recoiless

CPU / GPU low activity

Specs:

i5 2400 stock clock (Turbo @ 3.4GHz)

HD 7950 O/C @ 925/1575

8GB ram

Both CPU / GPU activity stay at around 50%

w/ both High/Very high/Ultra settings FPS sits at 20-30

Is there anything causing the activity stuck at 50%?

Thanks

Unfortunately no you can't do much about it...your cpu bottlenecked as is pretty much everyone else who has a high end gpu.

Unfortunately no you can't do much about it...your cpu bottlenecked as is pretty much everyone else who has a high end gpu.

I seriously doubt his i5 is bottlenecking his GPU.

@recoiless Try going back to stock speed on your GPU, your Overclocking could be a cause for this. If not, check your Drivers. Also unpark all your cores as the I series of CPU's are supposed to spread the load evenly and if half your cores are parked then it can't do that.

<--- video on how to unpark your cores!

What? Very difficult of CPU bottleneck his GPU. Only if he play at 800x600 resolution.

it's not his cpu that's causing the bottleneck, but his cpu is being bottlenecked. They will close this thread. See the closed sticky in this section, and every other closed thread remotely related. Resolution changes, settings changes, etc. will not make any difference. Only Bohemia can fix this.

Only thing you can do at this point is vote for the issue and post in the bug tracker... and, hope...

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=716

Plain and simple, it's the engine and not your hardware. It won't be fixed because it would require a rewrite of all SQF code into another scripting language that is multithreading friendly, probably Java since they were looking to incorporate it. At this point, I doubt it would happen seeing as how about 70% or so of this game is written in SQF and that percentage grows with every update.

Plain and simple, it's the engine and not your hardware. It won't be fixed because it would require a rewrite of all SQF code into another scripting language that is multithreading friendly, probably Java since they were looking to incorporate it. At this point, I doubt it would happen seeing as how about 70% or so of this game is written in SQF and that percentage grows with every update.

Finaly someone say whole truth and nothing but the truth.

There is no bottleneck's here. Did anybody who was talking about bottlenecking CPU or GPU know what real bottleneck means?

Bottle neck could only happened if CPU or GPU reach 100% and opposite is way above it. If CPU is 100% and GPU is 50% than we could talk about CPU is bottleneck because full usage is not good to fill GPU with some data.

All those smart asses who was talking about bottlenecks and intel superiority over AMD push PlanetSide to switch from FX8150 to i5 4670k and nothing happened problems are the same. No benefit from new CPU at all.

How could you explain this?

ArmA 3 unfortunately on my big disappointment still using 20 years old engine from OFP written in Visual Basic with some cosmetic more visual improvements which highly depend on hardware you got.

Bis reach the cap with ArmA 2 and now there is no reasonable hardware which will save the day and run ArmA 3 in the dissent performance in MP.

BIS didn't fix it in ArmA 2 and will never fix it in ArmA 3 just simply because they go to far with game developing on wrong way and they pass point of return long time ago.

And forget about the Java, will not happened in ArmA 3 at all or will be just superficial usage with re encoding to sqf which will made more damage than usage.

That is the only facts and truth about ArmA 3. All this good stuff they implement it could not change general evaluation of ArmA 3 as failure.

Hi all

I am a long time lover of arma well since OFP days.

BIS to me are a great developer but this concerns the hell out of me if I must be honest.

I was really hopeing arma3 would be optimized better I know its beta but tbh I to dont think we will see any improvements over the current state of the engine...maybe a few patches here and there but nothing like it should be.

I hope BIS prove me wrong and do some thing that improves arma3`s terrible performance.

I know nothing about code but I to see terrible FPS drop with very little CPU and GPU usage so my hardware is all so not being used as it should.

I am not cussing BIS (though I am very very upset arma3 got released in the state it did seeing as arma2 has the same issue and we was told it cant be fixed due the engine limitaions) I am just gutted.

OFP/ARMA series is the only games I truly love and now I cant even play arma3 with out it turning into a slide show.

Please BIS just tell us more about what your doing with this can it be fixed or will you turn around in a monthes time and say what ya did about arma2 :( at least I will be able to move on in my life and wait for arma4 hope fully on a new eninge :P.

Thanks

there is supposed to be a blog post coming from them about performance issues (what they say they have done, and what they say they will do).

The language they choose will probably be the indicator as to whether or not this will be genuinely addressed, or just band-aided as much as they can working with the limitations of the old foundation the game is built on.

there is supposed to be a blog post coming from them about performance issues (what they say they have done, and what they say they will do).

The language they choose will probably be the indicator as to whether or not this will be genuinely addressed, or just band-aided as much as they can working with the limitations of the old foundation the game is built on.

did you see this medic? it wont help now but might in the future :)

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?157096-Software-Data-Spreading-Leveraging-Distributed-Caches-to-Improve-Single-Thread-Perfo&p=2419978#post2419978

like i said i have no clue about codeing etc.

is there any pro coders here in this very forum if so please have you got some ideas as to what is going on within the arma3 engine.

its a shame but what would be cool is if bis say here is the source code (is that right?) please assist us with this performance issue.

i understand why they dont but if they turn around in the near future and say look we cant fix it same problem as arma2 had engine limitation then im going to walk as there will be no point at all in me trying to play in its current state as gutting as that will be for me becuase i love arma :(

here is the thread for this issue http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?147533-Low-CPU-utilization-amp-Low-FPS

the engine is bottlenecking the cpu (to roughly 50-60%) and the cpu is bottlenecking the gpu. Its simple to verify, downclock the cpu and look how gpu-utilization go´s down. It is only a little bit complicated because it depends on the settings too. Some settings eats cpu-ressources and some settings eats gpu-ressources. Simple and plain. The rest is the brain making the right conclusions :p

for example one conclusion: put tons of AI in editor and looks how gpu-utilization go´s down in relation to empty editor: the ai "eats" cpu-ressources so it cuts gpu-usage.

Edited by JumpingHubert

hi jump i did follow that from from day one since arma3 got released in is alpha state.

i was so optimistic for arma3 running well i thought they would not release arma3 with the same issue as arma2 surely.

how wrong i was.

ya get a few ai going and bam slide show time.

there has to be a fix for this i would have been happy for bis to release arma3 next year if it was because they where re coding the engine

Sorry, I should clarify my post. When I said "language", I just meant, the wording they use in the upcoming blog post will probably tell us whether this will actually be fixed or not (on release or some point in the future before an arma 4) if ever.

But, that is in interesting read. Thanks for sharing.

Sorry, I should clarify my post. When I said "language", I just meant, the wording they use in the upcoming blog post will probably tell us whether this will actually be fixed or not (on release or some point in the future before an arma 4) if ever.

But, that is in interesting read. Thanks for sharing.

no worry's mate I understood you, I was just showing you those links because it looks like just what RV4 needs :):) but then again the dev's would have to confirm or deny that that program can work with RV4...but it is a nice thought to think the performance edge could go up 3 fold :)

here is the thread for this issue http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?147533-Low-CPU-utilization-amp-Low-FPS

the engine is bottlenecking the cpu (to roughly 50-60%) and the cpu is bottlenecking the gpu. Its simple to verify, downclock the cpu and look how gpu-utilization go´s down. It is only a little bit complicated because it depends on the settings too. Some settings eats cpu-ressources and some settings eats gpu-ressources. Simple and plain. The rest is the brain making the right conclusions :p

for example one conclusion: put tons of AI in editor and looks how gpu-utilization go´s down in relation to empty editor: the ai "eats" cpu-ressources so it cuts gpu-usage.

First let me say I'm not countering your post or anything, It just is a good example of the actual problem at hand. That's why I'm quoting you.

Here's the problem, CPU resources don't change in that same example because the engine, not the CPU, is already bottlenecked even with an empty editor. The simple fact you have to look at is that the only difference between a program running at 100fps with 100% usage and the same program running at 10 fps and 100% usage is simply that the program needs more resources, more power, to do it's job. That is when you would say that the CPU is bottlenecking your program.

Yet we are in a situation where our CPU's are underutilized and our GPU's are underutilized. Throw 100 AI in that same empty editor and CPU usage doesn't change, but performance takes a nose dive. The blame at that point goes from the hardware to the software, because it's not the hardware that can't keep up or doesn't have enough power, but it's the software that can't utilize those resources effectively. That's been the core of the problem for a long time, the RV engine doesn't utilize the resources of current hardware properly. The reason for that falls heavily on the SQF scripting, the nature of how it's processed, and the extent to which it's used for calculations and functions within the engine.

Ok so what should/could BIS do to fix this?

In the past 5 years you mean? They could have redone the engine from scratch 2 times.

What they can do today? Probably nothing at this point... be prepped to the horde of ppl complaining about it (today we have the excuse of the "beta", when it'll be released there won't be any excuse).

But they can finally wake up to solve it, eventually for A4, so we won't have another 1000 threads like this in the future ArmA4 forum... after 3 titles and some expansions they might finally figured that a problem exists.

ummm i have a feeling this is arma2 all over again and cant be fixed BIS please for god sake as a dedicated fan of your please put me out of my misery

Can or will you fix this.

EDIT

If for this to get fixed they have to rewrite a lot of code why not just pass the source code or what ever it is to a trusted arma modder eg ACE team and ask if they would rewrite the code to work better for multiple core computers.

I mean BIS there is no shame in asking for help :( but I am gutted if this cant be fixed I know I keep saying it but OFP/ARMA is the only games I play and I just cant get ARMA3 to run at any FPS that is playable :( chuck in a few AI and I may as well give up :(

Edited by stk2008

Sounds like the issue is as solved as it's going to be. In the future, please search before opening new threads.