Sign in to follow this  
oukej

Firing Drills - Challenge!

Honestly this does highlite how unfluid the movements are in some of the transitions.

It's not intended to showcase behaviors that are far from perfect in ARMA ;) But on the other hand - we know about it and we have to face it instead of hiding it (it affects player elsewhere anyway), gather feedback, prioritize and try our best to improve it.

Green is broken now as the pistol is .45 but all the ammo is 9mm. I feel foolish for bringing the wrong crackers and am too scared to tell the rangemaster:j:

No worries, rangemaster is already aware of the whole situation and the correct ammo for the re-caliber-ed gun should be on the way. Btw, ssh, I was told the guys from logistics center are already cleaning the field toilets all across Altis.

00:53.259 in the red course. Now, this was a tricky one, especially since it took me several hours and many attempts to realize: you're given two weapons, but you don't necessarily have to use both of them. You guys wouldn't believe how long it took me to notice that... haha, well played!

Plus, there's this door that kept opening by itself, standing there, between myself and one of the last targets :icon_lol:

And I wanted to continue not using the crosshair, as stubborn as I am. Well, here it is:

7uh-QidPtz0

(still uploading the video, as of now)

00:53.259 in the red course. Now, this was a tricky one, especially since it took me several hours and many attempts to realize: you're given two weapons, but you don't necessarily have to use both of them. You guys wouldn't believe how long it took me to notice that... haha, well played!

Plus, there's this door that kept opening by itself, standing there, between myself and one of the last targets :icon_lol:

And I wanted to continue not using the crosshair, as stubborn as I am. Well, here it is:

7uh-QidPtz0

(still uploading the video, as of now)

Aye, red is a bastard.

Always make sure you're only using the weapons you need and the biggest magazines available.

Also the bridge zones are completely damn unreliable. If someone could point me to exactly where I'm supposed to stand not to get a penalty my retries would decrease by a lot.

Sometimes I fall off too because of the unchangeable speed when changing stances.

And yes, them rebellious doors occasionally open.

Aye, red is a bastard.

Always make sure you're only using the weapons you need and the biggest magazines available.

Also the bridge zones are completely damn unreliable. If someone could point me to exactly where I'm supposed to stand not to get a penalty my retries would decrease by a lot.

Sometimes I fall off too because of the unchangeable speed when changing stances.

I found out where you need to stand... if you take your self off the board :). Nah, just make sure your body is between the pillars, and as close to the wooden wall as possible.

I had this happen to me this evening. It was a snake had opened the door, he was on the floor inside.

No worries, rangemaster is already aware of the whole situation and the correct ammo for the re-caliber-ed gun should be on the way. Btw, ssh, I was told the guys from logistics center are already cleaning the field toilets all across Altis.

Saw that this morning. Too bad it couldn't be fixed before the weekend... :p

Anyway is there a way to stop the drill from launching itself after you've been teleported back to the starting position? It's really annoying right now as you don't have time to replenish your ammo and end up wasting a run with near empty magazines.

It would also be very nice if you could open a menu, very much like the Armory in ArmaII, to select any weapon you want. I definitely would like to train on the drills using the RH Pistol pack and Christian.1987's Mp7. Do you guys have plans for that?

Edited by dunedain

Oh, right. In case I didn't mention before the drill starting automatically is reaaally annoying.

Quick-starting is great though. If you stock up properly you can carry about 9 spare mags which means at least 9 retries, probably many more.

5 minute courses, <100 meter standing shooting, a course where the targets are random every time, crouching or prone targets, more weapon choices and targets that you have to shoot quicker would be some requests though there’s naturally no limits to what crazy training scenarios there could be. Some training for moving through urban areas with windows in all direction would also be nice. Not to mention a regular shooting range where you can test any weapon at a range of targets.

Also personally I would design the courses so the end is close to the beginning. Walking would be a bit more immersive than teleporting considering we have to restock manually anyways. After a few hours at the range the sun really changes in some of the courses.

By the way did I mention Blue course sometimes starts off in the middle of night? It’s pretty darn difficult. Not sure if a bug or sort of an Easter egg. Some night courses would be pretty cool too as long as players resist the urge to increase their brightness settings.

i kinda feel weird, the first challange for me is the hardest, i beat 2 others, but can't beat the so to say easiest lol

7uh-QidPtz0

Just saw the video now. Just perfect with the leaning! I have to say I do 33, 43 and 1:00 a bit quicker. One big difference is while I started by sloppyfiring all the time now I aim down the sights all the time. Both are good to master though.

And I REALLY gotta learn how to do the bridge :(

I think the only way to get a better time is to move and shoot at the same time more.

i kinda feel weird, the first challange for me is the hardest, i beat 2 others, but can't beat the so to say easiest lol

Green has one pretty hard semi-hidden target early on and the ending 4 are epic shit but so nice when you get them all.

Edit: OH! 1st/3rd person replays would be a stunning feature.

Edited by Sneakson

Green has one pretty hard semi-hidden target early on and the ending 4 are epic shit but so nice when you get them all.

i duno, it was build so dynamicaly, so i do fail everytime to be quite to get gold achivment, unlike blue sniping range is quite linar and simple.

Agreed! When putting this video together, I thought it would be nice to have something along the lines of CCTV cameras filming as you go through the course.

I can't believe how much I'm enjoying these challenges! Will move on to the blue one now :D

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=10856

Ever noticed how the targets disappear if you walk very closely to them? :)

@rakowozz: How did you record gameplay by the way?

Yea the whole target disappearing thing has happened to me a few times if your character gets super close to them accidentally.

The door opening on the course is also pretty hilarious sometimes xD

Will there be more courses in the future? Don't know if it's been asked already.

@Sneakson: Dxtory with Lagarith Lossless codec. Big files, but good performance and great quality. Then I've been editing (where needed) with After Effects.

Will there be more courses in the future? Don't know if it's been asked already.

Yes, of course

Yes, of course

Were did you get that from ? The only thing I saw was what RiE said, that they are looking at ways to make accuracy more rewarding.

Besides, my ticket received two downvotes at first, so it seems people don't even want to have more.

BIS said there will be more already.

Hm, I think 37s-something would be possible on Orange... can't do better than my near 38 time though. My first try for the day was 48, then 44, then 42, then I got 41… and so it goes. Maybe gonna try harder tonight. I think I may have to decrease my mouse sensitivity though. I think I did my record with about 75% of my current 10cm/360 sensitivity.

Were did you get that from ? The only thing I saw was what RiE said, that they are looking at ways to make accuracy more rewarding.

Besides, my ticket received two downvotes at first, so it seems people don't even want to have more.

Probably the typical downvote idiots everywhere that thinks implementing every single feature would take so much time it would be the only thing BIS could do from now to release.

Made some new runs yesterday...

The new training, competitive, restart and exit signs are great.

Also every time you restart SOMETHING happens but what exactly? You get new ammo but if you’ve loaded a 30 round mag into your gun it’s still in there instead of the default 16 round mag which is great but I don’t get how it works.

I think Green has changed for the worse because it’s no longer possible to quick-start since all 9 bullets will need to be used in the first handgun area and without missing too. Shouldn’t the green course be a bit easier? I’m also pretty sure you HAVE to reload before the last 4 targets. I read in the dev notes that the targets on Green somehow have been corrected to make up for the smaller magazine but I didn’t notice any change at all other than that I think one crouching area got bigger.

I’m also still having problems with Red where you can STAND on the bridge but because you stick your butt out (I would assume?) the game still tracks your position as being outside of the shooting zone. I did manage a lot better now though so either I’ve got the touch or there’s been a change but it could still be better.

Oh and Blue is only bright enough to see comfortably for about 10-15 minutes on a professionally brightness and contrast calibrated monitor. I would color calibrate it too but color profiles deactivate whenever you launch games and I don’t know how to get around that and the HP Zr24w is excellently calibrated out of the box anyways so…

Oh anyways, new high scores:

Red: 52.005 (I would have got <52 but walked across the finish line)

Blue: 38.244

ulc4KEl.jpg

I would had got <52 on Red but walked across the finish line because I’ve had the green finish line not trigger when running over it many, many times and yet again recently so I still think it’s an issue.

Blue was easy somehow. Sometimes taking a break and coming back to things really makes you better because I broke my old record on the second try… took hours per course to get these high scores though.

Challenges are a good way to add a lot of game time for players that enjoy this sort of thing with relatively little work.

Edit: two weeks until I upgrade my computer by the way and by then I'll be able to record videos. Right now I’m playing with all Visibility at lowest to try to make it never drop below 60 but it still does. Recording cuts performance in two.

Edited by Sneakson

Orange turned out to be trickier than Blue. I noticed many times you'll run atop the tower and the checkpoint just won't trigger the targets. Plus, sometimes you change stance before your bullet gets to the target, giving you a penalty.

Still lots of fun, of course. Managed to get 38.711, though as someone mentioned before, it's quite possible to make it in 37.

4WWUZq91wr4

Ah, I never thought of toggling the sight in the end... could be worth it.

Put me up on the list. ;)

Firing Drill - Green

Time: 01:33.168

Firing Drill - Red

Time: 00:50.383

Edited by Triggerman

Nice! Now I'm only in the Blue lead. Wasn't expecting Orange to be beaten so soon.

About 5 days until I upgrade my computer and probably another for parts to arrive.

Nice! Now I'm only in the Blue lead. Wasn't expecting Orange to be beaten so soon.

About 5 days until I upgrade my computer and probably another for parts to arrive.

Yeah I tried Blue like ten times and it sure seems like it's impossible to get below 40. I seem to be getting 42 as my best, though partially I know that I'm hindering myself by using sights instead of shooting from the hip -- which I prefer over shooting from the hip since it doesn't seem very realistic.

I'll need to try orange some other time.

---------- Post added at 15:30 ---------- Previous post was at 15:08 ----------

Firing Drill - Blue

Time: 00:42.423

By the way, are you guys stripping your toons naked or something since you seem to be running so fast?