that phrase :p Yes, something visual like that would greatly help people on the ground - a pilot could identify potential threats and mark them out so infantry can bypass or attack them...

I'll continue to hope, then!

Regards, Comp_uter15776

You like that phrase :p Yes, something visual like that would greatly help people on the ground - a pilot could identify potential threats and mark them out so infantry can bypass or attack them...

I'll continue to hope, then!

Regards, Comp_uter15776

Ah! I've only just realised... Well, I speak the truth. I suspect that the implementation of such feature would be low priority for BIS, so it may be worth trying to make a few changes yourself. I haven't played Arma 3 for a long time, so am not sure if laser targeting systems have been implemented yet, but if they are it shouldn't be too difficult to add the infra-red beam to a model. Start by taking a look at the IR pointer attachment configuration, in the editor.