Sign in to follow this  
rcmw

Playing Sounds From dubbing_e.pob and dubbingradio_e

Ok I had the idea of redoing the Arrowhead campaign from the point of view of maybe one solder at a time, ie on the 1st mission you select Infantry, Armour, Pilot or Special Forces and then play all the Arrowhead missions as this role.

Now when I opened up the POBs and started to have a look at them I didn’t find any sound files, after some searching I found they played them directly from the dubbing_e.pob file with a command like

class airstrip_captured_D_0
{
	text = "$STR_EP1_airstrip_captured_D_0";
	speech[] = {"\ca\dubbing_e\ce1_good_morning_takistan\Airstrip_captured\airstrip_captured_D_0.ogg"};
	class Arguments {};

}; 

Inside the dubbing e file I also found a host of unused sound files, and the dubbingradio_e has all the unit sound commands for example

dubbingradio_e\RADIO\Male01EN\DEFAULT\AreaClear.ogg

Now what I want is an easy way to get theses command to play in mission, for the possible reworked Arrowhead campaign and also because if I can get the dubbingradio_e to play you can create almost any radio message in any mission!

I have tried to get them to play using my normal class CfgRadio Definition but am unable to get it to work.

class CfgRadio
{
// List of sounds (.ogg files without the .ogg extension)
sounds[] = {up1, up2};

// Definition for each sound
class test1
{
	name = "test1"; // Name for mission editor
	sound[] = {"\ca\dubbing_e\ce1_good_morning_takistan\Airstrip_captured\airstrip_captured_L_1.ogg"};
	title = "$STR_EP1_airstrip_captured_L_1";
};};

and

class CfgRadio
{
// List of sounds (.ogg files without the .ogg extension)
sounds[] = {test1, test2};

// Definition for each sound
class test2
{
	name = "test2"; // Name for mission editor
	sound[] = {\ca\dubbing_e\ce1_good_morning_takistan\Airstrip_captured\airstrip_captured_L_1.ogg,  db + 0, 1.0};
	title = "$STR_EP1_airstrip_captured_L_1";
};};

both don’t play, I could copy the OOG files directly and use them like any other sound file but this would not help make custom messages with the dubbingradio_e, I would like to use the BAF sounds too and since I can't open the BAF POB I need a way to play them directly with a command.

If this will work you can make custom radio messages for any mission with no need for voice actors or even a download!

Any ideas on what command is needed?

How are you calling the sound files in-game? IIRC, BIS uses the .bikb (BI Knowledge Base) format for dialogue and radio stuff, so perhaps the sideRadio command doesn't work?

There's a thread stickied to this board about the new conversation system

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?91875-New-conversation-system-how-to

Also maybe see

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/kbAddTopic

Hope this helps! Sounds like a very cool idea...