Sign in to follow this  
travisneids

How are you administrating your server?

I'm curious to see what tools people are using to see and do various tasks. How are you managing players? Via command line only or is there a GUI I can install? Is there something I can use to create logs (chat, player actions, etc)? I'm running a dedicated VPN and would really appreciate any tips and tricks people are doing.

Finally got all my network settings tweak and my missions are running stellar!

Thanks!

Good old .bat with self created config files.

Works like a charm, runs great and is very easy to handle/configure what ever you want.

Ive had a look at several server launchers, but the good old way works perectly :)

Sorry I wasn't clear enough. I mean how are you administrating IN GAME? Viewing current players. Logging player activity. Kicking/Banning players. All ingame via console? You know the old RCON type stuff (BF/COD servers) I know and love TADST to start the server.

Thanks!

Unfortunately until BattleEye is released for A3 we don't get no RCONs :( For now it's pretty much in-game console stuff.

Unfortunately until BattleEye is released for A3 we don't get no RCONs :( For now it's pretty much in-game console stuff.

Sounds good. Thanks Savage!

Console on server logs the guid. If I get lucky and the player doesn't disconnect before I can break out the ban hammer in game works but after that guid's have to be manualy added to the bans.txt. Can't wait for Battleye to be released. Never been a fan of server tools myself the DOS console works for me.

P.S. How are you running your server without some kind of RCON?

Console on server logs the guid. If I get lucky and the player doesn't disconnect before I can break out the ban hammer in game works but after that guid's have to be manualy added to the bans.txt. Can't wait for Battleye to be released. Never been a fan of server tools myself the DOS console works for me.

P.S. How are you running your server without some kind of RCON?

Yeah I've done that too but unless I babysit the console it's not really a solution :)

It's hard to run without RCON... we are doing it through smart mission design and reports from players. TBH the amount of hacking, griefing, etc has gone down considerably... maybe cause we are on DEV build?

Usually checking netlog and scooping up a scripters IP, finding out where they live, and threatening them with that is enough to scare off any potential repeat offenders. I'd say a large majority of script injectors are very young and just want to feel like they have power of others...a bit of psychological warfare goes a long way.

"Weak minds sink under prosperity as well as adversity; but strong and deep ones have two high tides." - David Hare

Usually checking netlog and scooping up a scripters IP, finding out where they live, and threatening them with that is enough to scare off any potential repeat offenders. I'd say a large majority of script injectors are very young and just want to feel like they have power of others...a bit of psychological warfare goes a long way.

LOL! Funny you should say this. I have actually done this with some semi skilled A holes. They had skills but failed to cover their tracks. IT students I was able to track down the address and Real names of both offenders. And sent them both emails listing how they were the dumbest wanabee hackers especially sine the were both perusing careers in IT and in a heartbeat I could have ended that by turning them in since it's a big no no to dabbling in such if one wishes to be in such a field of work. They would never have been able to get a job careers ended for such stupid adolescent behavior. Apologize on our site publicly or else is what I told them. They thought I was bluffing and did not do as I asked. I hope they learned a Life lesson. Both expelled from their college courses and looking for new Majors. It was one of those if I ever find out who those douchebags are? Well I actually was able to do that. True story! Natural Selection in action. Dumb is dumb!.

I would rather just play Arma then Admin a server. It's no fun

LOL! Funny you should say this. I have actually done this with some semi skilled A holes. They had skills but failed to cover their tracks. IT students I was able to track down the address and Real names of both offenders. And sent them both emails listing how they were the dumbest wanabee hackers especially sine the were both perusing careers in IT and in a heartbeat I could have ended that by turning them in since it's a big no no to dabbling in such if one wishes to be in such a field of work. They would never have been able to get a job careers ended for such stupid adolescent behavior. Apologize on our site publicly or else is what I told them. They thought I was bluffing and did not do as I asked. I hope they learned a Life lesson. Both expelled from their college courses and looking for new Majors. It was one of those if I ever find out who those douchebags are? Well I actually was able to do that. True story! Natural Selection in action. Dumb is dumb!.

I would rather just play Arma then Admin a server. It's no fun

If there was a hero badge on this forum, you'd be the one to get it!

If there was a hero badge on this forum, you'd be the one to get it!

Seriously!! Extra grits for you!! :cool:

LOL! Thanks! It was one of those once in a lifetime happenings. They picked the wrong server Admin to f@#$ with plus doing research was one of my strong points in college. I was stunned how easy it was to track them down.

Two of Dumbest POS wannabe "Hackers" ever. If your going to hack don't leave a trail a blind person can follow. I had totally forgotten about this until I happened across this thread. :)

Thanks for making me smile. I forgot how good it felt. To all the admins who wish they could get their hands on those little F!@#ing sh*t head cheaters. There is Justice for the server Admin. Just not very much. lol!:bounce3:

Cheers!

Unbelievable how a possible interesting thread can turn into a thread where people feel the need to brag about their abilities to check ip's... I don't like where this forum is going.

Being an admin is a game feature.

Unbelievable how a possible interesting thread can turn into a thread where people feel the need to brag about their abilities to check ip's... I don't like where this forum is going.

Really? Of all the crap posted this is what gets your goat? Perhaps you need:

a - more coffee

b - less coffee

c - some soothing, relaxing reggae to take your mind off your troubles

Unbelievable how a possibly interesting post can turn into a rant where you're obviously touting how much 'better' you are than us :)

Edited by SavageCDN

- Currently - bat + configs + customized windows + auto restarts + rcon

- My Admins kick/ban via rcon

- My Admins Spectate/Playermanagent and delete Vehicles via PG (They are not allowed to: spawn, teleport or to do any game changes)

Future: Arma Server Webadmin Fronend. This will take some time. I will stay on batches / configs in Background because it works.

Security Concerns, webfrontend: Usage only via 2-Factor Auth VPN (Device Certificates)