Sign in to follow this  
vps304

low fps with 7970

when I'm playing Weapon 3 (Ultra) the fps are the average of 30 or 20, especially in multiplayer my setup:

RADEON HD 7970

i5 3470

8 GB RAM

Is this normal?Arma 3 is still in beta but will release some patch to resolve this?

Sorry for bad english.

7970 and i5... 20-30 fps on Ultra settings? Sounds reasonable.

If you are playing on unmodified Ultra settings you can do a lot of tweaking though!

Visibility 1600, 1300 and 100 instead of anything super high should make a big difference and FSAA x2 instead of x4 or x8 should too. Now you should run well.

i got a 5870 and regardless of what setting i used (with the exception being view distance) my FPS changes by 2-3 at most. i am currently getting 14 fps on the beta build when i was getting 30-40fps in the pre-beta DEV build.. WTF!

CPU Phanom II X4 940 black edition @ 3.2ghz

4gig OCZ platinum ram

i don't know what they changed from the DEV pre-beta to the current build... but i want that version back!

AMD cards don't do antialising well, so turn that down, if its at x16, try x4, if its x8 try x2 etc.

akso make sure you have the latest stable drivers

Well, let's start with what view distance are you trying to use?

I'm running a 7970 with an i7 and 16Gb RAM getting a stable 40+ frames.

Few things to do:

-As always, Make sure you're running the latest drivers for your card

-Turn down Anti-aliasing (2x or 4x is enough)

-Turn down your view distance (This will take tweaking to meet a good view > Good FPS ratio)

If you're still not getting good frames you may need to optimize settings in the CCC (Catalyst Control Center) such as:

"Performance - Quality" sliders, Ensuring the program controls how AA is dealt with rather than CCC.

If all that fails you may be able to squeeze some extra frames with a slight overclock (There are dozens of guides for this) and don't forget to turn the fan speed up.

Try something like view distance 2000, object distance max 1700, anti-aliasing x2 or off, object quality standard. SMAA or FXAA and antistropic filtering you can max without worries. Then just tweak and test other options to see how far you can go and increase object quality if wanted. There's that one option in post processing side that eats a huge amount of fps so turning that off can give you easy 20fps increase. I just don't remember what effect it was but it's maybe SSAO.

When you are looking at your fps, don't do it in multiplayer (at least not on a mission with a lot of players and AI), sometimes low fps can be caused by the server or the mission itself.

With my 7970GE, I have my FSAA at 4x and don't forget to disable your vsync and ATOC!

when I'm playing Weapon 3 (Ultra) the fps are the average of 30 or 20, especially in multiplayer my setup:

RADEON HD 7970

i5 3470

8 GB RAM

Is this normal?Arma 3 is still in beta but will release some patch to resolve this?

Sorry for bad english.

Hi,

I hate to admit (bitterly) but it is not your configuration to have problems ..... but it is very different.

I have 140 FPS in singleplayer instead in multy 50 \ 45 ...... do not add more.

When you are looking at your fps, don't do it in multiplayer (at least not on a mission with a lot of players and AI), sometimes low fps can be caused by the server or the mission itself.

With my 7970GE, I have my FSAA at 4x and don't forget to disable your vsync and ATOC!

Vsync only limits your fps to 60. I don't think it has any big impact on framerate otherwise.

ATOC has extremely small or no performance impact for me.

What I mentioned: View distance and FSAA are the big baddies. Depth of field too. Anisotropic has the least impact.

If you really want good performance with almost no visual difference from Ultra set all everything to standard except for textures to very high, object quality to high, terrain quality to high, shadows to high, depth of field off then balance your FSAA.

Many settings can be turned from the lowest enabled setting to the highest with no noticeable performance decrease such as anisotropic filtering but also doesn’t make a visual difference so you may as well keep them low in case they do decrease the fps by 1 fps each.

atoc and fsaa kills performance on mine 7970@1150/1700mhz

playing 2x msaa/fsaa compined with fxaa ultra and atoc off, rest ultra and runs fine at 1080p.

even in the forests still over 60fps.

7970 is backed up by core i7 2700k at 4,4ghz and ht off.

Vsync only limits your fps to 60. I don't think it has any big impact on framerate otherwise.

ATOC has extremely small or no performance impact for me.

What I mentioned: View distance and FSAA are the big baddies. Depth of field too. Anisotropic has the least impact.

If you really want good performance with almost no visual difference from Ultra set all everything to standard except for textures to very high, object quality to high, terrain quality to high, shadows to high, depth of field off then balance your FSAA.

Many settings can be turned from the lowest enabled setting to the highest with no noticeable performance decrease such as anisotropic filtering but also doesn’t make a visual difference so you may as well keep them low in case they do decrease the fps by 1 fps each.

FPS limiter limits FPS.

Vertical synchronization does a lot more than an FPS limiter. In most software the v-sync locks your FPS to a limit, which is dividable by the refresh rate of your screen so the result is an integer. It limits to the highest integer sustainable. So if you dip below 60 fps, your V-sync limits it to 30. If you go below 30 fps, your V-sync limits it to 15. This is called double-buffered v-sync.

Dynamo;2425383']i got a 5870 and regardless of what setting i used (with the exception being view distance) my FPS changes by 2-3 at most. i am currently getting 14 fps on the beta build when i was getting 30-40fps in the pre-beta DEV build.. WTF!

CPU Phanom II X4 940 black edition @ 3.2ghz

4gig OCZ platinum ram

i don't know what they changed from the DEV pre-beta to the current build... but i want that version back!

Updating from the Alpha to the Beta caused my settings to change, have you checked to see if this is the case?

Also I heard that multiplayer FPS is locked to 50 - So you won't get anything higher in MP

i5 2500k

8gb mem

Geforce 580's in SLI

getting 20-30 frames a sec with everything on low minus view distance. what am i doing wrong here? I was under the impression SLI 580's are still pretty decent.

thanks guys, this really helped a lot, I lowered the AA to 4x, I set my field of vision for 1650 and 1150 for the objects, I'm having a pretty average frame, but only in single palyer in multiplayer frames fall by half , any other tips?

thanks guys, this really helped a lot, I lowered the AA to 4x, I set my field of vision for 1650 and 1150 for the objects, I'm having a pretty average frame, but only in single palyer in multiplayer frames fall by half , any other tips?

Hi,

the Linux version when it comes out, and they will use this server OS, will give us the best moments .... provided that they are properly configured.

For the moment I see no alternative ..... maybe pray :)...... to find good Server, configured, and with decent hardware.:cool:

Not much to do about multiplayer right now. Will most likely get better in time.

i5 2500k

8gb mem

Geforce 580's in SLI

getting 20-30 frames a sec with everything on low minus view distance. what am i doing wrong here? I was under the impression SLI 580's are still pretty decent.

SLI isn't supported yet so test without it. One 580 can run this game nicely because I've 560 Ti and 2600K and I got pretty good fps.

Also I heard that multiplayer FPS is locked to 50 - So you won't get anything higher in MP

This is why we can't have nice things.

This is not the case.

All our rigs (5) all but one run 2 -3 7970's. And our slowest runs 2 6970's and the rest of our 7970 machines are all Tri CF'ed and only get maybe a 20% boost oh and all are 2-3gb cards running with i7's 960-990x with 32-64GB ram. So I agree ARMA 3 is capped and you numbers seem about right with a single card, tho Im using a 6970 as an example as Im to busy to test stuff. I get about the same about 25 to high 30's range when running just one 6970 card and I would guess 15-20% if I ran a single 7970 but sorry no time I use this PC for my emails and work stuff and it has all my old games on it, including ARMA 2 with my tons of mods. ;). BTW CPU and ram makes a diff as well. Imo just stick another card in. But I think your i5 is the bottleneck for you.

With our slowest PC dual 6970's with everything maxed except view distance and running at 1920x1080. Oh and be aware this rig is running an i7 960 at 3.2 with 32GB ram and both are 2gb cards.

arma32013030519415589.jpg

Edited by zipgun

will arma 3 support SLI at some stage? I am looking for a SLI setup at the moment

will arma 3 support SLI at some stage? I am looking for a SLI setup at the moment

IMHO I think SLI is great if you have 2-3 year old card and pick up another one for less than a hundred to give you maybe %50 more FPS but on the whole i would just save up for a more robust single card.