Sign in to follow this  
sqb-sma

Very High and Ultra Texture Options missing in Arma 3 Beta

So I've been playing on Ultra textures for a while now, but since the beta the options for very high and ultra have disappeared from the menu leaving me with the highest setting being the (compartively uglier) high option.

This is a little frustrating, and while the Arma 2 troubleshooting threads suggest changing the vram setting in the config file I notice this line is not there in the Arma 3 file. Anybody figured this out/got any suggestions? I'll update this if I figure out the solution in the mean time.

Thanks for any help! :D

EDIT: Setting maxvram to 2gb+ unlocks the very high setting (to do this go to set launch options in steam/whatever you use to launch the game and add the line -maxvram=2048), ultra is still missing even if ludicrous values are inserted.

Edited by SQB-SMA

i have the same problem since today's build. i can only select "high" textures. before i could at least select "very high". problem is, i only have 1gb of vram (gtx560ti).

"very high" ran fine with 1gb vram, so i wonder why this should not be possible anymore.

i guess even if you selected very high it couldnt use it, cause the low vram. I also have a 560ti and at first i could select ultras but 3 weeks into alpha it was gone. i have only 1 gig vram so im fine, cause using too much textures was bad on my performance.

do you know if ultra / v. high does use better textures or just farer away better textures? i guess in close it doesnt matter right?

afaik the texture quality is more about better near textures and paralax mapping on the ground near you. the textures at midrange still look bad, even on ultra.

on the other hand i would have guessed, that "very high" has better midrange textures than "high". can't switch back to "very high" (see above) so i am not sure. could someone verify this?

btw: http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=4635

Edited by twistking

So I've been playing on Ultra textures for a while now, but since the beta the options for very high and ultra have disappeared from the menu leaving me with the highest setting being the (compartively uglier) high option.

This is a little frustrating, and while the Arma 2 troubleshooting threads suggest changing the vram setting in the config file I notice this line is not there in the Arma 3 file. Anybody figured this out/got any suggestions? I'll update this if I figure out the solution in the mean time.

Thanks for any help! :D

EDIT: Setting maxvram to 2gb+ unlocks the very high setting (to do this go to set launch options in steam/whatever you use to launch the game and add the line -maxvram=2048), ultra is still missing even if ludicrous values are inserted.

how much vram do you have? not like limiting options is a good way to go about it but still :p

i still have ultra textures with a 670 2gb

You are all wrong: to get ultra textures back just choose in video options: OVERALL QUALITY to ULTRA and than you can choose ultra for any option.

is there a real difference between very high and ultra? I think its a placeholder for a replacement of the blurry midrange textures.

is there a real difference between very high and ultra? I think its a placeholder for a replacement of the blurry midrange textures.

:butbut:

that would be splendid! but i read somewhere, that ultra would add additional parallax mapping to the "very high" textures. that should result in the ground near you looking a bit more bumpy. could someone clarify this.

if it was a placeholder indeed, it is a sign of good things to come, is it not?