Sign in to follow this  
Tonci87

Surround sound problems, DEVs take notice

:cool: {evil smile in background with great echo}

The community master has spoken :notworthy:

What about sound occlusion? I mean, during, mmmm... second stable alpha I guess, I specifically tested it - placed myself near Diesel Powerplant Factory (Small) in the southern part of landing strip, placed flying heli somewhere in the middle of landing strip, and when i directly looked on a heli there was one sound, when I moved behind the wall of forementioned building - sound changed to be more muffled. And now there is no such effect - is it only me or devs removed it?

It would be nice to see some changelog on what changed, what is now and what is going to be changed in audio departament. Some kind of detailed audio developer log on A3 page or here to ease our minds :)

r..r.r... reverb??!

Hopefully. Dynamic reverbation along with dynamic echo would rock the s*it out of that game. But first they need to enable occlusion for guns and explosions :)

What about sound occlusion? I mean, during, mmmm... second stable alpha I guess, I specifically tested it - placed myself near Diesel Powerplant Factory (Small) in the southern part of landing strip, placed flying heli somewhere in the middle of landing strip, and when i directly looked on a heli there was one sound, when I moved behind the wall of forementioned building - sound changed to be more muffled. And now there is no such effect - is it only me or devs removed it?

Yeah i've noticed that too. Too bad it isn't working, maybe it is tuned or something bigger is going on with occlusion update?

Before going to beta last update to dev branch was nice occlusion effects for guns - most of the time it sounded really believable, just like ambient combat should sound. The only strange effect on guns had doppler effect on weapons but right now it's been fixed.

I wonder why devs turned it off.

Edited by fragmachine

I wonder if the 5.1 and 7.1 sound will be as clean and powerfull when they fix the issues as it is currently with stereo...

Wow, I have the exact same setup as the OP, same Mobo, same 5.1 Headset, and the 5.1 issue is really bugging me, It's like sound is coming from all over the place and it's very annoying, In BF3, CS:GO and other games it's super effective as I can really know what direction every sound comes from.

I'm not here in the forums often and just browsed to see if anyone's having similar problems...

Has it been fixed yet? I think I am still having issues..

I guess it is on the todo list....

I doubt that they would dare to release a game with broken 3D sound. It has become a standard and every major game must have it.

Maybe give Razer Surround a try.

:)

I saw someone else mention that program, but after checking out the preview on the site I had to laugh. I can make the sample sound almost the same just by running it through an equalizer. It certainly doesn't sound very "surround"-y, even coming through my Grados.

Plus almost all of their software is linked to a cloud now. Their excuse was that they needed more memory than they could affordably fit on a mouse, but that's so obviously bullshit it's not even funny. They just want to collect data from paying customers and don't give us the option of opting out. I don't like the idea of spending $90 on hardware only to be taken advantage of. Synapse 2.0 practically bricked my mouse until I dug up an old version 1.x installer, and Razer support didn't give a shit.

I can't find the ToS/EULA for Razer Surround on their website, so maybe it's not just bug-ridden spyware like the rest of their software, but I doubt it. I'm a little curious, but the preview was not impressive and I'm very wary of Razer these days. Be careful what you download or buy from them. They never were known for quality in the first place.

Either way, some equalizer tricks will never come close to real surround. I want to be able to enjoy my Z-5500s with Arma again. :)

I saw someone else mention that program, but after checking out the preview on the site I had to laugh. I can make the sample sound almost the same just by running it through an equalizer. It certainly doesn't sound very "surround"-y, even coming through my Grados.

Plus almost all of their software is linked to a cloud now. Their excuse was that they needed more memory than they could affordably fit on a mouse, but that's so obviously bullshit it's not even funny. They just want to collect data from paying customers and don't give us the option of opting out. I don't like the idea of spending $90 on hardware only to be taken advantage of. Synapse 2.0 practically bricked my mouse until I dug up an old version 1.x installer, and Razer support didn't give a shit.

I can't find the ToS/EULA for Razer Surround on their website, so maybe it's not just bug-ridden spyware like the rest of their software, but I doubt it. I'm a little curious, but the preview was not impressive and I'm very wary of Razer these days. Be careful what you download or buy from them. They never were known for quality in the first place.

Either way, some equalizer tricks will never come close to real surround. I want to be able to enjoy my Z-5500s with Arma again. :)

Sounds about as good as my onboard THX TruStudio Pro to me and someone else who was using Dolby Headphone tells me it sounds much more surround than that. Any of them certainly give some positioning, as with them disable, front, side and rear channels all come from the same place, left or right, whereas there is some sense of distinction in positioning with them on, although they still tend to sound very close to the head, compared to proper speakers where you get more of a sense of distance.

Although you have to register to use it, once installed you can run it offline (and block it with your firewall) and only need to set it online if you want to check for updates.

Maybe give Razer Surround a try.

I gave it a try. Works wonders on my 5 dollar walmart headset.

Cloud is a pain, but it's ok now in off-line mode.

It also replaced my old razer mouse gui --was a suprise.

Had to take boost off the mic because of a harsh feedback loop. Teamspeak needed tweaks also thru Setting\options\mic icon.

So, abit of a hassle, but sounds are so much better than stock realtek.

Any other good EQ apps?

Although you have to register to use it, once installed you can run it offline (and block it with your firewall) and only need to set it online if you want to check for updates.

Good to know, thanks! I already spent way more time than I should have looking for the terms, haha.

Woah! Sorry, can you clarify? I use a Razer Naga and I hate Synapse 2.0 with a passion. I don't want to install Razer Surround if it's going to update my Synapse in any way.

Edited by Fuse

...snip

Woah! Sorry, can you clarify? I use a Razer Naga and I hate Synapse 2.0 with a passion. I don't want to install Razer Surround if it's going to update my Synapse in any way.

Well, my razer mouse came with v3.03 driver --think it's pre-Synapse? Now the new gui is combined with the sound app.

My settings/profiles were still ok tho.

[edit] --the new gui is Synapse 2.0.

Edited by Ratszo
info

Yup, that's the last version before the evil Cloud, IIRC. Thanks a lot for the info.

I gave it a try. Works wonders on my 5 dollar walmart headset.

Cloud is a pain, but it's ok now in off-line mode.

Had to take boost off the mic because of a harsh feedback loop. Teamspeak needed tweaks also thru Setting\options\mic icon.

So, abit of a hassle, but sounds are so much better than stock realtek.

Any other good EQ apps?

I'm a bit surprised it affected your mic because as far as I know, it just inserts between the game output and the soundcard and shouldn't affect the mic input. Unless you're using speakers rather than a headset perhaps and the changed surround sound was picked up by your mic and caused problems?

i was the guy, who mentioned razor surround before. Still using it with my tacticts 3d alpha, which has its own 3d sound software, and sucks compared to razor. Only negative point, because of 7.1 channels, it bosst the volume of everything, so it sounds over compressed at loud scenes, so i have to reduce in game volume to half, so it doesn't sound overcompressed anymore.

I'm a bit surprised it affected your mic because as far as I know, it just inserts between the game output and the soundcard and shouldn't affect the mic input. Unless you're using speakers rather than a headset perhaps and the changed surround sound was picked up by your mic and caused problems?

No doubt headset is bleeding to the mic --cheap headset.

NeuroFunker..., thanks for the link. Directional sound is so much better. I'm hearing footsteps and sounds i didn't even know were ingame.

Cheers!

No doubt headset is bleeding to the mic --cheap headset.

NeuroFunker..., thanks for the link. Directional sound is so much better. I'm hearing footsteps and sounds i didn't even know were ingame.

Cheers!

np, enjoy ;)

lol btw, was playing today BF3 for a bit, some people called me a cheater, cause i could clearly hear, when someone were runing behind me, probably trying to knife me, and i did turn around and killed them. So this surround prog, does it job actually well^^

Edited by NeuroFunker

i was the guy, who mentioned razor surround before. Still using it with my tacticts 3d alpha, which has its own 3d sound software, and sucks compared to razor. Only negative point, because of 7.1 channels, it bosst the volume of everything, so it sounds over compressed at loud scenes, so i have to reduce in game volume to half, so it doesn't sound overcompressed anymore.

I only tried it with my Plantronics GameCom 777 and I had to reduce the loudness as well. It's not bad, but I think the positional sound of the GameCom 777 is a bit better.

G35 here also. Latest clean software from Logitech installed. Start Arma 3. Switch to Surround, here strange crackling when firing a weapon in auto and ambient noises change every 5 secounds. Great...Turn on stereo, sounds better, even if i want my emulated surround, which works great in BF3, even Arma 2...? BUT the footsteps are only played on the right speaker. I saw that the ticket is CLOSED. seriously? i mean all other games work for me and BIS s telling me buy a new headset, you only spend 100€ for "Emulated Surround Sound". Im really dissapointed.

Seems like BIS simply doesn't care about 5.1/7.1

Otherwise some Dev would have aknowledged the problem.