Sign in to follow this  

Need a person from the milatary to answer a Q

When an army is in combat over long periods of time does there armour and cars change there camo when winter comes or do they just continue with the normal camo but in the winter.

I guess not

But i really don't know.

It would be a waste of time to change the camo from white to a desert camo just because seasons change.

I think a smart army would have a camo that can work in both!

Unl33t, you don't know anything.

I think it would be possible if the trip is planned. If it is not, then no extra camoes are packed.

in peacetime camo is not that much changed...not the paint anyways, but in wartime im sure the paint is changed also.

at summertime u have small bushes tied to the vehicles to make them look like bushes..and of course the camoflage net is green also.

at wintertime u have white sheets (correct word?..like blankets of some sort) covering the vehicles, and at winter time u use a white camoflage net (that also protects detection by thermal detectors).

the net is on the vehicles only when you stop somewhere, but the bushes and the white stuff is on while moving also...

the soldiers have winter and summer clothes, white for winter and green for summer....tents are camoflaged on one side and white on the other...at winter you just have the white side out and cameflage inside.

its never a waste of time to camoflage vehicles, soldiers, trenches and such...a soldier with snow-camo is near invisible in the snow, and a soldier with green camo is dead in the snow.

(Edited by Pete at 8:14 am on Nov. 3, 2001)

Yes, uniform and paint does change, it is not a major hassle

Hmmmm,

I think it has more to do with geographic location.

When I was in Viet Nam, we wore the same "Jungle Green" utilities (fatiges) year round....

/0

Maj

you would look silly with white camo clothes in vietnam smile.gif

i was in finnish army, the camo change is important there since you get loads of snow at winter and green camo would be seen really well from a long distance.

But does the army actually repaint the vehicles Pete? And what about weapon camo. Does that change (eg. In winter rifles are being sprayed white or something similar).

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from RedStorm on 11:13 am on Nov. 3, 2001

But does the army actually repaint the vehicles Pete? And what about weapon camo. Does that change (eg. In winter rifles are being sprayed white or something similar).<span id='postcolor'>

no, weapons are not sprayed white, but u do have white tape (?) on them.

i think not even cannons or similiar get re-painted, but it is cos they are behind own lines at all times.....mortars (my speciality) can sometimes be behind enemy lines but they arent repainted either.

i didnt see vehicles sprayed white, but they were covered by white camo so it didnt matter...at wartime im not sure, but i doubt they will be re-painted.....i never actually seen white painted military vehicles, except the un stuff.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from Devil on 4:38 pm on Nov. 3, 2001

Unl33t, you don't know anything.

I think it would be possible if the trip is planned. If it is not, then no extra camoes are packed.

<span id='postcolor'>

And you can't read cock sucker!

I wrote in my post this

"But i don't really know"

Fool

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from Monkey Lib Front on 12:04 pm on Nov. 3, 2001

When an army is in combat over long periods of time does there armour and cars change there camo when winter comes or do they just continue with the normal camo but in the winter.

<span id='postcolor'>

When winter cames, personel using other uniform (winter camo) or use camouflage cloak.

Vehicles will not repaint. For camouflaging using camouflaged net.

Looks like:

Leopard2_1.jpg

BUT. It right for peace time.

If some vehicles will used on special theatre of war, vehicle will be camouflaged for this war.

Leo for combat in forest/swamp regions

leo1_2.jpg

Leo for combat in desert regions

leo1a3_3.jpg

Repaint vehicle for winter... YES. WWII, "winter camo"

T-34

T34Color3.jpg

Pz VI

Pz6_23.jpg

KV

KV_color1.jpg

"Winter camo" using on battale vehicles. Support vehicles repaints very, very rarely.

(Edited by Shirson at 6:39 pm on Nov. 3, 2001)

Thx but all i need now is some snow affects for the winter addon

From what I know, vehicles are mostly given camo nets, cos it's quicker to install and makes the vehicle harder to identify (breaking its lines and profile). But when winter comes, many units are given (or take) white paint that they put themselves on their vehicles. Just like the German army on the Eastern front, see the Tiger picture.

The Finnish and Norwegians (is that it ?) armies have white camo net also. I saw a Leopard1 wearing one, green paint with large white spots covered by an all white net with leaves. And the effect is quite impressive. It gives the Leopard the look of strange beast.

Anyway, every army has habits and traditions. Guess Russians are better prepared to winter fighting than other western armies (except the Scandinavians)

well, the fact is that some units that are not specifically trained for winter operations use what they have already. i have served in infantry units at fort bragg and fort campbell and we did not have winter camoflauged clothing when conducting trianing. now, when a unit deploys to a real world situation and it is winter time, they will be issued the appropriate type of clothing to conduct operations in that enviroment. units like 10th mountain and the airborne unit in alaska are already equipped to fight in those conditions, because they typically train in it. if you are stationed at a unit that has mostly hot weather, you will not have the equipment that you would use in a "harsh" winter enviroment, but we have trained in the snow during the winter, just not for long periods of time. with the right equipment, we would do fine.

aswer from a person whom trained in all kinds of terrain and weather

re camoing depends on the unit

some units do (special forces , recon units )

the repainting takes time and in war there isn't time

so they first go and then if they have created a standoff (defending army) they re camo

in the position of attacker wel they got more time so they usually do repaint

but a lot of army's use camo netting instead its cheaper easyer and just as effective ( for repaint you can also look at UN and NATO forces as long as they are UN they are all white but if it changes to NATO involvment they repaint

(Edited by supergrunt at 10:28 pm on Nov. 9, 2001)

i agree with supergrunt re: cammo

when we went to Saudi, we deployed from Germany with OD Green Tanks. When they ('tangos') arrived in-country, the first stop was a quickly thrown together set of covered painting areas. the 'Spray Shacks' resembled those self-service carwash drive-ins, except you had to get out of the tank and (in my case) the driver and loader put on protective suits, boots, and breather-masks. (which were just old MOPP suits) We then hosed the tank down with what's called CARC paint, which is highly toxic. According to protocol, we should have sandblasted the original surface, washed with detergent, let dry, then sprayed with solvent. However, War being what it is, all that SOP went STRAIGHT out the window and we just washed quickly then painted.

Anyway, just thought i'd pass that real-world tidbit of info along. In general, tho, we ONLY used cammo net in the European theatre and never bothered with attaching sticks or bushes or any of that.

^m^

The germans used Limestone paint during WWII.. when the spring came and it began to rain the paint washed off... and it was automagicly back to non winter color..

OOPS.. somehow the LAST page of posts came up.. This was old as h*ll..