Sign in to follow this  
afp

Fatigue effects

6 = This could work, if possible. Blur off wouldn't give any advantage for those who prefer that, over those who keep it on, either.

... and suddenly almost everyone would disable it, because doing so it gives a small advantage to people who enables blur. Furthermore there would be no annoying thing that would force people to take sensible amounts of eq. Right now it works, it is annoying! In RL you would feel pain, exhaustion, games doesn't have such possibility. Being exhausted is annoying, so the effect should be annoying. Have you ever heard about "comfortable exhaustion"? After disabling it, what would force YOU to take sensible amounts of eq on your back? Think about this.

Edited by Byku

Byku it is a game. Think about it.

... and suddenly almost everyone would disable it, because doing so it gives a small advantage to people who enables blur. Furthermore there would be no annoying thing that would force people to take sensible amounts of eq. Right now it works, it is annoying! In RL you would feel pain, exhaustion, games doesn't have such possibility. Being exhausted is annoying, so the effect should be annoying. Have you ever heard about "comfortable exhaustion"? After disabling it, what would force YOU to take sensible amounts of eq on your back? Think about this.

hmm advantage to people who enable blur... hmmm I smell balancing in the air

;2423221']Byku it is a game. Think about it.

Oh yes it's a game, and i hope it will be a demanding, realistic, hard game! FUN GAME! That will punish me for doing something unrealistic! That will be a challenge! Where I will have to think what role do I want in my squad, what is necessary for me.

To Masharra: Oh come on... balancing? Yes it is harder to aim with blur, so people who doesn't give a crap if they have TITAN with 4 rockets and Zafir will disable it, so they won't have to worry that they've got 50/60kg on their back(guess). So what's the point of having blur at all? Yes i have to say i'm the guy who(if possible) takes Zafir and 4 titan rockets but at least I know i will breathe, have blur and have to stop sometimes because if i will engage enemy with blurry screen i will be at huge disadvantage.

Sure blur isn't exactly realistic, i would much rather prefer the need to walk sometimes and bigger weapon sway, but i suppose the devs decided that blur will be "less" annoying that walking.

Edited by Byku

Screw the blur, and if you disable the zoom while exhausted?

And the alternatives are?

1) No effects at all, you should be able to sprint when you want,

2) Just slowing down when tired,

3) Just the blur removed,

4) Swaying cam effect,

5) Forced stop or walking,

6) Options to turn blurring effect off.

7) ?

1 = Not good at all.

2 = Boring (like the physical strain only affects your legs, not your whole body and brain). Should other visual effects be removed also, as they have no gameplay value, and they cost some fps.

3 = Ok for some, I guess, but I would miss it. And many others, too.

4 = Please no! (That would be even worse for those few who may be epileptic gamers, by the way)

5 = No way! It would be annoying as hell.

6 = This could work, if possible. Blur off wouldn't give any advantage for those who prefer that, over those who keep it on, either.

You say 2) is boring, but the game making you think you are having an acid trip is fun? Please....

Also not a swaying cam effect. Just your crosshair so your aim would be crap. Thats penalty enough. Make sprinting last a limited time depending on gear loadout and the only penalty for being tired should be swaying crosshair and not being able to sprint all over the place.

And no removing blur wouldnt only be "Ok for some, I guess". Stop making up numbers.

Wouldn't it be more realistic that you can't sprint, do actions slower, breath heavily and etc. rather than have some annoying PP blur? :confused:

Wouldn't it be more realistic for the game to not let you sprint, do your actions slower, breath heavily and etc. rather than put some annoying PP blur? :confused:

cookie.gif

Don't put on AM sniper rifle, rocket launcher, backpack filled with rockets and you won't have to walk. Simple as that.

I agree. If you are full of gear, you should be limited, and I think everybody who picks up a lot of gear, is ready to accept the consequences. But please, BIS, remove the annoying blur! It just makes me sick....

Hello there

I'm one of the few who doesn't mind the fatigue effects. They do seem to kick in a little early for my tastes so IMHO a little tweak would be nice, but I had no idea that PP/Blur could affect those with epilepsy.

As for folk disabling it to get an advantage, surely it's just a visual indicator? I find the weapon sway, when tired, more of an issue in combat. The blur really doesn't get in the way that much.

Still, folk who want to "win" will have already fiddled with their configs and settings/gamma etc.

Personally, I like the game to look as realistic as my low spec PC can handle.

But if folk who need to disable it cant, that needs to be addressed

Rgds

LoK

I'm not sure what everyone is seeing. When exhausted in-game I get some pulsating vignetting effect and certainly not enough to bother me - I rather like it and hope it doesn't go anywhere.

If there is some blur, it must be rather subtle. I've been playing Insurgency type missions with friends and carrying an over abundance of gear and while I do tire out fast (as I expect and that's the way it should be), there is nothing that transpires that would be enough for me to complain about. My settings are all set pretty high as well, so surely I would see any drastic effect if it were happening.

Whatever comes from this I prefer they make it optional, unless it seems to be a bug that might be potentially occurring with some that exacerbates the effects. Because I certainly wouldn't want to miss out on features simply because others on a forum are displeased with it.

I dont mind the blur, but IMO would be better if they replaced blur with some sweat effect, like drops on your screen. Which you then can wipe of your screen kind of similar to what Metro Last Light did ;)

Whatever comes from this I prefer they make it optional, unless it seems to be a bug that might be potentially occurring with some that exacerbates the effects. Because I certainly wouldn't want to miss out on features simply because others on a forum are displeased with it.

Its less of make it optional and more of return it to its optional status.

If im not mistaken we had a more or less working system already with arma 2?

Isnt all it needed was to take the weight into consideration and thats it?

Pretty much. You could not sprint forever and your aim was all over the place after jogging for a longer period, which forced you to rest before start shooting stuff.

Simple, easy and effective. No PP acid trip.

IMO the stamina needs to go so far that it makes you to stop if you don't slow down or taking 100kg of equipment pushes you to the ground. There just needs to be some warning before the faint or rest mode happens. Blur is one visual effect but most people would prefer different effect like A.C.E. blinking black screen or I suggest that there comes eye shaped black boards that gets smaller but not too small over the time before you are forced to rest. This gives you freedom to push your character to the limit and that way gives more tactical decisions. Of course the audio side needs to warn you as well when you're very tired.

The must thing is that new stamina effect(s) needs to be controlled in the difficulty settings and not from the video settings.

Edited by St. Jimmy

What happens in real life is what should happen in the game. The more gear, the more weight, the less distance you can go and at lower speeds. One doesn't get blurry vision, you simply are forcibly reduced to a quick walk and then if you don't slow down from there you will be forced to stop altogether to catch your breath. It's highly reproducible; put on pants and a button down shirt, a backpack full of heavy items, grab a shovel out of the garage as your rifle and start running at top speed for as far as you can. First you will slow to a jog, then a walk and finally, if you keep going as fast as you have in the tank, you will have to stop and catch your breath. Your body will not allow you to run so fast and so far that get blurred vision or start wheezing like you have asthma. Still, other than the blurry vision and the wheezing I think the distance and pace is fair and it does reflect how much gear you have on. Just drop the wheezing and blurry and keep the heavy breathing.

Whatever floats the boats of people displeased with it, as long as it isn't taken away from players who don't mind it at all. To make sure I wasn't going mad or completely blind I just ran a bit with a bunch more than what would constitute an average player's set up might be. There is a pulsating vignetting effect and the out of breath audio. The blur is subtle and pulsates, it will eventually become more frequent when the player is continually pushing himself further without taking a brief rest. Again, that is what I would expect to happen and what I would prefer.

No, you're not mistaken because you're speaking your opinion and a perspective I respectfully don't agree with. I didn't enjoy Arma 2's system in this regard. It was far too lenient and players have obviously become accustomed to that. I'm not against whether folks here like it or not, I just don't want to see it removed or compromised - I think that is a fair and respectful way to put it. Perhaps some tweaks may be in order, this is beta after all. Tweaking features is better than out right removing them.

What happens in real life is what should happen in the game. The more gear, the more weight, the less distance you can go and at lower speeds. One doesn't get blurry vision, you simply are forcibly reduced to a quick walk and then if you don't slow down from there you will be forced to stop altogether to catch your breath. It's highly reproducible; put on pants and a button down shirt, a backpack full of heavy items, grab a shovel out of the garage as your rifle and start running at top speed for as far as you can. First you will slow to a jog, then a walk and finally, if you keep going as fast as you have in the tank, you will have to stop and catch your breath. Your body will not allow you to run so fast and so far that get blurred vision or start wheezing like you have asthma. Still, other than the blurry vision and the wheezing I think the distance and pace is fair and it does reflect how much gear you have on. Just drop the wheezing and blurry and keep the heavy breathing.

It is a game where you, the player, have control, the effect only occurs if you continue to push yourself in that manner. It isn't going to automatically stop for you, as you are in control the entire time. In reality, as you're trying to compare it to, people can easily push themselves to the point of passing out and that is what is trying to be simulated within the game. When you notice the vignetting starting to grow consistent before the blur takes effect - that is your sign, or "your body" giving you that preemptive sign to slow down a bit and take it easy.

I honestly believe people are misinterpreting or misunderstanding the simulated effect here. Don't drop nothing, you want watered down immersion I would suggest BI makes it optional.

Edited by MysteriousStranger

Right now it works, it is annoying! Being exhausted is annoying, so the effect should be annoying.

I feel exactly the same.

But if BIS reacts to the complaints (which are exaggerated a lot I have to say...) by removing or altering things (which I do not hope), then "option 6" should be the best.

---------- Post added at 14:22 ---------- Previous post was at 14:04 ----------

Could you please take some pictures or better videos of the fatigue effect in your game?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmfDxbGlcI8

(Backpack and vest full, carrying AT launcher)

I haven't noticed any difference between alpha and beta effects, they work fine.

No "acid trips", no blindness.

I'm not using any mods or CBA, just Arma 3 Beta developers build.

Edited by Azzur33

I feel exactly the same.

But if BIS reacts to the complaints (which are exaggerated a lot I have to say...) by removing or altering things (which I do not hope), then "option 6" should be the best.

So your aim shaking like an epileptic isnt annoying? I have ran with tons of gear and I will say it again. My vision was not affected. My aim, speed, and reaction time were. Heck I would say my hearing also. because your heartbeat gets effin loud.

I could see perfectly FINE problem was body couldnt keep up. Body was like "F you. F your rifle. F what the sgt is saying. I need air."

Ace pretty much got it very close. I say pretty because I have never ran to the point of near passing out.

On watching that video I am somewhat forced to laugh. Where the heck is the heartbeat? I will agree the blur isnt major but alas its bull. Its not your eyesight that should be affected but your hearing, aiming, speed, and response times. but that ofc is imo

Aim donw your sights in the next video I have a feeling I will be forced to laugh some more.

Instead of adding effects that are more prevalent / enhancing the ones they already had. Ugh. Hearing is blatantly the next thing that should go, long before anything happens to your vision.

Edited by Masharra

On watching that video I am somewhat forced to laugh. Where the heck is the heartbeat?

Calm down. Its Beta. The heart-beating-like-hell sound effect is missing, yes, but I'm pretty sure it will be added.

This is about the visual fatigue effects, which some don't like.

Calm down. Its Beta. The heart-beating-like-hell sound effect is missing, yes, but I'm pretty sure it will be added.

This is about the visual fatigue effects, which some don't like.

Really? What makes you so sure it will be added? You have some inside knowledge?

that visual effects absolutely silly. Shouldnt the blackness expand?

The soldiers breathing is absolute shite also.

The standard should be toggleable. It adds nothings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmfDxbGlcI8

(Backpack and vest full, carrying AT launcher)

I haven't noticed any difference between alpha and beta effects, they work fine.

No "acid trips", no blindness.

Is this seriously what all those people are complaining about?

Those effects are so minimal its not even funny. Seriously?

Those effects are so minimal its not even funny. Seriously?

Then why bloody add them ? Better yet why remove the option to turn it off?

Why add it over heartbeat? Better synced breathing sounds. better breathing overall

Edited by Masharra

I did no special testing but i also had the feeling that you get exhausted way too fast. i dont like the Blur effect, cause overall im no fan of Blur.

Really? What makes you so sure it will be added? You have some inside knowledge?

that visual effects absolutely silly. Shouldnt the blackness expand?

The soldiers breathing is absolute shite also.

The standard should be toggleable. It adds nothings.

Well, I Didn't say I was 100% sure. But it is quite essential effect, so why leaving it out on purpose. It has been before in the series, so why not now.

And the visual effects are not silly at all. You are not the only one who has run with lots of stuff on your back.

How to simulate something that happens in your Brain when you are exhausted? Usually you play sitting comfortably in a nice chair at home. It may not represent exactly the same what your eyes see in reality, you dont see red when you are hurt either. Or dirt on your eyes, slowly fading away, when something explodes near you.

But they add visual signal that something is messed up, like sound effects like heavy breathing or "Argh, I'm hit!", or "physical" effects like not being able to move well.

What's wrong with the heavy breathing by the way? Sounds ok to me.

Edited by Azzur33