Sign in to follow this  
malkekoen

Please let us have fire control systems!

Having tried all the new beta stuff and loving it, I still find it awfully primitive that we have to compensate for range by aiming high or low in modern attack helicopters and the other vehicles.

Current modern gunships are equipped with rangefinding lasers that automatically adjusts the elevation of the barrel, knowing the ballistics of the amminition fired, so all the gunner has to do is to put the crosshairs on the target.

MTBs have the same system, so I think it would be a feature that futuristic systems like the Ifrit, Hunter, and the APCs, equipped with NV and IR, would most certainly have.

ACE incorporated this feature in Arma2, so Im surprised its not in Arma3 yet since it is such a small thing, but makes a huge difference for the player. Its extremely hard to play without once you've tried it once.

Just lock the target when in gunners view (remap the Lock or Optics key first, so you don't go into/out of optics every time you lock a target with RMB). Zeroing changes to AUTO. You shoot when the diamong is inside the square. As much as I would like ACE like FCS, at least we have some FCS. Even compensating for target movement. I am not sure whether it works with AutoGuideAT off in difficulty, though (that FCS got "broken" by disabling AutoGuideAT in Arma2 betas CCP removing tab-lock and FCS along with it, not sure if it's back or not).

Thanks for the tip, but it's a bit immersion breaking with that fake hud diamond I think, and also it's not realistic in the way it works compared to eg. an Apache or other moden heli, or the FCS of MTB's.

I really hope for some kind of improvement ;)

immersion breaking with that fake hud diamond

This. It looks so bad. About time we get an "in screen" GUI fo all weapons systems.

Absolutly. I can't grasp why some integrated GUI haven't been implemented yet. Even the new OFP had them as far as I remember... It's the same now with the strange double HUD in choppers with missiles, the fake white "hud overlay" diamond and then the real hud underneath with the useless symbology (maybe due to parallax or something).

I hope for the best!

I would really, really love an ACE type FCS. It works so damn well. As much as I love Arma3, it is disappointing to see that they have not really done anything to improve this area. I am pretty surprised as it is an obvious area for overhaul. I am guessing the fact we are out of ALPHA also probably means that we wont see any more new features like this implemented now?

ACE first gave us many things which where so good and well received BIS added their own versions in Arma2 OA. The same could be said about the ACE FCS. It is so good and is so much more rewarding to use than mouse/tab lock, there is no question that it should be added, no one would object. Tab/ Click Lock for FCS has many problems, one of which is network lag. You have be playing on LAN to be able to reliably use Click lock for FCS. Any kind of teleporting of units or even slight warping causes rounds to miss. With the ACE FCS, the server can be as laggy as hell and the FCS still works perfectly. This is just one reason of many it is better.

Is there a ticket up for this or some thing similar any one know?

For anyone who has never seen the ACE FireControlSystem here is an example video:

Bo5UnOhUrbY

Edited by -=seany=-

Nice video there, argh, it just reminds even more how cool ACE was. Even a simplified version of this would be great. Concerning tickets, I don't know. Anyone knows?

I am guessing the fact we are out of ALPHA also probably means that we wont see any more new features like this implemented now?

Alpha focus was in infantry and general concepts. Beta is for vehicles and solidify it's foundations, so now it's the time that things may change.

Or not.

ticket is up for aircraft fcs. please see my signature :)

Here is a ticket about FCS that apparently the Devs are looking at. I added suggestion about using the ACE system and the example video.

Give some votes if you like.

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=4834

Edited by -=seany=-
Forgot ticket link! thanks twistking :)

Alpha focus was in infantry and general concepts. Beta is for vehicles and solidify it's foundations, so now it's the time that things may change.

Or not.

Hopefully they actually change something with vehicles (as they are pretty much the same (even less functionality than ArmA2!!!!! >.<), atleast we have mirrors.)

Hopefully we'll get a proper damage system.

Anyone remember NWD's Tank FCS system for Arma 1?

That was even better than the ACE one: The optics picture would follow the turret boresight's lead when laying the gun on moving targets, but the aiming reticle would continue to track the target.

It also had a different, equally realistic portrayal of the gunnery system for the T-72 where the reticle would move.

That mod was like having Steel Beasts in Arma.