Sign in to follow this  
copper2010

Why to people play so much Life and Wasteland?

Because is really hard to play in a public server with some organization in ArmA, Coop or PvP, when one player alone can jeopardize the whole thing.

Those missions are also more plug and play, easier to get in and have quick good time.

+1 in a nutshell

This wasteland BS is the scourge of ARMA, all we need now is a bunch of dayz servers to finally kill the MP game.

Is it just my mistaken impression or did Wasteland actually make it into Arma 3 before Domination, I&A, CTI and such?

Is it just my mistaken impression or did Wasteland actually make it into Arma 3 before Domination, I&A, CTI and such?

I wouldn't know but i feel that too much can be done though the mission editor and we should not have even seen WL until the mod tools were available on final release.

The problem with this premise is that such full-featured Editor capability was promoted by BI as a selling point of the public alpha release. ;)

I'm making my own arrangements to fill this need, none for my guys are playing A3 much because there are no servers running any good PVP missions and the ones there is are full for stupid features.

Not able to host your own?

I was thinking more of 30vs30 Domination kind of, its secret ;)

Hey now, I wasn't asking you to post the name or password here... ;)

Many gamers don't have that much free time. If you have say two hours max gaming time per day, you want to use that effectively. Life and Wasteland offer casual gamers (not necessary "CoD or CS kids") easy to approach and guaranteed gaming experience just like you regular Team Fortress 2 round for example.

My solution would be official milsim(ish) gaming modes that run around the clock and are suited for casual gamers. Casual infantry combat mode could have for example:

-Control points á la TF2

-Dynamically limited map area based on number of players

-Class based equipment

-Light vehicles only

-UI and scoring that promote teamwork

Once casual gamers taste the milsim potential, they could move on to larger scale game modes and so on.

I like Life and Wasteland. Especially on Life servers the community is nicer and more normal.

On the realism servers you often have those douchebags who scream at you because you didnt address them with their correct "rank", and also first you have to install ACE, ACRE, ARGHBARGHL and 500 other mods that make the game more clumsy. I just want to join & play.

Though there are also Arma vets who enjoy those game modes, for the most part, new & ignorant players play DayZ, Wasteland & Life. I don't mean that in a bad way, but rather in a literal way. Some people simply just don't realize the magnitude of the game as a whole. All's they know is they're going to play this DayZ/Wasteland/rpglife "game".

It's okay though, because if that crowd weren't playing DayZ/Wasteland or rpg life, they'd be playing COD or BF. So now atleast they're here and will eventually get to experience the "Milsim" side of the game. Though technically it's not a milsim, you get what I mean.

---------- Post added at 09:53 ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 ----------

On the realism servers you often have those douchebags who scream at you because you're acting like a noob, and also first you have to install ACE, ACRE, ARGHBARGHL and 500 other mods that make the game more clumsy. I just want to join & play.

I fixed your exaggeration to be more inline with how things really are.

I fixed your exaggeration to be more inline with how things really are.

You changed my quote.

So you are one of those joke-figures who wants to get called "General" and "SIR!" on Teamspeak? LOL. Yeah you are exactly the reason why I stay away from most of the Coop servers.

Not sure if this is the right thread but I tried several Wasteland and Life servers to see what all the fuss is about and they all have 11FPS or lower, the main coop servers I play are in the 30-50 mark, is this a mission issue or something I am not doing / setting when I join ? Tried the VD in game which has no effect to this low FPS.

Re: Wasteland: Try the Sa-Matra variant, it's got a reputation for better coding than 404 and GoT variants.

Many gamers don't have that much free time. If you have say two hours max gaming time per day, you want to use that effectively. Life and Wasteland offer casual gamers (not necessary "CoD or CS kids") easy to approach and guaranteed gaming experience just like you regular Team Fortress 2 round for example.

My solution would be official milsim(ish) gaming modes that run around the clock and are suited for casual gamers. Casual infantry combat mode could have for example:

-Control points á la TF2

-Dynamically limited map area based on number of players

-Class based equipment

-Light vehicles only

-UI and scoring that promote teamwork

Once casual gamers taste the milsim potential, they could move on to larger scale game modes and so on.

+18 but never will happen

I love me some wasteland but i'm starting to dabble in some other areas lately. I've been having a blast making custom missions.

Wasteland is fun...or rather Wasteland in Arma 2 is fun. I always stumble across Wasteland servers that lack weapons and vehicles for some reason. It is also the fact that this map is so huge that a server with even 50+ people in uneventful unless you mark on the map where you are.

You changed my quote.

So you are one of those joke-figures who wants to get called "General" and "SIR!" on Teamspeak? LOL. Yeah you are exactly the reason why I stay away from most of the Coop servers.

No one in a mil-sim unit would ever require a pubber to address them by their "rank". If you aren't interested in mil-sim/military realism, why would you even bother to download 500 add-ons to join their server? Hyperbole?

No one in a mil-sim unit would ever require a pubber to address them by their "rank". If you aren't interested in mil-sim/military realism, why would you even bother to download 500 add-ons to join their server? Hyperbole?

I have seen a clan who did request the pubber's to address their sergeants as such........ people are sad.

I have seen a clan who did request the pubber's to address their sergeants as such........ people are sad.

I don't see any problem in that. There might be (and there are) people who simply like to do that. It's kind of roleplaying mil-sim.

The players have absolute freedom to select their company with whom they're playing. If there's a squad that requires the players to address them by their rank and the player doesn't like it, it's not a problem of the squad – they're doing something that they like and that is completely optional for every participant – but it's the problem of that player instead: why does he/she stay in such a squad that he doesn't like? There's huge number of other squads and clans with different kind of stuff available and freedom to select whichever the player wants, so there's no point staying in clan or squad that doesn't offer the right things for him/her.

So I was replying to a comment early, when I realized my response was so big, it probably belonged in its own thread.

The thread was concerning that 50% of servers these days are Life servers and Wasteland. And I can't say I disagree. I see one or two domination servers now that are populated enough for me to join.

Why is this?

One reason I think is that most people are casual gamers (casual in the sense that they play COD and Halo) they don't want the huge amount of teamwork and coordination needed to play on a realism domination server. So what do they do? Go to Life servers, which are pretty easy to understand and play, and wasteland, which is basically dayz without the zombies (in the sense that you shoot anything that moves). In both gamemodes, the players are encouraged to kill each other rather then work together. And humans seem to have a much better time killing each other then working together.

This means that you pretty much have to join a clan if you want a "true arma experience".

Then there are people like me, people who play games in "waves" I play one game for about a week, then get bored of it, move on and play other games, and come back to it about a week or two later. This means that I basically get kicked out of any tactical realism clan I join, cause I lose interest, when in reality I am just taking a break from it. Which makes me sad :(.

This is another reason why people play Life and Wasteland, you play, you die, you play again. Then you quit when you want. No long battles, no huge commitment, no drills.

Well, that is all I can think of right now, what are your guy's thoughts on the subject?

What we really need is a comprehensive PvP game mode involving land, sea, and air assets all involved in a massive operation on these massive islands. I still don't see anything like that yet. The closest is Invade and Annex but that is P v AI which takes most of the fun out of it IMO.