Sign in to follow this  
granQ

Generic tank, airplane sounds needed

I guess many addon makers like me got a model with textures that looks good but there is no sound.

Many used arma2 default sounds but its bit annoying and right now for arma3 we don't even have all sounds (tanks, airplanes) and this is why I personally haven't pushed out any fighters or tanks.

I guess i ain't the only one..

so, this is a call for the whole community, we need sounds!

It have to be free from copyright issues, and easy for all modmakers to include in their addons.

In other words, ripping them from youtube or similar isn't ok.

We need specific sounds like threads, engine idle, acceleration and so on.

So anyone out there that could help?

May I ask why ripping from youtube isn't ok? I mean, so long as you're not ripping some sounds that are specifically forbidden from being used in mods or whatever, I don't see why would that cause any copyright problems.

It works the other way around, if its specifically granted to use it from youtube then you might, but if nothing is mentioned. You can't.

It works the other way around, if its specifically granted to use it from youtube then you might, but if nothing is mentioned. You can't.

I've already seen a lot of mods taking content from youtube videos and I'm sure almost all of them took it without proper permission. Why would it be a problem if you see a video of some rifle firing and decide to use the shots in your mod? It's not like you're claiming it your own or making money from it. I think in most cases simply crediting the person who made that thing would be enough. Unless a specific restriction of not using it anywhere without permission was made or the person wishes that the modder removes it, it should be all good.

if some people break that law doesn't make it legal for everyone else to just go ahead and take those sounds.

So while a lot people seem to do it, without problem, I think a thread with those types of sounds would be closed down..

It probably might be closed due to breaking law but I think only in case this was genuine stealing of some commercial work on which someone has intended to be making money. Like if you ripped another game's model. But I don't think it should be a problem with youtube. Again, so long as the original author didn't put any restrictions on use or doesn't want it taken down. And if you're not making money off someone else's creation without permission it's not really breaking law.

If modders mod for free and share their work also for free, then the resources are severely limited and I'd say youtube is one important place to get things.

I mean if you think about it, then the whole modding thing is in most cases breaking the law. If you make an M4 you're technically breaking a law unless you pay Colt for the license to use it in the game or rename it and change some things in the model. Yet we see models of real guns and vehicles. Do their manufacturers care about it? No.

If I can add my two cents, It would be great if all addon developers implemented HD audio and realistic sound to their models and releases.

Master, I agree.. now get me some HD audio and realistic sound and I will implement it before tuesday.

granq , the idea is great, but you should put up a list, with sounds they are be needed and also name them properly. so you have a nice struckture that is easy to use.

than everybody who is into sounds can pick the one that he can do , and or make new sounds in exact the way they should be named. also the format should be standart,

so you dont have to convert like hell.

for a list/ struckture , names you can use the google-exel thing, and people makinge sounds you give them permission to write in that document, and they fill out what they have done.

strukture is the key ;)

and btw, if this is getting in the right direktion i can do some sounds ;)

sorry for my bad german/english ...