Sign in to follow this  
Qosmius

helicopters to overpowered with this radar?

Did you gues ever mind that this radar that you see there is just a help? the pilot can look out of the vehicle and see whats infront of him and you see it on the radar.And even if they would delete this cry radar like you call it nothing would change,because the gunner is still able to use thermal vision with that he controlls the entire island of stratis.Even before someone can lock on,the gunner would have eliminate the enemy multiple times.In wasteland we try it out,everyone had enough money to buy titan AA rockets and tryed to fire at us no CHANCE we raped the server for 30 minutes without getting shot and without using your cry radar everything was done by the gunner he just destroyed the entire island with his 1000 shot gun.

Things would change if the radar would be taken down trust me. It won't stop the thermal gunner to dominate the whole island that's not the point of removing it. Now even the pilot can see any enemy vehicle even without a chance to see those. With radar you don't have to spot but without it you really need to look on the ground.

And of course we do need decent AA Systems as well. And I guess we will get them since there have been screens.

I think balance is important.

It may be that with current vehicles/weapons/systems, helos have a big advantage and can wipe out a load of enemy forces but if you're not modelling an accurate representation of the helo and giving it futuristic/unrealistic systems, like the 360 degree radar and TAB lock, that give it a ridiculous advantage, then you have to look at giving the ground vehicles similar futuristic/unrealistic systems, such as the 360 degree radar, AA missiles, countermeasures, so that they stand a chance of defending themselves.

For the TAB locking mechanism, I probably wouldn't remove it entirely, since having a simple and similar command method across vehicle types can be important. I'd rather see it turned into a narrow line of sight selection, say a circle that pops up in the center of your current view direction when held down, and the targeting box appears over valid, known targets inside the circle and stick when you release the key. Now, this might lead to some issues with "scanning", so the threshold for valid targets to lock might need to be higher than for the target menu. Hopefully this would work as decent compromise for both people with and without head tracking accessories, though some upgrades to the target menu might be in order as well to better show which direction a particular target number is relative to you, or your vehicle.

The "radar" I am less certain about, since as far as I know it's not really a sensor, but a visualization of the "known" targets around you. If I am right about that the problem might be more related to aerial vehicles' excellent vision, and possible solutions could include inducing a bit more "tunnel vision" at range, and clearing out old targets faster when they are no longer in vision or replacing them with some "assumed position" type deal. Harsher friend and foe recognition might be in place. If the system works like I think friendlies would appear friendly immediately due to your side constantly transmitting things like that silently.

for last 10 years of problem was offered hundreds ideas.almost 0 changes - what makes you think that something will be done in a3 ?

tonight i will make a sophisticated ticket at the feedback tracker!

i will publish the link here and hopefully it will get many, many votes!

change is possible! :)

for last 10 years of problem was offered hundreds ideas.almost 0 changes - what makes you think that something will be done in a3 ?

Hope :P that we won't get Arma 2 + fancier graphics

tonight i will make a sophisticated ticket at the feedback tracker!

i will publish the link here and hopefully it will get many, many votes!

change is possible! :)

Looking forward to it!:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2IqZhonKzU

put this on every vehicle in game and i think we balanced out the radar and tab locking from helis and manpads :)

Why don't you make a ticket for putting trophy on the vehicles we have that it is made for?or better yet i will!

---------- Post added at 18:21 ---------- Previous post was at 18:17 ----------

Trophy system for armored vehicles: http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=10254

Edited by ProGamer

To debate the whole "always on radar would get it killed" argument.

You know how current AA systems deal with SEAD? turn off their Radar. If its something like a HARM missile that still manages to go to the last know location, if the the countermeasures on the helicopter know to turn off the radar and warn the pilot, he just needs to make a slight movement and he is safe. So having always on RADAR can work, especially since you need something to find , lock on, and launch at the radar signal.

On that note, I agree the current system is annoying. Yes this is a "sim" but its also a game. They want it to sell as a fun game that is also very sim like. If they wanted to release a true sim, we would all be buying VBS3. Not ArmA 3.

What if for radar guided weapons you had to lock using a system like the BF2 Bomber gunner one like this: (jump to 3:10)

(nice pp effects for the view too)

You get all the box targets but to lock on it you have to maintain the crosshairs for a time into it.

using a system like the BF2 Bomber gunner one like this:

Why this complicated game must use something from simple game? You guys know something else exept BF? You want to see product for juvenile gamers? Maybe, lets make Stinger lock in 3 sec with fancy red square?

Stop being an idiot!

The simple game for juvenile gamers is more complicated than the complicated game in this department.

Why this complicated game must use something from simple game? You guys know something else exept BF? You want to see product for juvenile gamers? Maybe, lets make Stinger lock in 3 sec with fancy red square?

Thats exactly what we have now actually.

BF2´s system is way more advanced then the tab locking stuff we got now. Also as a heli gunner in BF2 you had to manually guide your missile by clicking on the screen to your target. It took real skill to hit a moving target. Would be awesome if BIS could implement something similar.

Thats exactly what we have now actually.

BF2´s system is way more advanced then the tab locking stuff we got now. Also as a heli gunner in BF2 you had to manually guide your missile by clicking on the screen to your target. It took real skill to hit a moving target. Would be awesome if BIS could implement something similar.

I would love for there to be some TV Guided Munitions. While not as popular as JDAMs, they would work well in this game in a sense of "balance" since JDAMs would just wreck the game with how easy it would be for one F-35 to JDAM the hell out of enemies. Plus I think needing to navigate them to target with a chance to miss would make it difficult and yet fun.

I would love for there to be some TV Guided Munitions. While not as popular as JDAMs, they would work well in this game in a sense of "balance" since JDAMs would just wreck the game with how easy it would be for one F-35 to JDAM the hell out of enemies. Plus I think needing to navigate them to target with a chance to miss would make it difficult and yet fun.

Exactly. Was a good feeling when you managed to kill a tank far far away that was also moving. As you said, hard but still fun!

Best feeling tho was when flying the heli solo, switching to gunner seat, firing the ATGM towards that incoming plane and killing it :D Hard as hell but you felt like a boss when you managed to pull it off!

But that´s not for this game :P

The community hates it.

So i think BIS needs to work on a new feature,not only to replace the current TAB locking,but to make the game less arcade and more "simulator like".Nothing too complicated ofc,since its not the appeal of the game.:)

Off-topic, I know, but why get so mad at a game that does something well? I swear, quite a few people on this forum get inexplicably mad at the very notion that other games can do things well when put beside their faultless god-game Arma. BF does a lot of things well that Arma currently cannot, and is now what, four years old? Do you not want to see procedural destruction or weapons resting too simply because BF does it well? The term 'complicated' isn't always a good thing, too. In fact, people tend to something is 'complicated' to express their disdain at it being more bother than it needs to be.

see procedural destruction

Not important for this game(I do not mind, I'm just a realist). And i don't see how some of the games make something else in so huge maps full of simulations. Resting? I hear they working on this. But "few second lock" when the guy upon G-force change monitors, refocusing.. no no. On this planet this is not good and not realistic.

How is procedural destruction "not important" in Arma? Are you kidding?

The simple game for juvenile gamers is more complicated than the complicated game in this department.

So you wanna say that Arma 2 + ACE less complicated than BF2. Ok. Do you play in final ARMA 3 game? You're one of those gifted people that likes to compare the non-existent?

Yes, we all want improvments, but not like in BF2. You got it? Or you need are picture?

---------- Post added at 21:57 ---------- Previous post was at 21:53 ----------

fujix

Important for what? This is combined arms game - you blow up the building, and now he is destructed. 2 stance. They can put physic in destruction process, but you waiting 5 years for new hardware. You want it? Or you know the magic words.

So you wanna say that Arma 2 + ACE less complicated than BF2. Ok. Do you play in final ARMA 3 game? You're one of those gifted people that likes to compare the non-existent?

Yes, we all want improvments, but not like in BF2. You got it? Or you need are picture?

---------- Post added at 21:57 ---------- Previous post was at 21:53 ----------

fujix

Important for what? This is combined arms game - you blow up the building, and now he is destructed. 2 stance. They can put physic in destruction process, but you waiting 5 years for new hardware. You want it? Or you know the magic words.

Well if you for example are hiding behind a small brick wall in a mp game, I want to be able to destroy the wall so I can blow your brains out :) Good enough reason?

And yes some aspects from BF series are more advanced then Arma. Tab locking helos in Arma is a no skill system. Press tab, fire missile and laugh. In Bf2 you had to manually guide your missile from the choppers monitor showing you the feed from the missiles camera.

How is this not more advanced and better then Arma´s current tab lock??

Tab locking helos in Arma is a no skill system.

Im not even look this way, because i knew and know today - its just basic junior stuff for ARMA 3.

Well if you for example are hiding behind a small brick wall in a mp game, I want to be able to destroy the wall so I can blow your brains out

But now, this wall can hide you from killing waves. I mean that system of wave is logic and real. And procedural destructions not only way to deliver damage through the walls. But wall it some kind of shield for soldier. What makes you think that in this situation his brains must blow up? Not fact.

I have BF games for this. These games are different according to the method of transmitting the reality of the gaming action. This leads to a different gameplay and imposes its own limitations. We were given the opportunity to assist in the development, but do not stop them from doing the same old ARMA.

Edited by Anachoretes

This ain't the ACE thread nor the Arma 2 sub-section.

We are discussing about VANILLA Arma 3, which for now (and probably ever) have a simplistic system taht could be enhanced by, for example, what was done in BF2 (as we don't ever will get complex stuff as in ACE).

So calm down and stop being a dick.

Edited by Smurf

Ironically Battlefield 3 can teach ArmA3 a few lessons in realism

Like turn speed limit on a belly

Or suppression fire (which we were promised back in 2011 but alas)

Or reactive armor on tanks

Or inability to carry unrealistic loadouts

TAB lock is another glaring issue that must go. It's just extremely awful and kills the game whenever there's anything with fire & forget missiles present.

Radar should be made at least somewhat realistic. E.g. if it's a plane then for example radar should be only forward facing instead of 360 degree which is really annoying as it's simply impossible to avoid detection in a vehicle.