Sign in to follow this  
xxnewguyxx

Arma 3 beta helicopter speed

Hello everyone,

I have found that in the beta of arma 3 the CH-49,AH-99,UH-80 and the MI-48 are very fast in their speed,

if you just lean forward at a Alt of 50-100 you can come to a speed of 300.

When you did this on Arma 2 you would go up to maybe 100 or something.

I would just like to know if you guys see the same? and how you think?

I hate it my self just because i think it feels clunky and weird haha,

Sorry if this is wrong place just want to know what people think and if they have experienced it.

Sincerely

newguy

it's future, so technology is more advanced. helicopters are getting faster.

Besides that, 300 km/h isn't even thááát fast for a chopper.

The 'little bird' (can't remember name in game) is the only slow chopper.

I think they did base the performance near the real world equivalent helicopters.

Many twin engine helicopter max speeds are around 350's however many will say that the DO NOT EXCEED limit is well below that otherwise you run into the nasty blade stall and become a multi million brick.

That said, helicopters do accelerate way too fast.

On the other hand, choppers have speed limits because of the laws of nature. I'm not sure if the maximum possible speed is fixed or if it depends on the design of the chopper though, but however, it makes increasing the choppers' maximum speed the harder the faster they become. There are great vids on YT explaining the reason of speed limit:

Essential background information:

The phenomenom itself:

Speed varies based on many things, weather conditions such as wind, temperature (especially heat), environment (IE sea vs desert), overall weight pertaining to fuel amount,avionics, kits, and other cargo (supplies, people, weaponry).

300kph is around 186mph... honestly the helicopters are going the appropriate speed, its just the small island that makes it seem to fast. Wait till you get on Altis, wont seem that way anymore :)

The second RAH-66 received mission equipment and more powerful T800-LHT-801 engines and continued flight testing from 23 May 2002, including testing of night vision and weapon systems, until 2003.[6] During testing, the Comanche cruised at 162 knots (186 mph; 300 km/h), a "dash speed" of 172 knots (198 mph; 319 km/h), as well as demonstrating an ability to make a 180° turn in under 5 seconds.

So the Comanche it self was pretty damn quick!

EvenLease, As said above by NodUnit, Without temperature, altitude etc and without knowing IF that was at combat weight etc that is NOT really proof of anything other than just on that day in that configuration that is unknown its purported to have managed to do X speed.

By the standards of helicopters, the RAH-66 at its best had an abysmal climb rate in the region of 1450ft/min (7.366m/sec), had a relatively low Service ceiling vs. the helicopters it would be around and had problems with lack of power at maximum combat weight, yet people seem to blindly/conveniently forget it was cancelled and IF it was even remotely as good as some believe then why did two big companies in aviation not pursue it further, simply because it was ultimately floored.

It was cancelled because it was to be an armed reconnaissance helicopter and UAV's overshadowed the development and the need for it. They were cheaper and didn't put lives at risk.

The only thing unrealistic about the current choppers, aside from the handling, is the acceleration.

Only thing that bugged me the most is that the rotor blades don't actually move when you bank or move around except the alpha choppers one.