Sign in to follow this  
pokeyoats

Which version to buy 360 or PC

Good day all.

I was a HUGE fan of the original Carrier Command for the Atari ST back in the 80s and I would like to purchase the remake.

I have a quite powerful PC (i3770K, GTX680, 32GB RAM, SSD etc. etc.) and I'm looking for advice as to which version to buy, the PC or XBOX 360 one. I guess I am looking to get the most stable or best playing version (is mouse better than 360 controller for example (I remember using the mouse on the ST in the original).

I do appreciate any and all advice on the matter.

PC all the way. The 360 version is no longer supported by patches, and the PC version has beta updates that you won't get on the 360, plus it is moddable.

PC all the way. The 360 version is no longer supported by patches, and the PC version has beta updates that you won't get on the 360, plus it is moddable.

Thank you very much for the advice, I'm ordering now. :)

Oh it does, especially when you have a 680 :) But that said the XBOX has the advantage of being able to stretch out on the lounge and play on a large screen that isn't inches from your face.

I have ordered the PC version of Carrier Command GAEA but it appears it's coming from the UK and I have to wait 18-26 days. I think they're sending it by paper aeroplane! :)

Oh it does, especially when you have a 680 :) But that said the XBOX has the advantage of being able to stretch out on the lounge and play on a large screen that isn't inches from your face.

I have ordered the PC version of Carrier Command GAEA but it appears it's coming from the UK and I have to wait 18-26 days. I think they're sending it by paper aeroplane! :)

You can do that with a PC as well.

I'm sitting in my favorite chair with my PC connected to my 40" TV at a comfortable distance

I can lean back and relax when I play if I so wish.

The PC does have a few advantages over the Xbox mentioned above, but that dont mean the Xbox is a bad choice.

I would say its a matter of preference, personally I prefer the PC.

If you ordered the PC version, why not order a digital version?

that way you can just download it and save the wait.

Unless of course you got limits to your connection that makes it impractical.

Edited by Bansheedragon

If you ordered the PC version, why not order a digital version?
For this particular game, I think he made the right choice going retail. Look how long it took for the last beta to go live on Steam. Plus, it can be more expensive than the retail version. With any luck, maybe the next beta will be out before his copy arrives.

Good to know that the retail has other advantages. In the end for me it was predominantly fiscal. I'm single and have to manage my budget quite tightly with a spreadsheet. Steam was $30 where-as retail was $14.99 with $2.99 shipping. And I can cook a fair whack of food for $12.02. :)

Saving almost half the price by getting a retail version, is not something I can argue with.

And having a tight economy as well, I can understand you want so save money.

Good to know that the retail has other advantages. In the end for me it was predominantly fiscal. I'm single and have to manage my budget quite tightly with a spreadsheet. Steam was $30 where-as retail was $14.99 with $2.99 shipping. And I can cook a fair whack of food for $12.02. :)

you've made the right choice, hard times for western countries lastly ;) and saving moneys is always wise

Thank you everyone for the kind responses. I am quite looking forward to its arrival. It will be really neat to relive the experience years later with such new lush graphics! :)

I played the game quite a few times by now, and can say its a great tribute to the original.

You will not be disappointed, there are many hours of gameplay in this game.

Just wanted to say that my copy arrived a week ago and I am really enjoying this game. It is hard, I feel it's harder than the original and the Walruses do seem incredibly stupid in their pathfinding, but it's definitely Carrier Command and it looks beautiful running on a GTX680.

So overall I think this is a great game and I really don't play that many games these days. I'm honestly surprised about the detractors, they're either young and don't understand the significance of the first and how nice it is to relive that retro feel with new graphics or they are just very negative people.

It does seem a lot harder than the original though! :)