Sign in to follow this  
Wolfstriked

When can we begin to critique vehicles??

I saw a mention of a new transmission and have no idea if its been implemented yet.I just would like to know how far along the vehicles are before we start posting and getting the responses of "its beta relax".:butbut:

Some things so far....

APC's will not ride up steep inclines.Is this intentional?I get around the map right now by riding in reverse up hills.This got me wanting a gearing system where the "low" speed gear gets you up hills and very importantly will prevent the super fast speeding up of vehicles when going downhill.

There is no heading and bearing indicators in vehicles.In general I see no people at all playing in APC's and I feel its due to just being annoying and hard to fight in.

So the question remains....how far along are the vehicles and when can we start making suggestions.....

If you have something to say, then feel free to say it. Giving feedback is what Alpha/Beta is about and whoever says "It's Alpha/Beta, relax" is forgetting that it's why it's available for public. You can find the feedback tracker here, it's the best way to leave suggestions/feedback/bug reports.

The problem is that I do not want to post 100 ideas when some can already be in the works.For example I really doubt that the armored vehicles will not include heading and bearing indicator for the scoped views so I will not post on that.Or not being able to turn out of Marid etc.I'll just wait and see....but how long to wait was why I posted this.

I figure you should start writing those 100 ideas down and get them into a meaningful, well thought out proposal and post here and the feedback tracker.

Regardless of where they are in development it is good to share ideas that could make the game better.

I think the "This is beta/alpha" mainly stems from people just spouting this thing sucks with no reason why and no ideas on how to fix. If you give the why with an idea to fix then they have to reason to say it.

ASAP! As you don't know what is a bug, WIP, overlooked or supose to be like that, better to speak now.

Been cruising around in an MV7 Marshal this morning, went uphill to the dangerzone just fine ?

Slow? Yes, but I guess that Marshal weighs in about 20 tons or more, so not much surprise for me there.

Remember to use "Shift" aka Vehicle Turbo or "E" which is the same.

If it´s a bug use the wonderful tracker.

We are now Beta.

Any and all issues should be reported in the Feedback tracker after confirmation or discussion with other players as necessary.

LOL,100 ideas is a bit of an exaggeration:rolleyes:Shift does nothing for me in Arma 3.I tried all different key combinations and there doesn't seem to be any power boost.I remember awhile back a dev asking if gears being modeled is a good idea.Be nice to at least know if it is being worked on or if its the manual transmission we have now.Gearing would really add to immersion for the tank crew and also players outside the tank as it looks and sounds realistic and its already in engine judging by reverse gear and how its powerful yet it limits speed by large amount.

It's nice that new AMV-7 top speed is similar to patria amv(which it is based on), but the slow speed on even a little steep road is... strange. If it is real then wow.... it's painfully slow, if not, then it needs to be changed asap. Btw. old faster quads were better.

I don't know if it is possible but instead of binding Q\W\E to speeds, bind them to gears (or use of them).

Q for slow, high torque. (climbing)

W for normal on\off road driving.

E for ?, dunno what could fit here.

Both APCs are still "floating", aceleration is laughable.

And while I'm at this, a GUI for turret heading is a must.

Just showing this.

keyCarGearUp[]={};

keyCarGearDwn[]={};

keyCarShiftFwd1[]={};

keyCarShiftFwd2[]={};

keyCarShiftFwd3[]={};

keyCarShiftFwd4[]={};

keyCarShiftFwd5[]={};

keyCarShiftFwd6[]={};

keyCarShiftFwd7[]={};

keyCarShiftFwd8[]={};

keyCarShiftRvs1[]={};

keyCarShiftRvs2[]={};

As said before, the best idea would be to use the feedback tracker. Don't be afraid to talk about an issue that they are actually working on, it is better to name it and be told that they got it on their list than to keep it for yourself and never get it fixed.

There are already quite a few tickets dealing with vehicles, vehicle features and movement, here are a few that are important to me:

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=4919 (vehicle movement)

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=10372 (unrealistic /useless smoke deployment)

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=9782 (missing features of RL counterpart)

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=5711 (the gearbox idea)

As said before, the best idea would be to use the feedback tracker. Don't be afraid to talk about an issue that they are actually working on, it is better to name it and be told that they got it on their list than to keep it for yourself and never get it fixed.

There are already quite a few tickets dealing with vehicles, vehicle features and movement, here are a few that are important to me:

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=4919 (vehicle movement)

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=10372 (unrealistic /useless smoke deployment)

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=9782 (missing features of RL counterpart)

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=5711 (the gearbox idea)

Great ideas,I voted for all of them.

I opened the below feedback at ALPHA and was told blah blah "Alpha" as you can see in the post and guess what happened when Beta came out?

No change, in fact no change since OFP, at least not that much in terms of traction as you can see I have been on here at least since 2003.

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=4587

If you read it I think my description best shows what the core issue is IMO.

I am giving up hope that this is being properly addressed for the full release.

I wouldn't mind it so much if BI would at least say yea we can't fix that.

The feedback tracker is always a viable option if you have any issues with gameplay mechanics.

I opened the below feedback at ALPHA and was told blah blah "Alpha" as you can see in the post and guess what happened when Beta came out?

No change, in fact no change since OFP, at least not that much in terms of traction as you can see I have been on here at least since 2003.

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=4587

If you read it I think my description best shows what the core issue is IMO.

I am giving up hope that this is being properly addressed for the full release.

I wouldn't mind it so much if BI would at least say yea we can't fix that.

Doesn't matter what you're told by other people that are not devs, your ticket stands as reviewed and it's accepted that it would be good to improve by the maintainers of the feedback tracker.

Just because there's no change, doesn't mean it's not valid, it just probably means that there are other things they're working on. There are priorities to be had.

I'm sure they'd love to make every single thing, but there is always bigger bugs and problems that need to be done before tackling non-critical issues. They're not saying they can't fix it, because I'm sure they can, but don't have time to.

Being totally honest here I think that the Zamak truck is excellent in its physics.To me its the best in A3 and also the best driving experience I have ever had in a driving game.:butbut:I know that seems far fetched but I can just get in it and feel like I am really driving a truck.Funny how I tried Euro truck simulator but never felt connected to the road but I do in the Zamak.I can follow roads with my right side tires perfectly on the edge of the road as I can in real life or dodge around trees at high speeds.Something in its steering that feels perfect to me and I wish all vehicles drove like it.The APC's are close with the Strider the furthest as that thing feels way too twitchy to be realistic.Plus the Zamak actually tips over at times that my brain says it should but still has the silly anti-tip mechanism kick in ruining the experience most of the times.

BIS you want players to get in trucks and be immersed.People love to fly in Arma3 for the reason that its hard and you can easily kill yourself or a whole squad.Make trucks the same way by allowing easy tip overs and death from hitting objects at decent speeds.Yes the vehicle may not get damaged much but injury to passengers should be a deterent to the silly flying around the mountains that happens in MP.

The Zamak can go up steep inclines and very importantly it also has a great balance in power between forward and reverse speeds.This is important as it allows you more control going downhills.By applying both W+S as you are traveling down hills the reverse speed is just slightly stronger and has variable effects on slowdown dependent on the hills angle you are traversing.It makes for a very realistic feel compared to the tapping of S in other vehicles that has u flying then skidding etc.And the vehicles that you have to use reverse(S) as only way to go up steep inclines then of course brake too hard when going downhill and applying W+S as the reverse power is too high compared to the W power.Just a lack of control feel that the Zamak has.

All is not perfect though.At times pressing S will cause a nice realistic slowdown of the truck but at random times pressing S will cause the truck to come to a screeching halt.Or going downhill and at a certain speed the brakes lock up the wheels for some odd reason.

Absolutely loving what I see in this showcase. I would not expect vehicles and surface being simulated to this kind of level in A3 but this should be good benchmark for how vehicles should handle

(Demo available for download in video description)

It's nice that new AMV-7 top speed is similar to patria amv(which it is based on), but the slow speed on even a little steep road is... strange. If it is real then wow.... it's painfully slow, if not, then it needs to be changed asap. Btw. old faster quads were better.

The AMV is pretty slow, but indeed not THAT slow, overall climbing abilities are pretty close to the real thing as it is now, but driving uphill on a road needs to be improved for sure.

Absolutely loving what I see in this showcase. I would not expect vehicles and surface being simulated to this kind of level in A3 but this should be good benchmark for how vehicles should handle

(Demo available for download in video description)

That sound....

Really need a turret position indicator in the driving position also.While I love the realism when your turret is sideways and clips trees its terrible when it keeps happening and sends the vehicle flying off in various directions.That and some backwards view when backing.The PIP function would work and can pop up only when in reverse.IMO it could even fill the whole viewable area that the forward driving view covers....in effect making it not PIP anymore for better fps and immersion.

Last night I was flying down this road and spot some AT soldiers ahead slightly off the road.I figured to just gun it thinking that they would not have time to get AT out and fire and that I could make the turn before they got one off.Right when I was about to start turning though I get hit,which blows out my rear right side tire and causes this massive swerve to the right which sends me careening downhill at high speeds into a wooded area.After I hit a few trees and came to rest I just sat there and thought WOW that was some intense shit!! Love this game!

That and some backwards view when backing.The PIP function would work and can pop up only when in reverse.IMO it could even fill the whole viewable area that the forward driving view covers....in effect making it not PIP anymore for better fps and immersion.

IRL the AMV is equipped with a reverse camera and a screen for the driver, the screen has painted on markings for distance and lines where the wheels are gonna go when reversing in a straight line, it's actually essential when reversing, even when driving from the upper position with the hatch open as the mirrors are a mere joke.

Care to make a ticket about it?

IRL the AMV is equipped with a reverse camera and a screen for the driver, the screen has painted on markings for distance and lines where the wheels are gonna go when reversing in a straight line, it's actually essential when reversing, even when driving from the upper position with the hatch open as the mirrors are a mere joke.

Care to make a ticket about it?

I know of the lines you speak of and agree they really do help with depth perception and would really flesh out the rear view look.The more I think about it I actually think its better to not use PIP but to just change the view and have the image showing the rear of the vehicle when you press S.PIP is just not there yet and its hard to drive backwards with it in game IMO.The lines you speak about would be perfect to relay to player they are looking at rear camera.That said I guess I dont think its necessary when turned out.It would have to be PIP and I just don't feel its worthwhile.

Also I did make a ticket.:)

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=10693

How much of vehicles have "turn" function? I mean, that some vehicles have "commander" hatch but he is not working now. Maybe, we need to make ticket about this? I understand how this important for serios modes (without third view).

Any vehicle with a hatch will most likely have the turn in function.Commander position would be welcome.Its one more set of eyes that is needed to take command of the fights.

Commander scans areas that gunner is not firing on to watch the rear for AT and also controls the driver

Gunner scans areas using first thermal to spot,check with other modes depending on light conditions to make certain its enemy and choose proper weapon before firing.

Driver needs to follow direction well.

These 3 roles in 1st person mode make for engaging gameplay.Surprisingly people playing in vehicles is on the up-rise.Last night I had quite a few people jump into the gunner position of my APC and I jumped in to gunner position of some APC's as well. Though its very fun it was an uncoordinated mess.Being a driver and seeing soldiers in front of you and telling the gunner who when you check in 3rd person is scanning the rear area of vehicle.The fact that turret positions are not known when in 1st person makes this hard.Armored vehicle combat is actually the most team based gameplay you can experience in Arma3 IMO and can be very tense as you have ALOT more to do than just find cover and pop off shots.