Sign in to follow this  
Qosmius

helicopters to overpowered with this radar?

hi, i am just wondering why helicopters have this ridicolous lock on system to anything. i feel that the helicotpers here are waaay to overpowered than what is should be. come come a transport helicopter without any form for radar have 360 detection of any vehicles out to several km?

i hope this is getting fixed because it was exactly the same in arma 1 and 2..i wonder if they will keep that trend

There needs to be more counter measures, but its definitely not over powered. It's realistic, a bit to easy to do... but not "overpowered", that term really doesn't apply in ArmA.

There needs to be more counter measures, but its definitely not over powered. It's realistic, a bit to easy to do... but not "overpowered", that term really doesn't apply in ArmA.

It is as unrealistic as it can be, no helicopter has a magic "I see everything around me" radar

It is as unrealistic as it can be, no helicopter has a magic "I see everything around me" radar

Well, I was more speaking of the ability to lock on to targets from a distance and engage. True in this day and age no helicopter has those radar abilities, what about 20 years from now?

There definitely should be some realism work on radar in the game, but I'm not 100% sure how they could change it.

as helicopters work now..they can spot anything 360 degres to a couple of kms away..they can spam tab to make insta lock on without even seing the enemy..iin real life atleast you have to use your tv cam and lock onto the enemy manually before firing ur hellfire missile..here just use the magic radar to spot vehicles and tab it..done boom

there is no way that planes or helicopters have the ability to use radar on ground targets, its a joke. even simple transport helicopters in arma have this magic radar to see anything. i dont think it even exists anything like that in real life except for dedicated radar stations or recon aircraft

Well, I was more speaking of the ability to lock on to targets from a distance and engage. True in this day and age no helicopter has those radar abilities, what about 20 years from now?

There definitely should be some realism work on radar in the game, but I'm not 100% sure how they could change it.

Think about this: Everything that sends a signal is basically holding up a "shoot me" sign. If helicopters would have such a radar, everyone would target them with HARM Missiles. Nobody is using active radar unless he is in a safe distance from the enemy, or he needs it for weapon guidance.

Transport helicopters shouldn't have radars, but they should have RWR. So the radar display should remain, but it shouldn't show any vehicles, only show warnings when a lock on/missile launch is detected.

However, the attack choppers should have radars, today very few choppers have a radar(The Ah-64 Apache Longbow has a radar for example), but it's likely that in 2035 most choppers will have radars.

I do agree that radars should not detect ground targets, they're supposed to work only against air targets(and perhaps naval units). But in 2035, helicopters might be equipped with other sensors (EM sensors,heat,thermal, infrared,radio signal detection) etc, and all of the information from these sensors is relayed onto a single targeting and locking system, represented by a radar display.

Pretty sure the Apaches radar system is similar to ones in ArmA 3. They can see everything, prioritise targets and be ready to fire in seconds and send the data to any other Apaches so its not that unrealistic...

Unless there were to be a) a plausible explanation AND b) clarification of the actual game mechanic implemented, then I think one can readily assume that a heli with so called "radar" is unrealistic and a gimmick only.

yes, the apache have this so called radar thingy..but it is not infact a radar. it is more like an advanced gps unit that recevies data from other units about enemy units locations..and even so if it is a radar. how can you explain the every helicopter ingame has this feature? transport helis? where did they even hide the radar dish on the little bird?

---------- Post added at 11:03 ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 ----------

if helis get 360 radar i think it should just be fair that every vehicle gets anti missile launchers on the rooftops. they are even in use today, so i would guess 30 years in the future they would have implemented that on more vehicles

---------- Post added at 11:07 ---------- Previous post was at 11:03 ----------

something like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-Ri-kce6pA anti missile system

Link 16? Helicopters due to be integrated next, Apache-E has it already:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Link_16

Advanced air to ground radar already in test detects moving people as well as vehicles, Predator / Blackhawk:

http://www.lockheedmartin.co.uk/us/news/press-releases/2012/october/isgs-sar-gmti-1023.html

Apache Radar:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_AH-64_Apache#AH-64D

AESA Radar (low probability of intercept - see F-35):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AESA

Arma 3 is 2035? The technology already exists?

E8 Joint STARS image:

220px-GMTI_JSTARS.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raytheon_Sentinel

Edited by Mattar_Tharkari

No, its a radar, it gathers enemy units locations on its own.

Radar dish? What...

ArmA isn't about whats "fair" or "balance" so something can't be "overpowered" in a sense.

Sadly BI doesnt care. The CIT has many great, small, specific suggestions - A3 progress: zero.

;2422053']Sadly BI doesnt care. The CIT has many great' date=' small, specific suggestions - A3 progress: zero.[/quote']

i will make a ticket for this iusse as soon as the beta is officially released. let's hope the devs finally see, that we need a better radar/targeting system for aircrafts.

Link 16? Helicopters due to be integrated next, Apache-E has it already:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Link_16

Advanced air to ground radar already in test detects moving people as well as vehicles, Predator / Blackhawk:

http://www.lockheedmartin.co.uk/us/news/press-releases/2012/october/isgs-sar-gmti-1023.html

Apache Radar:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_AH-64_Apache#AH-64D

AESA Radar (low probability of intercept - see F-35):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AESA

Arma 3 is 2035? The technology already exists?

E8 Joint STARS image:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e7/GMTI_JSTARS.jpg/220px-GMTI_JSTARS.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raytheon_Sentinel

And by your definition the cfounter technology also already exists in Arma 3, that mean better RWRs. And that means that no combat pilot will fly around with a non stop active radar.

The magic radar as we have it in Arma is simply unrealistic, especially if we consider that it has a 360° angle.

We should have laser designators as a support tool. They should mark enemy vehicles on heli radar for 60 seconds or so.

ok so the apache has a radar then..you can see it from the pictures that big bulb over the rotor blades, google some pics and you will eventually find it..looks like a circle looking unit above the rotor blades. but yeah, i think its about time that something gets done..

YOU guys cannot use it as an excuse that this is 2035 and blablabl then it must be like that...this situation has been in the arma series since forever..not only for arma 3.

arma 1 had it...arma 2 had it...and now arma3? if people really think it is funny to have a godlike radar on every flying thing in this game then let them have it. it will just end with that noone will be using boats, cars, apcs and tanks since they are so crap compared to helicopters.

i have been playing for like 90 hours or so of arma alpha and in all the servers i play where there are enemy helos with guided missiles, for example stratis battle server..there is always some helo that spots your apc miles out before you can even see the helicopter and boom you are dead.

atleast give us some better protection on vehicles then to deploy some countermeasures..every time i see a missile flying against me while trying to shoot down the attacking helicopter i am just thinking oh well im dead and there is nothing i can do about that

Doppler radar can detect vehicles and human targets. The helicopters could also utilize Lidar or a something in orbit to that gives real time data to ground forces.

---------- Post added at 14:24 ---------- Previous post was at 14:22 ----------

ok so the apache has a radar then..you can see it from the pictures that big bulb over the rotor blades, google some pics and you will eventually find it..looks like a circle looking unit above the rotor blades. but yeah, i think its about time that something gets done..

YOU guys cannot use it as an excuse that this is 2035 and blablabl then it must be like that...this situation has been in the arma series since forever..not only for arma 3.

arma 1 had it...arma 2 had it...and now arma3? if people really think it is funny to have a godlike radar on every flying thing in this game then let them have it. it will just end with that noone will be using boats, cars, apcs and tanks since they are so crap compared to helicopters.

i have been playing for like 90 hours or so of arma alpha and in all the servers i play where there are enemy helos with guided missiles, for example stratis battle server..there is always some helo that spots your apc miles out before you can even see the helicopter and boom you are dead.

atleast give us some better protection on vehicles then to deploy some countermeasures..every time i see a missile flying against me while trying to shoot down the attacking helicopter i am just thinking oh well im dead and there is nothing i can do about that

Do you work with your entire team? Like directing your attack chopper to take out theres? And receiving information on we're the enemy are? Did you ever fire your APC's counter measures?

Why do you want the game changed for the single mission you like playing?

Edited by ProGamer

or you could simply cooperate with your mates, so they will tell you when the heli is destroyed. Going with a tank to gunships territory is a suicide... almost always. I've played on stratis battlefield, and gunship is not a problem if you have guys with aa cooperating with you.

The E8 was first deployed in 1991....

The information is relayed in near-real time to the US Army's common ground stations via the secure jam-resistant surveillance and control data link (SCDL) and to other ground C4I nodes beyond line-of-sight via ultra high frequency satellite communications.

Your view of modern battle is somewhat outdated?

And by your definition the cfounter technology also already exists in Arma 3, that mean better RWRs. And that means that no combat pilot will fly around with a non stop active radar.

The magic radar as we have it in Arma is simply unrealistic, especially if we consider that it has a 360° angle.

Is it radar? As arma is a battlefield simulation and by placing a unit on the map you create a side with a side HQ, is it some form of advanced link 16? There is no need to have radar on when the tactical display is updated from other sources? The E8 J-STARS overlay could be transmitted to every vehicle, aircraft and commander. Maybe by 2035 the E8 will be replaced by a satellite? The Russians already have nuclear powered SAR radar in space.

How is this different from the vehicle display?:

E8 Joint STARS overlay.

220px-GMTI_JSTARS.jpg

It can be transmitted in real time to the whole theatre by satellite?

ye, most of the times i hang back. but you know cod players are coming into arma and suiciding through enemy lines to get of 1 or 2 missiles before shoot down..and sometimes that unlucky person to recieve the missile is you because of the magic lock on ability, and that can sometimes be an annoyance

ye, most of the times i hang back. but you know cod players are coming into arma and suiciding through enemy lines to get of 1 or 2 missiles before shoot down..and sometimes that unlucky person to recieve the missile is you because of the magic lock on ability, and that can sometimes be an annoyance

Or an enemy squad has an AT or AA guy and they are infiltrating to capture objectives and change the lines of battle.

yes, but i am talking about the helicopters and every planes ability to magicly see anything in 360 degres himself and insta lock onto everything. and the receiving end has no chance of survival because of lacking armor system or ground countermeasures such as trophy system

The fact is normally no ground troops are sent in until air superiority has been achieved because attack aircraft are the top predator.

yes, but i am talking about the helicopters and every planes ability to magicly see anything in 360 degres himself and insta lock onto everything. and the receiving end has no chance of survival because of lacking armor system or ground countermeasures such as trophy system

Already explained how it works in real life on the previous page, the insta-lock thing needs some work, that is the real problem. Someone scripted a trophy type system in arma 2 - maybe it can be ported to A3?