Sign in to follow this  
fabio_chavez

tweaked lighting cfgs for AiA (give feedback)

Hi,

if you are interested in trying some other lighting configuration for your A2 islands than stratis default lighting, then you might want to try one of these,

dont expect too much its basicly just a few minor adjusments to stratis default lighting!

Please tell me what you think because i dont have the slightest idea anymore, how other people perceive the setting :confused:

About:

"Mist is a phenomenon caused by small droplets of water suspended in air."

"Haze is traditionally an atmospheric phenomenon where dust, smoke and other dry particles obscure the clarity of the sky."

"Seen from a distance, mist is bluish, and haze is more brownish."

how to use:

@mist was created with chernarus in mind

@dry_haze and @wet_haze are both meant to be used on desertish maps,

i recommend to try @wet_haze for takistan and @dry_haze for zargabad, or whatever your preference might be!

dont expect too much its basicly just a few minor adjusments to stratis default lighting!

let me know what you think!

-Fabio Chavez

p.s. AllinArma required, get it here: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?152706-All-in-Arma-(AiA)-TKOH-OA-A2-A1-merge-with-A3

---------- Post added at 23:03 ---------- Previous post was at 22:49 ----------

you really will know what the differences are if you palyed them yourself on different daytimes and weather conditions,

but here are some some impressions to give you an idea:

Stratis Default:

9F7C051FFB20B42A6A4CE6342525F07FD96F7E6F

@wet_haze:

39F8D8FD0C79457A8DE1A8E8F4CDA21902561D8E

@dry_haze:

325D217C0B40C9751EED1CAC03B5A69310373D4D

---------------------------------------

Stratis Default:

ED0DD207917C49DF607BCD4625B409541FA36500

@mist:

6ADB6281809F1C2AED01D105D1BD159D852C55F1

Edited by Fabio_Chavez

Great work and thanks for sharing Fabio :)

It is quite amazing change in tone given the actual subtle tweaks - yet it changes the whole atmosphere.

I would assume the visual difference is even bigger with cloudy/rain and more foggy settings?

You may want to try to find another pair of pics for Chernarus - to change is rather hard to notice on these.

Good work! Now I can play Chenarus without setting overcast really high to avoid the over-bright trees :D

Guys, I may be asking in the wrong thread, but is it possible to "port over" JUST Chernarus, and not any other asset like units/vehicles etc- JUST the map itself please?

Plus, that is looking damn fine for such subtle tweaks Fabio..! ;)

@kju: on cloudy/foggy settings, it seems that actually IRL, a thickly overcasted sky looks pretty much alike anywhere in the wold (at least less differend than a clear midday sky), but i did make changes for the highly overcasted settings indeed.

i also made a ton of compairsion screens for cherno but i was tired and wanted to get the post done, will fix that later, thx for mentioning! ;)

@rolling: you are right, on cherno you should now have a much less fruity appearance on the vegetation, yet compared to A2 cherno it is still more saturated and i think it really adds up and exposes the autum setting much more, especially if you play with clear sky and a bit of fog, it looks like a sunny colda** autum day!

@meshcarver: you can disable the A2 CO content by replacing the pbo in the addons folder that disables A3 content with the one that disables A2 content. you should find "AiA_DisableCOContent.pbo" in "...\Arma 3\@AllInArma\Core\addons\_Optional".

Hi Fabio,

Thanks man, first concise answer I've got and I'll give it a go tonight..! :)

Very nice! Can't wait to try it. Might this be included in AiA?

@fraczek, run one of the included addons as a mod parallel to AiA!

I understand : ) I was asking you and .Kju if your settings might be included by him in AiA by default, per island basis, with due credits :) Although I have no problem with running it as a mod of course!

@Fabio looking lovely mate

Edited by weedman

Thanks for sharing Fabio!

BTW: For some reason the Mega filehosting site only seems to work with Chrome webbrowser so if you only see a blank screen thats the problem. Wierd site that blocks other browsers and give no indication of whats wrong??

/KC

Edited by KeyCat

some console commands that i find usefull for setting up the lighting:

set a date (if you want to change the time of the day manually or if you want stable reference condition, since the time of the year affects sunangles, sunrise/sunset times etc )

[year month day hour minute]

setdate [2013, 7, 15, 3, 50];

check the new fog array, needs a bit of practice to get desireable results on different terrains but its usefull in many ways!

2 setfog [0.3, 0.03, 100];

creates a neat timelapse! (add more 0s to slow it down)

oneachframe {skiptime 0.003;};

sets overcast... its still buggy though you have to change the time of the day to make it work, sometimes it causes the clouds to vanish completely.

2 setovercast 0.57;

now go guys, test and give little feedback so i can improve them further!

you can do grandiose things with these configs! :cool:

723151A73269C82959C7923B6970B8F2625B8FB2

2A4632D09441FF8828189362C0F47EBA83F4DF27

49C76E9A5633C4ADAEBFFEC2F6421447163075FC

---------- Post added at 08:16 ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 ----------

p.s. updated downloadlink

Edited by Fabio_Chavez

bout time someone did this! i was waiting for sakura's stuff but it seems there's nothing really coming from that direction anymore.

good stuff. will test this and give some detailed feedback.

btw what is that afghan looking map in the third pic in your post above your last post?

yes, i saw what sakura was doing and i did not want to play on stratis default anymore, but if .kju didnt provide the config file i wouldnt have gotten to learn it!

im a bit slow and chaotic but now i know about 60-70% of what the parameters are doing.

btw, allready got an updated version for cherno, ill send you if you want, its much (subtly) better imho! i didnt post it here yet because people are not responding so much so ill take my time...

The map on that screenshot is FATA from minimalaco, its a very decent map i cant wait to see the 10x10 updated version!

p.s. sorry for trolling your thread the other day i am a horrible person... -_-

C03ED5F13E9134DF1390D9AB36D926100DB6D377

13F50DFE693FC7D128EEAEE488A165376A5E9C60

Edited by Fabio_Chavez

Fabio, this is great mate- keep it up please..!

Is that the new Chernobyl map released a few days ago?

@meshcarver: thanks meshcaver, ill try to improve the cfgs a little further!

yes, the screenshot with the reactorbuilding is from that map, the modeling of that nuclear compound is very detailed and convincing, the map is very early wip though.

@mordeaniischais: thb i never thought about mess with stratis lighting, BI devs didnt finish it anyway but they did a good job imho, not sure about the fog color but its just a tiny part of the lighting and fog is unfortunately 2 different purposes at the same time, it the normal athmospheric mist (what you see when the view distance fades out) but also the actual fog! on the first purpose the color is appropriate to represent the conditions of a greek island, from what i can tell.

From what i know now, it would be an advantage if athmospheric mist/haze and fog could be handled seperately.

Edited by Fabio_Chavez

the second screen of the last one you posted is just gorgeous!

Now bring that to Stratis. lol, I hate how blue the fog gets v.v

i agree with that. especially when it comes to chernarus. your screens in the first post show the blueness of the fog pretty well. i think you should try to tweak it too. do some very subtle changes. take out some blue and add very slight tints of green/brown.

right now the fog stands out in a bad way. it has to be brought closer to the overall dirty green brownish palette of chernarus. it's like the fog doesn't react to the overall ambient light of the scene at all. it looks more like some kind of chemical gas right now.

i think along with what you did so far it would make it perfect. finally the engine is capable to do this beauty, that chernarus is, justice! make it happen! :)

Edited by Bad Benson
spelling

yes, the screenshot with the reactorbuilding is from that map, the modeling of that nuclear compound is very detailed and convincing, the map is very early wip though.

Wait, what, new Cherno map !?!? Why wasn't I told - link please :)

@Bad Benson: since the first screenshot i further shifted the fogcolor (for low overcast condition) much more toward plain white, and that way it kind of addapts to the sourounding scenery anyway due to the translucency but it might be worth an experiment to addapt the fog color more to the "groundreflection", i wonder if it was too complicated or performance eating if the fog processing was even a bit more sophisticated than it is now, for example a gradient calculation where you can set 2 different colors and the color shifts slowly the further it is away from the camera, that way you could achieve like nice blueish mist on stratis in the distance but more "colorless" fog in your proximity... right now its a bit of a tradeoff.

@old_painless: check here http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=21332

since the first screenshot i further shifted the fogcolor (for low overcast condition) much more toward plain white,

well i was kind of mesmerized by that second screen but now that you say it, there seems to be an improvement in the first one. not sure if it's just the distant fog though. would you care to make some screens of the tweaked fog with more dense fog, so it's easier to judge?

going plain white might be the best. i was talking about colours because i assumed the blueness of the default fog was caused by the way it's rendered. but it still might be worth some tests with VERY slight colour tints.

that looks fantastic. could you please post another screenshot showing low thick fog from the distance exactly like in your first post? because that's when the blueness is most severe. anyways. good job! now upload so i can test after i wake up:p

well hmm basicly even that would look something like blueberry milk

8449D899EE7481DE2C6F5EA3CDB583BC8DDE1B2F

but it also depends a lot of how you finetune the overcast and fog settings in the editor, i guess in the initial screenshots i wanted the more or less subtle changes to be clearly recognizable, but i think these are representing better what the cfg could look like.

B3D5D5A71AD254327136B3ADD2CD8B3CEE8FD01E

4FE06F2E02A4FC3D287BCE2D5763D56D2BCC8DDC

98B8AF3FE3FB985C1D67996E80B7099FCC14F08B

172F5DE09CD80D8CD1457BD281A6038C8ED474DA

and by the way all i changed so far is the color palette, if id mess with the intensity of the different lighting components, it could look a lot more like classic darkish eastern european chernarus, but right now its pretty much as bright as stratis... its a bit more complex to do that, judging from the few tests i made so far with intensity. if you change one component you kind of have to change all of them to keep the balance.

I like it now its all fresh and shiny but i am also curious how a "cherno classic cfg" would turn out, might make an alternate version for cherno too?

if it wasnt for a restart after every single digit you change it would be a childsplay for mapmakers to create custom lightings for their isles... according to the fractional digits in some of the default rgb values, they where probably adjusted with a slider or something, therefore, i guess BI devs must have some kind of tool for that... if that is the case, id highly suggest to them to supply that to the cummunity mappers, so they can tickle out the full potential of the new engine!