Sign in to follow this  
tortuosit

STALKER - CoP - Misery Mod, anyone played it?

Just realized there is the Misery Mod for STALKER Pripyat available http://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-misery , or available soon... Seems like I have to install it again, what I saw on Youtube looks amazing. O-M-G! Anyone having played this?

Yes I have. Best mod for CoP imo and version 2.0 is going to be even better.

Just realized there is the Misery Mod for STALKER Pripyat available http://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-misery , or available soon... Seems like I have to install it again, what I saw on Youtube looks amazing. O-M-G! Anyone having played this?
Moved to the OFFTOPIC - Games & Gaming section, please post in the correct section :)

Release for 2.0: July 2013 :yay:

I only heard good things about the first version, making the game more difficult, realistic and turned it into a survivor thing. As I just had finished CoP, didn't try it but may give it a go now.

I only heard good things about the first version, making the game more difficult, realistic and turned it into a survivor thing. As I just had finished CoP, didn't try it but may give it a go now.

Not sure if you mean giving v1.0 a try or 2.0. If you want to play it I would recommend to wait until 2.0 is out since it is vastly superior to 1.0 and you cannot play saved games from 1.0 in 2.0 (can't for 1.0 vs patched 1.0 either).

2.0 since it is on the works for a while now. You still will have to define your class when installing the mod?

I only have played Stalker SoC with the mod LURK 1.1. It was awesome, more fun than the complete mod version it seem, firefights were more intense and difficult, cqb was spectacular

I also played Fallout 3 with FWE - FO3 Wanderers Edition and 20th century weapons modified for it, it was very difficult too, almost impossible on some parts without proper equipment (mostly because you couldn't find proper ammo for your gun using 20th century weapons in the first part of the game). If you haven't played Fallout 3, and want to try it, I strongly recommend both those mods (and a par more, in Nexus you can get a good guide of what mods are good), since it becomes more survival than vanilla Fallout 3 (which was far easier)

2.0 since it is on the works for a while now. You still will have to define your class when installing the mod?

Yep. Sniper, Recon or Assault chosen when installing though I believe a developer said a while back that it is possible to change class after installing if you want to start a new game without reinstalling by moving some files/folders in the gamedata directory. Each class will now have it's own entry point in the zone. I played 1.0 as a sniper. Might go for recon this time since it fits better into the gameplay of Misery and CoP in general. Once you've fired the first shot they'll know where you are anyway and there aren't enough elevated positions for snipers imo. That class would fit better in SoC.

On a side note: The copy protection sucks so hard. I have to insert the DVD always, as it does not work with a mounted ISO image. Also it does not start while process explorer is running, WTF.

The most recent and evil virus plague I got (of course installed clean OS then) I received from some software in the Stalker domain. Probably it was a no-dvd patch. Or maybe some Mod, I don't know.

On a side note: The copy protection sucks so hard. I have to insert the DVD always, as it does not work with a mounted ISO image. Also it does not start while process explorer is running, WTF.

The most recent and evil virus plague I got (of course installed clean OS then) I received from some software in the Stalker domain. Probably it was a no-dvd patch. Or maybe some Mod, I don't know.

Get the steam version, runs very stable, and it´s often on discounts :)

Yeah, I was thinking about buying also the SoC and the 2nd Stalker game..., only I am not sure if I will have problems with installing the major mods. And in case of Pripyat, with the misery mod...

I´ve been using "complete mod" on both my SoC & CoP Steam installs with no problems at all.

I´ve been using "complete mod" on both my SoC & CoP Steam installs with no problems at all.

Same.

Matter of fact, I'm downloading SoC right now because it is awesome.

Same.

Matter of fact, I'm downloading SoC right now because it is awesome.

I downloaded the Steam SoC now, but:

zwischenablage-1j7sfx.png

Will I need to work with NTFS hard/softlinks?

EDIT: Never mind, there is a manual installation version of the mod :)

Edited by tortuosit

Just for the folks that doesn't know about the overhaul mods of SoC, Complete edition is like a graphical overhaul, but with minimal gameplay changes (it's more a bugfix than gameplay changes), also it's good to get the original feel of the game.

LURK is another mod that changes the gameplay and the gun statistics (and also adds some), the HUD, etc, so it becomes more tense at times, and also it has a graphical overhaul oriented in a very different way than the Complete edition (I tried both).

Then there is Oblivion Lost, a mod that adds a ludicrous amount of weapons and changes, it's good but you should play it after playing vanilla, or Complete, or LURK. I recommend those three if you are looking for a change.

I haven' played SoC completely yet and I started with the complete mod now. I think it's alright to start with that one. LURK has so much bloom, my eyes were bleeding, I think I could have removed it with its config file, but I was too lazy and decided to go for Complete 2009.

Saw that video. Their promo material is like the most anti-hype ever. Virtually no gameplay footage or screenshots :p

Misery is great. Too bad mine decided to start crashing suddenly. Used to work just fine.

Still never played any of these or the Fallout series. Which one would be recommended for most satisfying CQB firefights, AI smartly using cover, feel of gun, ballistics etc?

Still never played any of these or the Fallout series. Which one would be recommended for most satisfying CQB firefights, AI smartly using cover, feel of gun, ballistics etc?

Definitely STALKER. Fallout 3 & NV are RPGs at heart, not shooters. However, I don't recall how good the enemies are in STALKER at taking cover.

However, I don't recall how good the enemies are in STALKER at taking cover.

Depends, there´s epic shootouts in it if your character has a bad habit of starting fights with whole groups of anything.

In large numbers they react quite okay, when i took over the central bandit post in CoP Skadovsk they properly evaded grenades and hid behind cover.

AI´s in stalker have a sense of self preservation, somethings that you don´t know from the ArmA series.

Indoor tactics isn´t their strenght though.

Wait in a doorway, pump guy full of Kozlize, reload, wait for second guy ... etc. - when really all they had to do was lobbing one grenade inside to root me out.

edit: (they actually threw grenades at me, it´s not that they didn´t tried, it´s just that they all failed hitting the right room :D)

Edited by Mr Burns

Haven't played Misery since its early days.

I'm actually more interested in an update to L.U.R.K, though that may be a ways off yet.

Its for the original S.T.A.L.K.E.R - Shadow of Chernobyl.

Was reading the RPS comment section on that article about Misery and some people there said that some russian mods are even better than Misery (in some aspects). The problem is to install and configure everything because the latest versions are in russian and because mods in STALKER are a mess. It is "People Soup's" or something like that.