Sign in to follow this  
spanishsurfer

Why isn't Capture the Island more popular?

I agree. A public accessible Tutorial for a/all gamemodes would help new players alot.

All the stuff you alway say/write ingame could be written down as well I guess. Then you could just point the person to a URL. Or the server owners could even provide the url to be seen when joining or reading the server description. just a few ideas.

If it is a yt video or written text does probably not matter that much. but as always: someone's gotta do it ;)

I'm not sure how much CTI you've played, it's pretty well balanced on both Arma2 & 3. The buying concept is good because it rewards players who play the game mode. If you capture towns, kill enemy, etc...you are rewarded with credits/cash. This results in the good players acquiring enough to purchase the more complicated vehicles and aircraft, instead of having a "who can get to it first" mentality. As for the AI doing tasks for you, meh...Yeah you can have them do tasks but they're not very good at it and typically you're going to be working with other players to take towns.

Enough to get the idea. Did I mention I don't like that "reward" system either? I mean, reward is completing objective, isn't it? No I don't support idea of "good" players only getting "good" stuff. I support the idea of players preparing for their role and doing it as best as they can, but if that role is unavailable for them only because they are not "good enough" I don't like it. I don't see it as a "fight" to get some role, I see it more like fulfilling the role you took.

-Not enough content for big missions yet

Many players are new so just hopping in to have a play while they learn.

-New builds break missions as well.

-Stratis is a bit small.

Once final is released I hope we will see more large scale missions on Altis ;)

i agree, stratis is really to small for that + lacking of content. CTI is really about large scale battle, with tons of equipment and armored vehicles, beta offers now lot more, but just not enough.

Can't wait myself, to finally play cti on altis.

I agree. A public accessible Tutorial for a/all gamemodes would help new players alot.

All the stuff you alway say/write ingame could be written down as well I guess. Then you could just point the person to a URL. Or the server owners could even provide the url to be seen when joining or reading the server description. just a few ideas.

If it is a yt video or written text does probably not matter that much. but as always: someone's gotta do it ;)

Mind you, the problem there is that BI can't possibly account for every new game mode that someone might come up with; what matters though is the ability to quickly teach the game mode (that one's going to come down to mission design) or the ability to link/give a quick "how to" blurb in the server browser. It's seemingly part of why certain game modes seem to be so cliche-common in other shooters: the modes being common-as-hell/long-standing (though cliche is inevitable) means that the basic idea was already formed in viewers' minds which spares those devs from the problem of "getting people into the game mode", but here what mission makers should be doing is, frankly, that work, and what BI should be doing is modifying the server browser to better enable mission makers to do that work (i.e. by better "description field" capability).

Gotta hop on the bandwagon here. Love CTI and DOM atm. I really don't get why people love Wasteland so much. This is a semi-rant, but basically: If you want a DayZ-esque style mode, go play DayZ. I sure damn hope one can mod DayZ and would give my right arm for someone to produce Wasteland on there, and then destroy every wasteland server on ArmA. It shall never happen and many SO's shall remain firmly playing Wasteland, but hey.

If you didn't already get my drift: I severely dislike Wasteland as a mode, both in its characteristics, and the fact it chews up half the server list.

Dirty little secret: Wasteland has proven more JIP friendly than any CTI or DOM session I've tried; this matters a lot.

what does "JIP" stand for (google did not help); found in through the forum's search, but no explaination?

I don't want BIS to explain game modes, they did not invent. That has to be done by the creator or someone from the commununity. If the server description field does not fit, maybe the BIS Wiki is the place to go or the Armaholic Download section. Then you can use "short-link-services" that can be used in the server welcome page or what not.

Why do you guys rage so much about PvP players. They pay for the game and help finance it. As long as they don't harm you on your PvE servers and there is enough ppl left that play PvE you should have no reason to complain.

I myself enjoy PvE more as well :)

Edited by MissVerstanden

JIP stands for Join In Progress, basically what he means is that when joining a server the current state of the server is streamed from the server to the new client, this is when you see 'receiving data'. Depending on the game mode the amount of data needed to correctly communicate the state of the server to the client can vary. Wasteland is a v simple game mode with few variables so the amount of data required to send to the client is small. Capture The Island mode however is hugely complex with many variables and objects requiring to be streamed from server to cllient so the data required is larger & 'receiving data' takes longer. Whilst the server is streaming this data to the client the available bandwidth left for the already connected players drops a little and this can sometimes, especially on crowded servers, manifest itself as lag and red chain icons.

So wasteland is less laggy because it's simple. Although this lag can be avoided on a well setup CTI server, it just depends how well the CTI server admins understand the back end server settings available to them for tweaking purposes.

Aside from this, who ever said BIS shouldn't release a tutorial vid for warfare is talking out there butt. Yes people have tweaked it, e.g. Benny and his excellent WarfareBE for arma 2, but they all follow the same basic idea....

Two opposing human teams.

One commander per team.

Commander builds base and vehicle factories.

Non commanders buy AI troops and vehicles.

Towns all start as Resistence AI.

Players take their vehicles and AI and capture as many towns as possible.

The more kills/captures the more £ u get.

Use money to buy better vehicles.

Repeat until there is a massive war between human teams with ever more advanced technology.

Game ends when mobile hq and bases of one team is destroyed.

IF BIS made a built in tutorial vid covering these basics, the game mode would take off!

Edited by rory_pamphilon

CTI is for sure one of the highlights since OFP, capturing the whole Island so you actually use the terrain which is offered. Its really fun to conquer the whole territory.

Unfortunately the CTI mods in Arma 2 had some issues i.e. you could spawn multiple units of the same type and this was actually overpowered i.e. a whole squad with Javelins against a player driving a tank, just one example. There were aswell not enough restrictions about weapon loads i.e. on many servers you could carry a heavy weapon + heavy ATG....

There seems to be a lot of improvement to motivate more pvp players to join this type of gameplay.

At the end I hope Arma 3 does not deliver just make up, instead the games gameplay gets improved aswell. The beta has not enough content to judge this.

Man...

I hope we get to see some great CTI/DOMI/EVO missions by the release....

But what worries me the most is the playerbase....Don't get me wrong,but since DayZ and Wasteland,the servers i used to play (in Arma 2) got infested with kids and immature people...

I miss the old player base from ArmA 1: real war Vets and mature gamers that looked for some serious fun. :)

Hi Guys,

for those of you that like CTI, i guess you already have been on my server(s) - all others, see this post, for everything relating to my server and CTI-Edition of Teetimes

@ Minoza - try out my Server too, if you didn't by now. It is designed for less "sending AIs around" but more PVP-style Group-&Teamplay

@ colossus - i have some of the features of crCTI on my wishlist and "work in progress"

@ CTI Mode - well i like it the most because it mixes up attacking / defending bases with strategical dependencies and also a steady "growth" of income the longer the round lasts,

which leads to more strategic options, like attack-helicopters and other stuff (of course there are a lot vehicles and helis already, free to take and respawning too).

At least on my server there is no "commander" that gives you money ... but you get it for taking / holding bases (and every minute additional $ for every base your side owns) and killing AI or Enemys in PVP.

*WARNING* from here on a very long Text contains a lot of Sarcasm, swearing and a little raging^^

Tutorials and How-to's are great....but ....umm... i have to disappoint some of you guys.

What do i have:

When you join my server, while loading - there is a short description under the image saying:

Capture the Island - Take and hold all Bases to win.

ALL PLAYERS HAVE TO READ the BRIEFING and FAQs please!

Open the Map and see Briefing in Map-Menu before you start!

Next thing after you have chosen a class and spawn into the game, a full-display Welcome-Message appears,

containing this Text and you have to click to CLOSE it.

READ THIS BEFORE YOU START PLEASE:

Welcome to TeeTime's Warfare - BETA - KKZ-Mod reworked by Blue1

I hope that you will enjoy this mission and Arma III. Have in mind it's STILL BETA yet.

Here some hints:

JOIN PLAYER GROUPS - Communicate and SEE MAP to avoid TK / Friendly Fire

1. Capture all Cities to win this mission!

Increase your income by capturing and holding more cities

2. The RED BOX IS THE NEW WEAPONSHOP (press E),

Cashdesks in your base represent different supply depots for AI and vehicles

3. REPORT HACKERs/VEHICLESPAM/or people disturbing our Gameplay anyhow immediately to me: Blue1

4. DO NOT SPAM, CRASH OR STEAL VEHICLES INTENTIONALLY

or you get banned

5. DO NOT BASERAPE (HQs),

shooting towards the enemy Mainbase HQ is STRICTLY prohibited

or you get banned

6. FLAGPOLES in every Town are also SHOPs with AI-Defender-Reinforcements

PLEASE OPEN MAP and CHECK Briefing, FAQ and SERVER RULES

Good Luck and Have Fun!

The same Text, appears in the lower middle of your screen, starting after few seconds, line after line.

Then, the "Message of the Day" is containing about 20 lines, most of them repeating 2 or 3 times,

also with a lot of hints written in CAPSLOCK - and guess what - yes, exactly, ...

they contain "my wish" to read the Briefing & FAQ ... a few times....

Okay - oh wait - did i mention, that at the top-right corner, where it shows your money it also is switching

between the $-Information and a RED BLINKING TEXT asking you from the very beginning,...guess what.....

Bingo: "Welcome to the Server *playername* PLEASE see Map-Menu for Briefing and FAQs"

Well,...now i am on the point where i have to disappoint you.

As long as it is not possible to kick someone out of the game, directly to an URL...i think,

a Videotutorial makes no sense. Because they don't even read the fcking dozens of messages that could help them right at start.

I never had or have problems with explaining stuff and i mostly do it but...

1. I do not understand why people, all new to this (or any other) game, just pop in Multiplayer and waiting to get spoonfed

about the very basics of the game (not a particular Mission!) itself...instead of at least trying / learning in Singleplayer first.

Of Course it is a steep learning curve on Arma, but i hope you understand if i am "wondering" if someone asks on global VON

"ay yo - how da f*ck can i zoom in and what are we doing here aye!?"...

And what the heck - are some people, that are complaining all the way about everything in globalVON to another 60 players - expecting of an Alpha/Beta ...!?

2. I'd like to have 1 $ or € for EVERY question that is already answered in - guess where - the Briefing and FAQs ... server would be paid for the rest of the year ;)

If you want to make a Tutorial, maybe on my server - feel free, contact me and i will help you where i can!

But to be honest - i don't think it will help anything.

Another idea that came into my mind - and which i could need help with too - would be an Intro.

A Intro-Script, showing 3 Images for each 10 to 15 seconds ...and checks if the Player-ID was on the server before or not.

The first image could be a welcome-message & news / changelog ... switching to another image explaining the important features / goals of the Gamemode

(like the Strategic Mode...) and the 3rd one shows the FAQs / Rules or something.

The FIRST Image should be unskippable - but if the Player has been on the server before (scriptcheck anyhow?), he should get a "skip"-button after 10 seconds.

This could be a way to "force" a new player to take at least one short look to "what is happening here" .... maybe.

okay - so much for now

Sorry for that very long text ... and yeah, SCNR^^

best regards!

JIP stands for Join In Progress, basically what he means is that when joining a server the current state of the server is streamed from the server to the new client, this is when you see 'receiving data'. Depending on the game mode the amount of data needed to correctly communicate the state of the server to the client can vary. Wasteland is a v simple game mode with few variables so the amount of data required to send to the client is small. Capture The Island mode however is hugely complex with many variables and objects requiring to be streamed from server to cllient so the data required is larger & 'receiving data' takes longer. Whilst the server is streaming this data to the client the available bandwidth left for the already connected players drops a little and this can sometimes, especially on crowded servers, manifest itself as lag and red chain icons.

So wasteland is less laggy because it's simple. Although this lag can be avoided on a well setup CTI server, it just depends how well the CTI server admins understand the back end server settings available to them for tweaking purposes.

And therein lies the problem, if CTI is so dependent on servers admins manually "optimizing" the backend...

I will say this, one absolute issue I've had with public MP sessions that were not Wasteland were squad dispersal -- basically literally any group I joined would probably already be split up at one or two objectives when I'd spawned at base, and with no one as group pilot to at least give me a ride.

Looks like you don't know the new community, attracted by DayZ, well enough. Because VASTALAND is a lot more understandable shoot'em up no-teamplay gamemode, which you can easilly turn to a pure idiotism. That kind of gameplay you can see in all modern shooters like Call Of Spray, Sprayfield 3 and 4, Spraysis 2 and 3, etc. And these kids expect the same in Arma 3

Looks like you don't know the new community, attracted by DayZ, well enough. Because VASTALAND is a lot more understandable shoot'em up no-teamplay gamemode, which you can easilly turn to a pure idiotism. That kind of gameplay you can see in all modern shooters like Call Of Spray, Sprayfield 3 and 4, Spraysis 2 and 3, etc. And these kids expect the same in Arma 3

Wasteland is just GTA in ARMA III imo. DayZ. No comments!!! No interest for any of them. You will be surpriced how many "adults" or what ever called, play these mods.

"A lot more understandable" absolutely matters and is a valid reason.

As for what I said earlier about "unit dispersal" when trying to JIP, here's an off-forums anecdote (clipped because the rest of the quote consisted of bashing a certain mission-maker):

Had a ton of fun playing AW Invade and Annex with some group that actually stuck together with a leader that was actually pretty good.