Sign in to follow this  
M2rine

Question about developers

I've been thinking. Since ArmA (or arguably ofp) we have seen the very skeleton of the game practically unchanged. Things like AI, commands, action scroll menu etc. they have been so hardcoded to engine we see them now as they were 7+ years ago.

So here comes the question. Are developers who designed, created, coded original engine systems like those above are still working at BiS? If not, are contemporary devs even aware how all those things work? Or they're just adding "fluff" (physix, animations, scuba, thermo etc., you get the idea) on top of an old skeleton, without touching the "sticky parts" as them now has to be completely rewritten or reverse engineered?

And I'm serious, no troll question.

Not that I am have any inside info regarding the intricacy of the arma development studio, but I heavily doubt that they “do not know what they are doingâ€.

I think they just hit a good recipe when it comes to how such a sim game should be made, and if the recipe works then why would one change it :P I at least have found great comfort in the fact, that I can go into a new arma game and knowing what I can expect. Same scripting language, same editor and same many many things. It does make it a lot easier for the modding community as well, not having to relearn new systems and tools. Well, granted new tools are continuously released, but it is more updates than anything.

If it works, there is no reason to change it, I assume has been the politic these last couple of years. I am not saying that all the core arma mechanics are perfect, but they are pretty solid when it comes to the requirements of the arma playstyle.

There are least two devs who I know to have been here from the beginning, the Spanel brothers... but one is CEO (read: has a lot more on his plate than just Arma) and the other is DayZ's lead programmer. Beyond that, I have no idea.