Sign in to follow this  
meatball

Some N00bish Scripting Questions

Have dived into mission making and basic scripting in Arma 3 and having a blast, but have come up with a few questions and was hoping someone could assist.

1) How does one sec the mission picture that shows up when you are in the "Create Game" screen?

2) I'm using the Create Diary Record modules for Diary Entries in the briefing. Is there any way to add Carriage returns in the Description field?

3) I've created a bunch of Create Tasks/Update Task Status modules that are applied to "Groups of synchronized object" and then linked them to the player team lead. In a MP coop mission, if noone chooses the team lead, noone sees the tasks. Anyway around that? Or if not, is there any way to force it so someone has to pick the Team Lead Playable char slot?

4) Occasionally individuals from Opfor groups I've set up will run away when the group is down to one or two left. Any way to stop that?

5) I've got some Opfor vehicles set to come in from another location based on triggers. I set a move waypoint really close to the starting location and then another where I want them to move to after a trigger. I've linked the trigger to the first close waypoint and it all works fine, but I'd like the vehicles to shut down their engine and not waste the gas idling. On that first waypoint I set the "ON ACT" to veh1 engineon off; but they move up to that close move waypoint right away, but never shut the engines off. Any ideas?

6) Is there any way to turn off autogrouping of units/items in the editor by default? For the one or two times it's actually useful, there's 98 times I have to take an extra step to ungroup things.

Thanks in advance and sorry if these are answered elsewhere. My quick searches couldn't turn up anything specific.

Edited by MeatballCB

1) Mission Presentation sticky in this forum.

2)

<br />

More tags listed here.

3) Haven't used this new diary module thing yet, still using good ol' fashioned text files.

4) I think you can set their courage up via setSkill but not sure. Always assumed running if you're the last guy alive was a good thing. heh

5) Best way around this is to not even have the vehicles on the map till they are needed. You can place them down and set their waypoints so you have that, but set their Probability of Presence to 0%. Then spawn the same units when you need them and copyWaypoints to get them moving.

6) Place the new units further away and move them where you want them once on the map. The autogrouping range is rather silly. :)

3) I've created a bunch of Create Tasks/Update Task Status modules that are applied to "Groups of synchronized object" and then linked them to the player team lead. In a MP coop mission, if noone chooses the team lead, noone sees the tasks. Anyway around that? Or if not, is there any way to force it so someone has to pick the Team Lead Playable char slot?

Sync them to every player and set the them on sync objects. I was told this was the only way to do it

3) See this command allowFleeing

Thanks for all the help/feedback, great stuff!

One other quick question. Occasionally next to a waypoint I'll see a red square and that waypoint becomes a pain to deal with (can't click/drag it). This a bug, or anyone know what it is?

I haven't used waypoints for human players for years. :) A detailed briefing and markers are all you need really. Task Destinations sure, but actual waypoints, nope.

Oh, I see what you mean. That little red square shows up when you've attached the waypoint to a map item. Just gotta zoom way in over the waypoint till your mouse says MOVE or whatever then you can hit the delete key to remove then replace the waypoint. Can't move it since you can't move map objects.

So, can someone point me to some basic tutorials, etc., on how to dynamically spawn AI units/groups? I know there's some mods/scripts out there, but none of them appear to be updated for Beta, and most of the tutorials I've been finding are pointing to modules that don't appear to be in the Beta editor. Now that I've got my hands dirty, I want to try building something with a bit more randomness and dynamic spawns as opposed to static stuff I'm placing with waypoints linked to triggers.

Thanks for all the help/feedback, great stuff!

One other quick question. Occasionally next to a waypoint I'll see a red square and that waypoint becomes a pain to deal with (can't click/drag it). This a bug, or anyone know what it is?

That means that you put the waypoint just over something (a building, lamp, pile of junk or anything), and the action is associated with that waypoint. This is how you garrison a building. But if you o it by mistake it is a pain in the ass. Just delete the waypoint, place a new one nearby in an empty space, and then move it to where you want it.

Sync them to every player and set the them on sync objects. I was told this was the only way to do it

Can anyone confirm if this fix would work for my similar issue with tasks/task updates only being seen but the server host "me" and not other players in MP.

Thanks