Sign in to follow this  
Beerkan

Converting Alpha Missions to run in Beta

THIS IS AN OLD THREAD AND MOSTLY OBSOLETE, AS THE FULL GAME HAS NOW BEEN RELEASED.

N.B. Before following this tutorial be aware there are now a couple of utilites ( one by Dingo-J and another by Rockhount) that amalgamates my text files into one.

Both these utilities will convert an ALPHA created Mission to run in the BETA. See post #14 on page 2 for Utility By Dingo-J that wil convert a mission.sqm file.

And another utility by Rockhount that will convert ALL files in the mission folder including mission.sqn and scripts. See Post #43.

Both these utilities use my ChangeText.txt file. So make sure you've got the latest version.

If you don't want to use either of these utilities, then you can follow my suggestion below, and use the search and replace function of your fav editor. In the following example I use Notepad ++

Since I just updated to the development beta, I thought I'd post how I got most of my (100+) missions created using the Alpha editor to run with the new Beta updates.

Using info from the Alpha-Development-branch-changelog got me started, but my missions still failed to work as there were some vital classnames missing, and all I got was this message in the Beta.

20130622_140519.jpg

So using this rather marvellous post on How to use Notepad++ To search and replace in all files.

I searched and replaced each item in the following lists with it's replacement:-

N.B. If there's anything I've missed or made a mistake in the following lists please let me know.

Particularly in the Class Mission Names.

Be aware, running this search and replace on missions and scripts that are ALREADY Beta compatible, may mess them up.

(I should also add that obviously this will NOT work for any mission file that is in .pbo format. You will need to extract the mission files first using a utility like ExtractPboGui.

Get it here ExtractPboGui2.rar)

Weapon Replacement Names(Could have errors)

arifle_Khaybar_C_ACOg_point_F -> arifle_Katiba_C_ACO_pointer_F
arifle_Khaybar_C_ACOg_F -> arifle_Katiba_C_ACO_F
arifle_Khaybar_ACOg_point_F -> arifle_Katiba_ACO_pointer_F
arifle_Khaybar_ARCO_point_F -> arifle_Katiba_ARCO_pointer_F
arifle_Khaybar_ACOg_F -> arifle_Katiba_ACO_F
arifle_Khaybar_GL_ACOg_point_F -> arifle_Katiba_GL_ACO_pointer_F
arifle_MX_point_F -> arifle_MX_pointer_F
arifle_MX_Holo_point_F -> arifle_MX_Holo_pointer_F
arifle_MX_Hamr_point_F -> arifle_MX_Hamr_pointer_F
arifle_MX_ACO_point_F -> arifle_MX_ACO_pointer_F
arifle_MX_GL_ACO_point_F -> arifle_MX_GL_ACO_pointer_F
arifle_MX_GL_Hamr_point_F -> arifle_MX_GL_Hamr_pointer_F
arifle_MXC_Holo_point_F -> arifle_MXC_Holo_pointer_F
arifle_MX_SW_Hamr_point_F -> arifle_MX_SW_Hamr_pointer_F
arifle_MXM_Hamr_point_F -> arifle_MXM_Hamr_pointer_F
arifle_TRG20_ACO_point_F -> arifle_TRG20_ACO_pointer_F
arifle_TRG21_ACO_point_F -> arifle_TRG21_ACO_pointer_F
arifle_TRG21_ARCO_point_F -> arifle_TRG21_ARCO_pointer_F
arifle_TRG21_GL_ACO_point_F -> arifle_TRG21_GL_ACO_pointer_F
LMG_Mk200_ARCO_F -> LMG_Mk200_MRCO_F
LMG_Mk200_ARCO_pointer_F -> LMG_Mk200_pointer_F
arifle_SDAR_ACOg_F -> arifle_SDAR_F
arifle_SDAR_ACO_F -> arifle_SDAR_F
arifle_SDAR_ARCO_point_F -> arifle_SDAR_F
arifle_SDAR_Nstalker_point_F -> arifle_SDAR_F
srifle_EBR_MRCO_point_F -> srifle_EBR_MRCO_pointer_F
srifle_EBR_ARCO_point_F -> srifle_EBR_ARCO_pointer_F
arifle_TRG20_ACOg_F -> arifle_TRG20_ACO_F
arifle_TRG20_ACOg_point_F -> arifle_TRG20_ACO_pointer_F
arifle_TRG20_ACOg_flash_snds_F -> arifle_TRG20_ACO_flash_F
arifle_TRG21_ACOg_point_F -> arifle_TRG21_ACO_pointer_F
arifle_TRG21_GL_ACOg_point_F -> arifle_TRG21_GL_ACO_pointer_F
arifle_Mk20C_ACOg_F -> arifle_Mk20C_ACO_F
arifle_Mk20_ACOG_F -> arifle_Mk20_MRCO_F
arifle_Mk20_GL_ACOG_point_F -> arifle_Mk20_GL_MRCO_pointer_F
arifle_Mk20_GL_ACOgrn_F -> arifle_Mk20_GL_ACO_F
srifle_EBR_ACOg_point_F -> srifle_EBR_ARCO_pointer_F
srifle_EBR_Mark_F -> srifle_EBR_MRCO_pointer_F

Vehicle Replacement Names

MH9_Base_F -> Heli_Light_01_base_F
B_MH9_F -> B_Heli_Light_01_F
AH9_Base_F -> Heli_Light_01_armed_base_F
B_AH9_F -> B_Heli_Light_01_armed_F
Rubber_duck_base -> Rubber_duck_base_F
B_Assaultboat -> B_Boat_Transport_01_F
O_Assaultboat -> O_Boat_Transport_01_F
Rescue_duck_base -> Rescue_duck_base_F
Speedboat_Base -> Boat_Armed_01_base_F
Speedboat_minigun_Base -> Boat_Armed_01_minigun_base_F
B_SpeedBoat -> B_Boat_Armed_01_minigun_F
O_SpeedBoat -> O_Boat_Armed_01_hmg_F
Hunter_Base -> MRAP_01_base_F
Hunter_RCWS_Base -> MRAP_01_gmg_base_F
Hunter_HMG_Base -> MRAP_01_hmg_base_F
B_Hunter_F -> B_MRAP_01_F
B_Hunter_RCWS_F -> B_MRAP_01_gmg_F
B_Hunter_HMG_F -> B_MRAP_01_hmg_F
Ifrit_Base -> MRAP_02_base_F
Ifrit_MG_Base -> MRAP_02_hmg_base_F
Ifrit_GMG_Base -> MRAP_02_gmg_base_F
O_Ifrit_F -> O_MRAP_02_F
O_Ifrit_MG_F -> O_MRAP_02_hmg_F
O_Ifrit_GMG_F -> O_MRAP_02_gmg_F
Offroad_Base -> Offroad_01_base_F
c_offroad -> C_Offroad_01_F
Quadbike_Base_F -> Quadbike_01_base_F
B_Quadbike_F -> B_Quadbike_01_F
O_Quadbike_F -> O_Quadbike_01_F
Mk6_Mortar_Base -> Mortar_01_base_F
B_Mk6 -> B_Mortar_01_F
O_Mk6 -> O_Mortar_01_F
B_Mk6Mortar_Support -> B_Mortar_01_support_F
B_Mk6Mortar_Wpn -> B_Mortar_01_weapon_F
O_Ka60_F _> O_Heli_Light_02_F
O_Ka60_Unarmed_F _> O_Heli_Light_02_unarmed_F

Class Mission replacement names

A3_Boat_F_Assault_Boat -> A3_Boat_F_Boat_Armed_01
A3_Boat_F_Speedboat -> A3_Boat_F_Boat_Transport_01
A3_Air_F_MH9 -> A3_Air_F_Heli_Light_01
a3_air_f_ka60 ->  A3_Air_F_Heli_Light_02
A3_Soft_F_Galkin -> A3_Soft_F_MRAP_02
A3_Soft_F_Ifrit -> A3_Soft_F_MRAP_02
a3_soft_f_hunter -> A3_Soft_F_MRAP_01
A3_Soft_F_Offroad -> A3_Soft_F_Offroad_01
A3_Static_F_Mk6 _> A3_Static_F_Mortar_01

Weapon Ammo Class changes

30Rnd_65x39_case_mag -> 30Rnd_65x39_caseless_mag 
30Rnd_65x39_case_mag_Tracer -> 30Rnd_65x39_caseless_mag_Tracer
20Rnd_762x45_Mag -> 20Rnd_762x51_Mag

Scripting Command Changes

removeItemFromPrimaryWeapon -> removePrimaryWeaponItem

---------- Post added at 03:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:40 PM ----------

As way of a helping you check your mission files will work in the new beta, download this mission file and try to load it in the beta.

It will fail with errors.

When you've done a search and replace using the above lists, the mission will load without any errors.

Alpha Editor mission file

(The mission is not meant to be played, it's just for testing purposes)

Edited by Beerkan
Update to exclude updating .pbo files

Did they change the magazine names too? I keep getting an error about no entry for 30rnd_65x39_case_mag but I don't see magazine listed by DnA in the dev branch thread

Did they change the magazine names too? I keep getting an error about no entry for 30rnd_65x39_case_mag but I don't see magazine listed by DnA in the dev branch thread
Yep getting the same error.

Could these have changed to caseless only? (Will update first post when confirmed)

30Rnd_65x39_case_mag -> 30Rnd_65x39_caseless_mag

30Rnd_65x39_case_mag_Tracer -> 30Rnd_65x39_caseless_mag_Tracer

Just added these too, although these changed in an earlier alpha update.

20Rnd_762x45_Mag -> 20Rnd_762x51_Mag

Edited by Beerkan

Oh how I <3 you right now Beerkan. I got everything but the class mission names by the time I went to sleep at 3am updating my mission.

Also worth mentioning that there are some script command changes you should look out for as well. Also some new additions.

Script command changes
Script command "items" returns only items that are not magazines, explosives, grenades and that are not linked to unit
Script command "addItem" returns error message "No entry...!" if invalid config name is used
Script command "removeAllItems" removes only items listed by command "items"
Script command "weapons" lists also weapons in inventory
Script command "removeItemFromPrimaryWeapon" renamed to "removePrimaryWeaponItem"
Returned array of script command "assignedItems" does not contain headgear and goggles
New script command "removeAllPrimaryWeaponItems"
New script command "removeHandgunItem"
New script command "removeAllHandgunItems"
New script command "canAdd"
New script command "primaryWeaponMagazine"
New script command "secondaryWeaponMagazine"
New script command "handgunMagazine"

Edited by DrMayhemMD

All works great thanks so much!

One thing that you havent listed is the sniper class I think.

"You cannot play/edit..... .... that has been deleted.sniper_soldier"

After changing classnames, you may need to make addOns[]={} and addOnsAuto[] ={} empty in mission.sqm, to start the mission successfully.

Getting this: T1Nuo1e.png

and this too:Xzg1kLq.png

Any suggestions? I may fix it before I get a response but just curious. I'll update it if I get it....

Edited by DrMayhemMD

Looks like you need to add these lines to your mission.sqm file. (Take a copy first)

Add this to the "addOns[]=" section

"A3_Boat_F_Boat_Armed_01",

And add this to the "addOnsAuto[]="

"A3_Boat_F_Boat_Armed_01",

http://i.imgur.com/Xzg1kLq.png

Any suggestions? I may fix it before I get a response but just curious. I'll update it if I get it....

Edited by Beerkan

Ok part 2 was solved. Must of hit "Find All on Page" instead of "Find All in All Opened". But on the first part of m inquiry I did have the boat class listed in both as you mentioned. I do have some other weird issue going on with my mission.sqm though. Cause I have all the classes listed yet when I attempt to connect

2013/06/22, 16:24:56 Warning Message: You cannot play/edit this mission; it is dependent on downloadable content that has been deleted.A3_Air_F_Heli_Light_01, A3_Air_F_Heli_Light_02, A3_Soft_F_MRAP_01, A3_Boat_F_Boat_Armed_01, A3_Static_F_Mortar_01, A3_Boat_F_Boat_Transport_01, A3_Soft_F_MRAP_02

It's actually telling me those addons are missing, even though I have another Beta Server for RP/Life up and it works fine. :/

Edited by DrMayhemMD

Since I just updated to the development beta, I thought I'd post how I got most of my (100+) missions created using the Alpha editor to run with the new Beta updates.

Using info from the got me started, but my missions still failed to work in the Beta with the message.

Hi Beerkan,

I've written a small utility in visual basic that will convert Arma 3 Alpha Missions to Beta. It uses a txt file using the information you have supplied here, that can be easily updated by anyone as these weapon and other name changes are discovered. It's a very easy to use - no scripting or dos, just click a couple buttons.

I wanted to make sure you would be cool with me releasing this since really it is nothing without the work you have done here! Thank you for that!

I wanted to give credit since again, the whole thing only works because of what you have done. If you'd like to take a look at it, I'd be happy to send it through email so you can test it/see how it works.

Sorry, I'd PM you but I'm too new to the board so it won't let me.

Have a great night,

Dingo-J

Thank you sir - very helpful. My missions now fixed.

Something else:If you have a mission with a trigger grouped to a world item (building etc) you will find that the trigger is now grouped to something completely different. They must have changed the ID numbers on world items. Regrouping it in the Editor will fix the problem.

---------- Post added at 11:42 ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 ----------

Issue: Mk 20 and TAVOR silencers... I can't get them to attach to gun. Is there a new classname?

Hi Beerkan,

I've written a small utility in visual basic that will convert Arma 3 Alpha Missions to Beta. It uses a txt file using the information you have supplied here, that can be easily updated by anyone as these weapon and other name changes are discovered. It's a very easy to use - no scripting or dos, just click a couple buttons.

I wanted to make sure you would be cool with me releasing this since really it is nothing without the work you have done here! Thank you for that!

I wanted to give credit since again, the whole thing only works because of what you have done. If you'd like to take a look at it, I'd be happy to send it through email so you can test it/see how it works.

Sorry, I'd PM you but I'm too new to the board so it won't let me.

Have a great night,

Dingo-J

Hi,

Yes that sound like an excellent utility, and yes you're welcome to the list. It's based on the Alpha Development branch changelog. I just added a few things.

Just one caveat I would ask. :notify:

Can you also post the source, so we can see what your program does?

I wouldn't wish to be endorsing a program that rips game codes or deletes windows files :butbut:

And I hope you're not offended that I asked.

Other than that thanks for your contribution.

---------- Post added at 01:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:35 PM ----------

All works great thanks so much!

One thing that you havent listed is the sniper class I think.

"You cannot play/edit..... .... that has been deleted.sniper_soldier"

My sample Alpha created mission.sqm file includes Snipers, so the change list should cater for them.

Okay!! Beerkan has spent many hours updating his list and I have the application done!

Note that was made using visual basic and so will install microsoft .netframe in order to run the converter.

You can download the Alpha to Beta converter here:

http://home.comcast.net/~ortmannj/ARMA3/ARMA3_Alpha_to_Beta.zip

You can view the read me file before downloading here:

http://home.comcast.net/~ortmannj/ARMA3/Read Me First.pdf

Please let me know right away if you have any issues with the application. You can contact me here, or at dingo-j@hotmail.com

Email is faster because I check that more often.

Hopefully you will find this app useful in getting your Alpha missions up and running in Beta!!

Be sure to give Beerkan a big thanks for putting in the time and effort to get us this list of changes!!

Dingo-J

Converter is done - just waiting for a moderator to approve my post with the links! :)

Converter is done - just waiting for a moderator to approve my post with the links! :)

Thanks for this, I hope it gets approved, would be very helpful.

Jabbajaws77

Works a treat Dingo J. Now if only updating to the dev Beta didn't break my Daiyuo Island missions with the PLA. Config.bin nightmares...sigh. Hope they update that mod!

Nice work Dingo-J :bounce3:

Would you be interested to put more effort into your tool?

Like batch processing, pbo as input, not limited to sqm.

Awesome work.

Would it be possible to code up an ARMA 2/CO to ARMA 3 mission converter for use with Kju's AIA? :D

There should be no need for a converter as AiA provides missing class mapping if necessary.

Compatibility problems come from change in scripting (removed/changed SQF commands) and overall engine changes.

I meant for converting A2/CO missions/campaigns to ARMA 3 assets such as making a 2035 version in the ARMA 3 universe.

Think replaying Black Hawk Down but with the new ARMA 3 assets... it would still be an incredible experience but a variation for the future. We would still need AIA to load in previous assets such as A2/CO content maps and such.

Well I dont think you find enough suitable replacements. The weapon and vehicle assets are quite limited.

The change of weaponry and even weapon classes/replacements would be another big problem.

If you want to play A1/A2/OA campaigns with A3 units and vehicles, the right approach would be to make unit/weapon (model) replacement configs, rather than modifying the missions itself.

Ok heres a couple more, some maybe from a previous build as i know i had a few missions that i had not updated

Sign_Arrow_Location_F -> Sign_Arrow_Large_F
RoadBarrier_Long -> RoadBarrier_F
B_Mk6Mortar_Wpn -> B_Mortar_01_weapon_F (tubes - mortar bag)
B_Mk6Mortar_Support -> B_Mortar_01_support_F (bipod - mortar bag)
rampconcrete -> "Land_RampConcrete_F","Land_RampConcreteHigh_F"
Land_Shoot_House_Door_f -> wheres me door? missing since v.60 :(

Is there a complete list of all the current classes since the ArmA3 Beta was released so I can update the gun store in my mission files with the new weapons etc

Jabbajaws77

Is there a complete list of all the current classes since the ArmA3 Beta was released so I can update the gun store in my mission files with the new weapons etc

Jabbajaws77

I've been looking for that too, so I can map the old weapons to the new ones, and include that in my first post. (and update Dingo-J script)

Checkout here... Six Config BrowserArmA3 Classnames

Edited by Beerkan