Sign in to follow this  
copper2010

Why to people play so much Life and Wasteland?

The best game modes by far, consist of Wasteland, Tee Times, Domination, Life. Life brings you an experience of living on a large scale island. You've got a choice of living in 4 different towns, working various jobs legal, or illegal, and purchasing things to live off the land. Wasteland is a PVP Sandbox, and offers variety in terms of gameplay. Team up, and play hard to get objectives to prove you are stronger, more fit than everyone else. Build a base and guard it well while a squad goes out for survival supplies, weapons, vehicles, things to make life a bit easier. Or play solo, just to show your a one man army. Domination, Team Vs AI Teams, self explanatory. Capture towns heavily fortified by AI. Now my personal favorite, Tee Times warfare. Its brings flavor from Domination, but instead of PvE, its Team Vs Team. I like being able to work with a team, against another team, just to show which team has skills to really get the job done. It is indeed fun. Especially when you have multiple squads. Tee Times is what you want to play for a genuine Arma Experience. There are AI, but very few, and most of the time, your going up against other players.

Wasteland is pure PvP, without mods. For it to be so popular bodes well for all pvp players.

Remember, Playable Netcode only came to Arma with the v.60 patch, X-mass, 2011 --'bout a year and a half ago.

Consider, without v.60, Dayz would have been a non-starter as a PvP.

So here we are with Arma3 --servers full of people shooting at eachother, and not shooting at lame AI.

People are developing A&S, C&H, even TDM modes which will blow our minds once we move to the big island.

We are gonna see logistics and teamwork at a whole new level just in straight-up vanilla.

I see Wasteland as 'gateway drug' to some serious organized TvT down the road.

Arma2 was about coop; Arma3 is about PvP.

The future is bright.

Find a server you like and support it. Find some Bros in that server and buddy-up, form fireteams and squads.

Play hard, kill the enemy and know, the enemy are just as motivated to kill you.

lol "PvP"

Sorry but i had to laugh a little here.

Anyone who wants to play this game for the person vs person "FPS TDM style" is just a bad who can't survive in the games that are INTENDED for that purpose . (Battlefield, CoD) .

I personally poured some 1200 hours into battlefield 4 spread out over 2 accounts, (4.2 k/d, no vehicle crutches and no metro, only m16yoloswag assault) and i declare anyone who wants to play THIS game with the same purpose; insane, or just very bad.

It's like "i can't survive in those games, so i'm gonna be a retard in Arma instead" .

Yes, i'm a little bit pissed off that there's almost no domination servers available, and if i find one it's unplayable because of the server CRAWLING under the weight of the engine.

This game is SO not suited for TDM style gameplay, but SO PERFECT for doing cool missions and domination.

WHY THIS WASTELAND CRAP COME ON >_<

lol "PvP"

Anyone who wants to play this game for the person vs person "FPS TDM style" is just a bad who can't survive in the games that are INTENDED for that purpose . (Battlefield, CoD) .

I personally poured some 1200 hours into battlefield 4 spread out over 2 accounts, (4.2 k/d, no vehicle crutches and no metro, only m16yoloswag assault) and i declare anyone who wants to play THIS game with the same purpose; insane, or just very bad.

It's like "i can't survive in those games, so i'm gonna be a retard in Arma instead" .

Yes, i'm a little bit pissed off that there's almost no domination servers available, and if i find one it's unplayable because of the server CRAWLING under the weight of the engine.

This game is SO not suited for TDM style gameplay, but SO PERFECT for doing cool missions and domination.

But, playing versus these crappy AI isn't funny.

lol "PvP"

Lol, even a 133t b4 player could play well in arma pvp.., but the pace is slower.

Movement and maneuver is where arma pvp shines --not something found in scripted corridor shooters.

And endlessly repeating missions til every square yard is known may lend a sense of 'skill' to a player, but there's little skill involved in meta-gaming.

Arma AI can be suprisingly challenging with the right mission and ai mods/tweaks. Combined with a Headless Client, ai seem to come to life.

But to a pvp player, even a tough, smart ai is..., well, ai.

Keep an eye out for this mod:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?163550-Tactical-Battlefield-A-PvP-Gameplay-Modification

Open beta is coming soon.

lol "PvP"

1. Maybe I don't want to spend an extra $60 for a game that...

2. Has obnoxious visuals/UI elements that give me a headache and

3. Is over-the-top frantic and mindless and

4. doesn't even have a semblance of realism to it (though it tried to appear that way - BF was best when it was gamey and didn't try to cover up that fact) and

5. is full of obnoxious tweens shouting random epithets and insults and typing in penises and other such idiocy (this is really minimalized in Arma thankfully)

I enjoy TDM, prefer more tactical modes like KOTH/CTF, but stick with Arma because I love the pacing, relative realism, and simplicity of visuals/graphics. Also, I play the game for other, non-TDM purposes, so the $35 I spent on it was already a sunk cost, and spending twice that much more on a game that I aesthetically dislike is just not a good use of my money. Saving it in a bank is, so that's what I do with it.

When I was 16 I loved BF, but I'm not a... caffeine-fueled twitcher that can handle hours on end of intense combat without getting a severe headache. Well, I can sometimes, but I don't want to make a habit out of it. It's more stress than it's worth now. Also, I like spending time with a more mature crowd, or at least not being constantly reminded of the fact I'm playing with a bunch of kids.

Oh, and if I could script for MP worth a damn, I'd make a Delta Force-style CTF for sure. It's where each team has like 10-20 flags in their territory to defend/take back to spawn, and the winner either takes them all or has the most after a couple hours playtime. That would be killer for Arma. I really hope one of the skilled MP guys makes that, or it gets added to Tactical Battlefield down the line.

Edited by DNK

Oh, and if I could script for MP worth a damn, I'd make a Delta Force-style CTF for sure. It's where each team has like 10-20 flags in their territory to defend/take back to spawn, and the winner either takes them all or has the most after a couple hours playtime. That would be killer for Arma. I really hope one of the skilled MP guys makes that, or it gets added to Tactical Battlefield down the line.

Have you considered playing TeeTimes Warfare or BECTI Warfare? That is exactly what you are describing here.

TeeTimes is a mixed PvP tactical gamemode, were you fight for about 8-15 locations on the island either Stratis or Altis. Once your team gets them all you win the round.

BECTI is a PvP and PvE tactical gamemode, were you fight for total control of the whole island mostly Altis. Goal is reather different, atleast that's how I see it, get as many towns as possible so you could be able to afford vehicles, AI units to either get more towns or to find the opposite team and try to destroy every asset they own to win the game. Once that is done round is over.

No, it's not, and I have. I loved BE Warfare in OA, but it's not the same now, and it's not at all what I'm talking about: infantry-based pure PVP flag capture is totally different from combined-arms-based town PEvPE capture.

What we have here is a thread of people upset because there is no one to play their precious "True Arma" game mode/Mission with. Because people are busy playing game modes/Missions that they actually enjoy. So these "True Arma" guys have to impotently rant about these "COD/BF kiddie" missions. More people playing Arma in ANY mission or ANY mode is ultimately good for the game/franchise. If you don't like Life, Wasteland, Zombies, etc, DON'T PLAY THEM. But STFU about people who do enjoy them and do play them, you are not better than them, you are not more serious than them, you are JUST LIKE THEM.

I think that Arma has a lot of potential for more PVP gamemodes, but someone needs to go it right. I'm still waiting for a PVP mode with all Arma content (jets, helicopters, vehicles, submarines and etc.)

Play BECTI redone by Zerty, alredy does everything you say. Look for our server: (here's my plug) http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?170597-Warfare-CTI-PERF-Seattle-WA-www-ofps-net

We're full almost every night (32players).

No problem for me, but i prefer simple and faster Pvp modes. But i wonder: how can people really play this mode? I Get 35 Fps Gaming but in wasteland drops to 10! Impossible for me

See above comment, our server does a good job and keeping client FPS as high as possible.

They're both insanely boring and it makes me mad because I don't see many DM DOM or COOP modes

BECTI is a mix of coop and PVP, you really should try it out.

Because is really hard to play in a public server with some organization in ArmA, Coop or PvP, when one player alone can jeopardize the whole thing.

Those missions are also more plug and play, easier to get in and have quick good time.

We have a lot of regulars on our server who talk a lot and help new people out all the time. Ask them for help on VON, most people don't respond well if you just type it out. Most times i'm on the server people are working together a lot, they're not in clans/groups or know each other. It's completely public.

Many gamers don't have that much free time. If you have say two hours max gaming time per day, you want to use that effectively. Life and Wasteland offer casual gamers (not necessary "CoD or CS kids") easy to approach and guaranteed gaming experience just like you regular Team Fortress 2 round for example.

I have been working hard lately on tweaking the #'s so that a CTI round lasts less than 4 hours. A good team could probably win a round in 2-3 hours if it worked well together. The best part about what I've done is that a new player can join, assist his team in capping towns and in a short while have enough cash to buy some decent hardware (tank, light attackheli, etc).

Though there are also Arma vets who enjoy those game modes, for the most part, new & ignorant players play DayZ, Wasteland & Life. I don't mean that in a bad way, but rather in a literal way. Some people simply just don't realize the magnitude of the game as a whole. All's they know is they're going to play this DayZ/Wasteland/rpglife "game".

Right on the money, many players do not know any other game modes other then the popular ones. If people even KNEW how much all out warfare BECTI provided I believe they would switch very fast.

What we really need is a comprehensive PvP game mode involving land, sea, and air assets all involved in a massive operation on these massive islands. I still don't see anything like that yet. The closest is Invade and Annex but that is P v AI which takes most of the fun out of it IMO.

Yes! It's out there and it's called BECTI. The amount of tactics available to a single person is too long to list.

The game is crying out for some good PvP modes/mods.

I don't like wasteland and haven't tried life. Loved project reality in Arma 2...

I was a fan of PR, hopefully they get it right for Arma 3. In the meantime, I recomend you try a mission that has been around for years; BECTI.

lol "PvP" Sorry but i had to laugh a little here.

Your post/ignorance makes me laugh.

So I was replying to a comment early, when I realized my response was so big, it probably belonged in its own thread.

The thread was concerning that 50% of servers these days are Life servers and Wasteland. And I can't say I disagree. I see one or two domination servers now that are populated enough for me to join.

Why is this?

One reason I think is that most people are casual gamers (casual in the sense that they play COD and Halo) they don't want the huge amount of teamwork and coordination needed to play on a realism domination server. So what do they do? Go to Life servers, which are pretty easy to understand and play, and wasteland, which is basically dayz without the zombies (in the sense that you shoot anything that moves). In both gamemodes, the players are encouraged to kill each other rather then work together. And humans seem to have a much better time killing each other then working together.

This means that you pretty much have to join a clan if you want a "true arma experience".

Then there are people like me, people who play games in "waves" I play one game for about a week, then get bored of it, move on and play other games, and come back to it about a week or two later. This means that I basically get kicked out of any tactical realism clan I join, cause I lose interest, when in reality I am just taking a break from it. Which makes me sad :(.

This is another reason why people play Life and Wasteland, you play, you die, you play again. Then you quit when you want. No long battles, no huge commitment, no drills.

Well, that is all I can think of right now, what are your guy's thoughts on the subject?

I tend to disagree with your post about wasteland servers. The server I play on regularly has a pretty core team that works well together. We set up bases and do objectives. Generally there are 8-12 of us on one team who play together and the other teams are populated by server regulars who play together. It makes for a truly real battle scenario you don't know where or when the other team will strike. you have no idea if they are moving to your base position to take it out ect. There are always a few independent who are doing there own solo/assassin thing however but that's to be expected. In the domination type maps its to scripted. The all out fact of blind war is much more exciting to me.

As others have said, BECTI is the best mode available, if only more people knew about it. Reminds me of the "onslaught" mode of Unreal Tournament.

I wonder why it doesn't exist BECTI missions without AI? Would it not work? I hate playing vs AI.

I wonder why it doesn't exist BECTI missions without AI? Would it not work? I hate playing vs AI.

People did make TvT versions back in Arma2 etc- i'm sure there will be some eventually.

So I was replying to a comment early, when I realized my response was so big, it probably belonged in its own thread.

The thread was concerning that 50% of servers these days are Life servers and Wasteland. And I can't say I disagree. I see one or two domination servers now that are populated enough for me to join.

Why is this?

One reason I think is that most people are casual gamers (casual in the sense that they play COD and Halo) they don't want the huge amount of teamwork and coordination needed to play on a realism domination server. So what do they do? Go to Life servers, which are pretty easy to understand and play, and wasteland, which is basically dayz without the zombies (in the sense that you shoot anything that moves). In both gamemodes, the players are encouraged to kill each other rather then work together. And humans seem to have a much better time killing each other then working together.

This means that you pretty much have to join a clan if you want a "true arma experience".

Then there are people like me, people who play games in "waves" I play one game for about a week, then get bored of it, move on and play other games, and come back to it about a week or two later. This means that I basically get kicked out of any tactical realism clan I join, cause I lose interest, when in reality I am just taking a break from it. Which makes me sad :(.

This is another reason why people play Life and Wasteland, you play, you die, you play again. Then you quit when you want. No long battles, no huge commitment, no drills.

Well, that is all I can think of right now, what are your guy's thoughts on the subject?

That's the reason why i uninstalled arma3 and stick with arma2.

I don't agree with the above. I just played an Altis life revolution (newer version with multiple factions) and there was a fair bit of team play going on with strategy and objectives. This does favor the casual gamer though, and the objective might be to rob a bank or something but it suits me just fine for a hour or two of fun.

The reason why I like the "Revolution " Version of Altis life is because there seems to be twice the amount of action with a fifth the amount of butthurt.

For regular life you have say 50 civs and 10 cops and all it amount too is a bunch of RDM, but hurt, admin abuse, and ban threats and day bans. And why wouldn't it be? Everyone has weapons. At least with Revolution you are allowed to shoot most people so it favors the play style of arma .

I also really like the TacBF style missions but they are hardly ever populated arg!!!

Edited by Big_T

1. Because the majority of them don't have proper knowledge about what Arma is capable of.

2. There is not enough 'gumption' of players to form their own proper units/clans that share similiar timezones/playstyle (I myself am guilty of not stepping up more here)

3. Just like DayZ is a genre that is one and of it's own, IMHO Arma is as well. I don't know of any other simulation out there that can even legit be called a "Military Simulation" & for some reason most of the gamers I have had the pleasure of talking with during my 2400+ something hours in Arma 2 & Arma 3 over the past year, have a tendency to try to put new ideas in 'pre-existing categories' they already have laid out, and because of this they play DayZ like they would 'Grand Theft Auto' or 'Call Of Duty' and when they think ''Arma they relate it to DayZ

--Disclaimer--

This is just my educated opinion on the subject and does not intended to express the views of any BIS staff or any other players.

I would also like to end this reply with a question... Since when did the "Life" mods become a free-for-all slaughter house??? I put hundreds of hours into the Arma 2 'Life Mods' & the rules were very explicit and very enforced.

Sometimes i feel like there has been a Grand Theft Arma

1. Because the majority of them don't have proper knowledge about what Arma is capable of.

2. There is not enough 'gumption' of players to form their own proper units/clans that share similiar timezones/playstyle (I myself am guilty of not stepping up more here)

Sometimes i feel like there has been a Grand Theft Arma

We were just thinking the same with few mates from the good old ofp days. ...That wtf. Looking down on that server list. Where is that military simulator :confused:

But on the contrary i think these Life/Wasteland etc. maps are great example of what ArmA is capable of. Just not my cup of tea. There seems to be lack of "middle ground" here. There are these new game modes and then there are these über serious military style gameplay servers. And yea no clans or gaming communities like early ofp/arma days had. But that's just way of the world now. No fun for "old" farts. ;) Anyway I'm glad that someone plays ArmA 3... was it rpg, zombies or what ever. I've played it almost 400 hours and no end in sight.

I allready made the suggestion to make wasteland more realistic,like base capturing where you earn money for it,and then you can buy weapons,tools,items,ammo etc for it.Also missions like outpost missions,chopper,weapon-creates.Also things like you just spawn with 1 pistol and 1 clip for you weapon,no vests,no backpack,no NV-googles,no binoculars,eveyrthing you have to earn on your own.The stuff you need you can find in cars like googles,diving-suits,smaller backpacks,different headgear, and weapons only in military vehicles who spawn near military camps/bases.There you could find vests,helmets,big/military backpacks,weapons,ammo,explosives,and all the other stuff,but also in a limited amount like 1 weapon and 1-2 mags maybe sometimes even a scope.And the weapons in the gunstores would have real weapon prices,so that you have to earn yourself the stuff you want,like assault rifles TRG-20 1800 dollars light MGs 3600 dollars rocket launchers up to 13000 dollars and sniper like the G6-Gepard(Lynx-12,7 Cal) 14,999 dollars.So that the prices are more realistic,but still affordable because you are getting payed by capturing bases and by picking up the money from dead players,so in 30 mins you allready can buy a big sniper and with good equipment etc.Or you could find it in one of the missions who starts all 15-20 minutes.

But no one wants this version,most of the people wanna play this game with tons on vehicles where you find tons of weapons in it just find one and start to kill.I guess people just love it to play as simple as possible,they just dont wanna do anything for there equipment,just open the ass and everything flyes in :cool:

You have just described The Wasteland Sa-Matra version.

I always play this version of Wasteland, and I find it more interesting than the other kinds of gameplay. In the US and Russian servers is common to find cooperating teams, in European servers is harder as not everybody speaks the same language, but recently some good players are playing in wasteland uk #1 server in the opfor team.

Also, you have the Megaconquest by Far.Stan, I have tryed it in empty servers, because sadly nobody plays it, But and it have everything available in Arma 3, Tanks, Choppers, VANTs, everything!

And the main reason because nobody plays ARMA 3 "real servers" is because there is no good multiplayer missions out there!!!!

Since I can only reply and not make a new topic. I am looking for a wasteland mod that is similar to Zargabad in Arma 2. I don't have time to get in and spend half an hour trying to find the gun I want to use and they hopefully not die in that quest, I would like to find a mod that has gun spawns all over the place, and all guns, not just a couple and the rest you have to get from the gun store.

Does anyone know of any servers like this?

it hits closer to home, like some kind of real virtual reality, these games are the closest thing to it, player interactions are always unique granted you aren't shot on sight. I still feel its pretty stale because the maps in these life games, even arma 2 on cherno, they are meant for military battle, so much forests, grass, you just run here and there and see the same damn thing.

need heavily detailed maps that are at least hafe or 1/3 the size of chernarus with building, complexes, apartments, houses, make it american related. but thats too much work, be spending like 2 years making that map but it would be the best thing and put all gaming maps before it to shame. Like a grand theft auto map but with arma's engine so destruction and everything, tone down the graphics if you have to.

mix in some special destructible areas like how battlefield does that levolution thing. Thats probably the next best thing bohemia could do, military wise they have done almost everything except hand to hand combat and further player interactions/animations

Edited by axclaw