Sign in to follow this  
yamajin82

helicopter insertion for dive team help

Hello, I am trying to make a mission where a dive team is being inserted into the water from about 5 meters. I've tried putting an invisible helipad on the water and the one time that it worked the heli went too low and sunk. Every other time the heli goes off to the beach and unloads there. Any suggestions on how to go about getting them to drop into the water where I want them to? Thanks, I'm just getting into the editor so I don't know much yet.

What you could do is have the waypoint where you want your divers dropped, and say, 100 meters before that have a waypoint with unitname FlyInHeight 5; in the on act section. That will make the the unit fly at 5 meters when it passes the first waypoint.

What I would do with the second waypoint is unitname FlyInHeight 30; in the act, and put a countdown of 20 seconds by adding 20 to the min mid max fields and making sure countdown is clicked instead of timeout.

That would get the chopper to fly 100 meters from the drop point, get down to 5 meters then fly to the drop point, wait for 20 seconds, then fly to your next waypoint at an altitude of 30 meters.

Instead of the countdown you could set up a trigger and sync it to the drop point.

Make sure to name the helicopter something, and use its name instead of unitname.

Thanks, I'm looking for something that will automatically boot the dive team out so it can be played SP and MP, the trigger idea is along the lines of what I was thinking. What kind of trigger do I need to set up?

There is already a mission like this, for help, go to armaholic.com and look for "Helocasting"

I tried the helocasting example but it won't load since the class names have changed

I tried the helocasting example but it won't load since the class names have changed

There's also a program on armaholic.com that converts alpha missions to beta missions. Just search for Alpha to Beta Mission Conversion you should find it, if not let me know and I'll help

oh, looks like the invisible helipad is working. Now I have a similar problem getting the ai to get out of boats in the water rather than going to a coast. Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks

that would be fantastic if you or somebody could direct me to it!

You need to tell the units to eject not get out. You set the flyinheight to what you want (test it too, because they don't always flyinheight you think they are). Set a trigger so that when you get there, the units eject. But the BAD thing is bi disabled ejecting from helicopters. But a trigger might override it. I've tried the flyinheight at 20 but when switching to pilot I see the altitude at 30. It might be fixed now but try it. You can select the height of the helipad. However, they shoot for the pad but if there is no ground below it, the heli will continue straight down until it touches ground. Also make the helicopter go to limited speed when it gets close or else they might overrun the area.

I got the helocasting figured out well enough. I still have to command my ai teammates to disembark but I plan on making it a co-op mission anyway. I also got the boats to unload using int "eject", which is great but as soon as the ai are out of the boats they try to get right back in. I think one way to get around this would be to set the speed of the boat at a constant, hopefully moving on with no regard to the ai's desire to get back in. Anyone know the command for a boat keeping a constant speed?