Sign in to follow this  
Ex-RoNiN

"i saved hitler's life..."

The First World War was in its last hours, millions of soldiers on both sides were dead and those who fought on knew the end was near, as did English Private Henry Tandey who served with the Duke of Wellington's Regiment.

In September of 1918, on the French battlefield of Marcoing, he won the Victoria Cross for bravery, one of many medals the 27 year old would win during the 'war to end all wars.' As the battle of Marcoing raged, Allied and German forces engaged in bitter hand to hand combat. The defining moment for Private Tandey and world history came when a wounded German limped directly into his line of fire.

"I took aim but couldn't shoot a wounded man," said Tandey, "so I let him go." Years later he discovered he had spared an Austrian Corporal named Adolf Hitler.

Hitler himself never forgot that pivotal moment or the man who had spared him. On becoming German Chancellor in 1933, he ordered his staff to track down Tandey's service records. They also managed to obtain a print of an Italian painting showing Tandey carrying a wounded Allied soldier on his back, which Hitler hung with pride on the wall at his mountain top retreat at Berchtesgaden. He showed the print to British Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain during his historic visit in 1938 and explained its special significance.

The Führer seized that occasion to have his personal gratitude relayed to Tandey, which Chamberlain conveyed via telephone on his return to London from that most fateful trip.

Henry Tandey left military service before the start of World War II and worked as a security guard in Coventry. His "good deed" haunted him for the rest of his life, especially as Nazi bombers destroyed Coventry in 1940 and London burned day and night during the Blitz.

"If only I had known what he would turn out to be. When I saw all the people, woman and children, he had killed and wounded I was sorry to God I let him go," he said before his death in 1977 at age 86.

-----------------------------------------------------------

TANDEY, Henry

Private, 5th Bn., The Duke of Wellington's (West Riding) Regiment, British Army Campaign First World War

Age 27

Nationality: English

Deed: On 28 September 1918 at Marcoing, France, during the counter-attack after the capture of the village and crossings, when Private Tandey's platoon was held up by machine-gun fire, he crawled forward, located the gun and with a Lewis gun team, knocked it out. Arriving at the crossings, he restored the plank bridge under a hail of bullets. Later in the evening, during an attack he, with eight comrades, was surrounded by an overwhelming number of the enemy. Although the position seemed hopeless, he led a bayonet charge, fighting so fiercely that 37 of the enemy were driven into the hands of the remainder of the company.

Other Decorations DCM, MM

VC Publicly Displayed Green Howards Museum (Richmond, Yorkshire, England)

Remarks Later achieved rank of Sergeant.

----------------------------------------------------------

Kudos to MYB of the OcUK forums for digging that up smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">These stories always makes me think too much about effects of events.<span id='postcolor'>

And too much thinking makes you lose even more hair? tounge.gif

It's always interesting to think what would have happened if A.Hitler

would have died in WWI.

Probably some kind of war would have taken place in Europe, but

maybe there wouldn't be a pile of 55 million bodies. confused.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LauryThorn @ July 31 2002,14:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It's always interesting to think what would have happened if A.Hitler

would have died in WWI.<span id='postcolor'>

I wouldn't be here if he would've died in WWI. sad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I wouldn't be here if he would've died in WWI. sad.gif<span id='postcolor'>

SCANDAL!!:

Our moderator is the grandson of Adolf!!

(did i read correctly from between the lines?)

tounge.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Nah.... nobody should try to change the history, yes I know that Hitler was bad and killed millions of people, but without him who knows what the world would've turned into.

pray.gifhappystalin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (R. Gerschwarzenge @ July 31 2002,13:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LauryThorn @ July 31 2002,14:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It's always interesting to think what would have happened if A.Hitler

I wouldn't be here if he would've died in WWI. sad.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Could you elaborate on that?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LauryThorn @ July 31 2002,14:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">SCANDAL!!:

Our moderator is the grandson of Adolf!!

(did i read correctly from between the lines?)

tounge.gif  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

LOL biggrin.gif

Umh... Not quite. tounge.gif But we can never be too sure; it's a small world we're living in. smile.gif

The moral of the story is that don't help your fellow man because he might be the next Hitler smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ July 31 2002,13:37)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The moral of the story is that don't help your fellow man because he might be the next Hitler smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Kill everyone in sight!!!! tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ July 31 2002,14:31)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (R. Gerschwarzenge @ July 31 2002,13:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LauryThorn @ July 31 2002,14:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It's always interesting to think what would have happened if A.Hitler

I wouldn't be here if he would've died in WWI. sad.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Could you elaborate on that?<span id='postcolor'>

Just think how much his death in WWI would've changed the course of history. I wish I could find the whole story about time travel and it's effects but I only found a small description of it.

"It is science fiction, about sometime in the 21st century, when scientists had discovered the secret of time travel. The story was about a place in New York City where you could go on safari by time travel. You would pay some great amount of money and with a guide and a few other men, step into the time machine. In this particular safari, the men traveled back a million years, to hunt dinosaurs. The guide would take them back to a time and place where he had previously found dinosaur that was about to die because of some disaster, like walking into quicksand. The time machine would deposit the men at the site, on an electronic beam that hovered above the ground. They were told to not step off the beam, but to shoot when given the signal, then return to the time machine.

On this particular trip, one of the hunters steps off the beam to get a better shot, then jumps back. On entering the time machine for the trip back, they notice the fellow who’d left the beam had stepped on a butterfly, which was crushed on his heel. When they get back to NYC and step out into it, they notice something funny. People around them are talking English, but instead of with a New York accent, there is a trace of a Dutch accent. Also, one of them notices that the man who had been elected mayor the day before they departed was not the mayor. He’d lost by a narrow margin to the fellow he defeated."

The story is fun to read but I dont trust its authenticity! I have never heard of that story, I knew he was wounded but thats about all. I read your story in german but it still sounds a little too sensational to be true, dont you think

Hitler haette tot sein koennen

Hitlers life 24 chapters

But tandy did exist: 1.65m and 55kg, if this story would/is true that guy could have saved 65 million people. But eh, next time you see a german, dont shoot him okay!

histkonj.jpg

biggrin.gif

Well, the stories from both the English article and from the Berliner Zeitung are pretty much identical regarding certain details, so I don't think its a fake.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Albert Schweizer @ July 31 2002,13:53)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">But eh, next time you see a german, dont shoot him okay!<span id='postcolor'>

Only if it's you Albert wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Albert Schweizer @ July 31 2002,13:53)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">But tandy did exist: 1.65m and 55kg, if this story would/is true that guy could have saved 65 million people. But eh, next time you see a german, dont shoot him okay!<span id='postcolor'>

Someone wasn't paying attention mad.gif

The following is an excerpt of the website that lists all the people that managed to get a Victoria Cross:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">TANDEY, Henry

Private, 5th Bn., The Duke of Wellington's (West Riding) Regiment, British Army Campaign First World War

Age 27

Nationality: English

Deed: On 28 September 1918 at Marcoing, France, during the counter-attack after the capture of the village and crossings, when Private Tandey's platoon was held up by machine-gun fire, he crawled forward, located the gun and with a Lewis gun team, knocked it out. Arriving at the crossings, he restored the plank bridge under a hail of bullets. Later in the evening, during an attack he, with eight comrades, was surrounded by an overwhelming number of the enemy. Although the position seemed hopeless, he led a bayonet charge, fighting so fiercely that 37 of the enemy were driven into the hands of the remainder of the company.

Other Decorations DCM, MM

VC Publicly Displayed Green Howards Museum (Richmond, Yorkshire, England)

Remarks Later achieved rank of Sergeant<span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Antichrist @ July 31 2002,13:38)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ July 31 2002,13:37)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The moral of the story is that don't help your fellow man because he might be the next Hitler smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Kill everyone in sight!!!!  tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

That brings us to the next level: How many future Hitlers did Hitler prevent from existing by starting WW2?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ July 31 2002,14:18)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Antichrist @ July 31 2002,13:38)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ July 31 2002,13:37)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The moral of the story is that don't help your fellow man because he might be the next Hitler smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Kill everyone in sight!!!!  tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

That brings us to the next level: How many future Hitlers did Hitler prevent from existing by starting WW2?<span id='postcolor'>

Or "By bombing the crap out of afghanistan isnt the US protecting us from a future afghani ABBA remake which would annoy us greatly" biggrin.gif

And if Hitler had died in WWI, who would have stemmed the tide of Stalin's armies?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Oligo @ July 31 2002,14:31)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">And if Hitler had died in WWI, who would have stemmed the tide of Stalin's armies?<span id='postcolor'>

sinatra-frank-portrait-4900049.jpg

Frank Sinatra, who else?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ex-RoNiN @ July 31 2002,14:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Someone wasn't paying attention mad.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Hey, I was paying attention. I said that the guy existed!  smile.gif

No, historical scientists are pretty much sure that worldwar2 would have also started without Hitler, the opression and economical situation of germany was too intense so a National party and breaking the treaty of Versaille was definetly the next step. The jews would have been forced to emigrate but a holocaust without Hitler, I dont think so!

What would have been if Hitler would have won. Less rain in autumn 1941 would have enabled the attack of Moskow. Russia being in German hands Roosevelt would have never been able to make his people support a war against the Nazi-empire

Which communists? If Germany would have had a little more success in WW1 than Lenin would have stayed in Zurich waiting for capitalism to fail and never gone to Russia!   biggrin.gif

Moderators: Denoir is threatening me!  biggrin.gif

bicon_009.gif

People may disagree but imho the second world war was one of the greatest things ever to happen to the world, think how far back we'd be technologically without it, and also, i doubt most european countries would be friends without it. It's also an interesting piece of history, something that the entire world can look back on and try to prevent happening again. The A-Bomb was also a product of WW2 - the A-bomb is good because it effectivly ends the threat of wars between the world most powerful nations. We wouldn't have Nuclear power, engineering and mass production no doubt benefitted as well, plus everyone in the world can now look at the church as the extorting, immoral cunts they have always been.

I mean, millions upon millions of people died, but there are still many benefits WW2 brought to the world, i'm glad Hitler wasn't shot in WW1

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ruud van Nistelrooy @ July 31 2002,14:55)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">People may disagree but imho the second world war was one of the greatest things ever to happen to the world, think how far back we'd be technologically without it, and also, i doubt most european countries would be friends without it. It's also an interesting piece of history, something that the entire world can look back on and try to prevent happening again. The A-Bomb was also a product of WW2 - the A-bomb is good because it effectivly ends the threat of wars between the world most powerful nations. We wouldn't have Nuclear power, engineering and mass production no doubt benefitted as well, plus everyone in the world can now look at the church as the extorting, immoral cunts they have always been.

I mean, millions upon millions of people died, but there are still many benefits WW2 brought to the world, i'm glad Hitler wasn't shot in WW1<span id='postcolor'>

It wasn't a good thing with terrible side effects; It was a terrible thing with good side effects.

It's evolution BABY.

It's not the greatest thing, it's a part of our maturing... just like crashing your dads car might have been.

Although I think USA is ignoring that we already had WW2 and don't need WW3.