Sign in to follow this  
lev

Guide to playing on expert?

Hi guys,

Recently started trying TOH. I am currently using a G940 setup to play. I don't like to ease myself into the game so I prefer to start playing on expert and learn all the difficulties from the get-go. Unfortunately, TOH expert mode is exceedingly hard and I can not even take off properly.

The main issue I experience is that as soon as I increase the collective enough to rise into the air even a slight bit, I just lose all control of the helicopter -> i.e. it starts spinning and swaying like crazy. I've read that I am supposed to hit manual trim set or something but I can't even steady it to the point that that control becomes useful.

Any tips/guides to help this noob get started?

Lev

have you put on auto hover? hit spacebar.

Try to get some height, then take it off, see how you go from there.

Yeah, I've tried autohover. Autohover seems to account for some of the instability so I don't need to trim. However as soon as I take autohover off, the chopper just goes crazy and I inevitably end up crashing. The best I have been able to do is hold it steady for about 5-10s before losing control.

Have you tried to use your rudder so as to keep the chopper under control? This should do it.

Also you can try taking off faster by means of pitching the nose down just a few seconds following your take off. Of course in order to do so you must have the throttle at a high level but not too high so as not to damage the helicopter. And just to mention by increasing the throttle the chopper will pitch a bit forward after all. Then you can also check the controls under your possession. By having a look at your sensitivity settings and dead zones you may greatly enhance your ability to control your helicopter.

Furthermore, why start in such a difficult level? In order to learn how to take off, land, maneuver and hover your chopper you will need to acquire some experience. Steadily you will become an expert. Just one step at a time. Naturally it is not of my business but I am talking out of personal experience. Too many crashes there were and I am by no means an expert. Just saying.:D

At low/zero speed, helicopters like to roll to the side and spin on the spot. The roll is the effect of torque and the spin is the tail rotor acting as a mini propeller, pushing the back of your helicopter around in a circle. (At higher speeds airflow compensates for this.)

Just to add; torque will be a constant force you need to consider. Not just during take offs and landings. Raising/lowering collective will change the amount of torque. Which in turn will need to be compensated for.

Try to slowly increase the collective until your almost airborne. Look to see what your helo is trying to do. Lower the collective and touch down again. Now that you know what the helo wants to do, take off, ready to use your controls to counter the movement you just saw. Which will be slight pressure on the appropriate pedal and a small amount of cyclic to counter the roll. (If your spinning right, apply left pedal, if your rolling to the right, apply left cyclic.)

I really urge you to learn with the light helicopter, if your not already. The medium is quite wild and after 300 hours plus I still find the tail rotor to be hypersensitive to inputs, even at lowest sensitivity. I like the heavy, it flies nicely, but: Start small, work your way up. :)

Turn all control sensitivity to low for now, it can help to stop you over compensating. As you get experience, you'll probably increase them over time. Also remove all deadzones. The key to helos is small, measured adjustments.

Sorry if I'm telling you what you already know. But hopefully some of the above will help. :)

Try to change the sensitivity of the axes. Remove the dead zone at all. Remember handle during normal flight cyclic pitch shifted by only a few degrees.

Change the collective pitch slowly. 8 - 10 seconds. While holding down the rate of pedals. Slightly tilt the nose of the helicopter at clear off the ground.

Hello, I don't mean to hijack your post, but i'm unable to create a new thread and since searching is coming up with nothing I figured posting in this thread might be relevant - Flying in expert mode would require certain skill level, as a basic "skill" the pilot should be able to switch off the radio in the cockpit... However my pilot is only able to change the radio station, or switch it on, no matter if I do what the ingame tutorial tells me, Clicking radio button in the cockpit does not switch the radio off, and there are no keys in the control options to do this either... how do I turn off the music????

Although I don;t understand why you cannot post a new thread, normally it is possible by clicking new thread at the top left of the forums page, here is the solution to your problem:

What you should do is to scroll over the music "button" and click the music off option, just like you probably do with the other keys.

I had the same problem....i use trustmaster hotas x and after finding out my throttle had to be mapt to analog thrust and not the normal "increase thrust" because its sets your thrust to full as soon as you touch it...