Sign in to follow this  
qbert

Sound track

I was playing A3 Beta the other day with friends, on a mission that I think was the combined arms showcase. At the beginning part where you're flying in I could swear that there was this funkalicious techno beat playing. I was wondering in general though if sound tracks are something that you guys on the forum are interested in for Arma 3, or is it the first thing to get muted on your sound settings in A3?

Also, if any of you are in the know, what all has been added to the game music-wise? What is rumoured/confirmed on being added? I haven't seen a lot of discussion about sound tracks/music on the forums.

I know I personally would like some Van Halen/ACDC/Creedence Clearwater Revival on my teams helo insertions, of course royalties are a pain so I could understand why that might not ever happen :P, but my point remains: Where do we stand with the sound track?

Personally I've always found the soundtrack in the Arma series to be hit or miss, mostly miss. But I was impressed by the tracks that came with the Alpha ("Solar Power" being my favourite), but most of the tracks that were just added in the Beta are totally badass, the one from the Combined Arms showcase in particular ("StageB_Action" I think, "StageB_Stealth is damn atmospheric too). Music in this series has always had a unique sound, and I really like the direction it started to take in PMC and now in A3.

I hope this thread doesn't now turn into one of those we've had before where everyone says "Here's a track from another game I like!" and the thread degenerates into a list of youtube links to various genres and styles that will never be in Arma in a million years.

Edited by 2nd Ranger

Personally I've always found the soundtrack in the Arma series to be hit or miss, mostly miss. But I was impressed by the tracks that came with the Alpha ("Solar Power" being my favourite), but most of the tracks that were just added in the Beta are totally badass, the one from the Combined Arms showcase in particular ("StageB_Action" I think, "StageB_Stealth is damn atmospheric too). Music in this series has always had a unique sound, and I really like the direction it started to take in PMC and now in A3.

I hope this thread doesn't now turn into one of those we've had before where everyone says "Here's a track from another game I like!" and the thread degenerates into a list of youtube links to various genres and styles that will never be in Arma in a million years.

Is there a way to find the music soundtrack files in A3? Also is it possible to play them with VLC or is the codec unsupported?

Is there a way to find the music soundtrack files in A3? Also is it possible to play them with VLC or is the codec unsupported?

you can hear the music in editor, place a trigger (F3), set comdition: true, in effects, find music and choose any tracks there, when you start mission, track should be playing.

Operation Flashpoint had atmospheric music. The music in that game really helped cement the atmosphere. In all these years not a single game made me as scared as OFP when I heard the sound of tanks approaching from the distance with Armor playing in the background, I could feel the shivers going down my spine.

Or March to Hell when you died, zooming out showing how meaningless your death is in the grand war machine.

And the scene where US troops and a M113 attack with Dark Side playing.

I think the music alone made OFP such a standout game. I mean the ArmA series is great and all, but I feel they sterilize war too much. OFP really made me scared, and the atmosphere was so oppressive and dark. It really helped you connect with the game. It didn't feel like it was forcing "WAR IZ BAD MKEYZ?" down your throat, it felt like the game itself made the atmosphere organically.

Enough with my ramblings, you can insert music pretty easily IIRC, so you can get your Van Halen and the works. I just want the ambiance music to be good.

Well, firstly thank you NeuroFunker, that was a good solution and was a good way to preview some of the tracks.

Secondly, Chaplain, I agree, atmospheric music is very good for building up a tense situation, and even bringing emotional responses. I think it'd be cool if BI somehow did dynamic sound tracks, where situations you're in dictate what track plays. For instance, half your squad dies, and you get a very desperate fighting heroic song or something, or you're travelling through a dark forest like in that first OFP mission, and you hear an iconic orchestral piece. As fpr the Van Halen thing the reason I'd opt for hard rock music like that would be for those "gung ho" face crushing military insertions. I remember a long time ago the community I'm in decided we'd play gangster rap and black metal on a Ventrilo music bot when riding into battle in a stripped down recon humvee, and there was another instance where a friend blared "Eruption" by van halen at 500 percent volume while we did a barrel roll in a UH60 from the 600 (feet? I don't remember the measurement for height in arma) and leveled out at 150.