Sign in to follow this  
Tonci87

Surround sound problems, DEVs take notice

So, I spend the day testing the new stuff and I discovered some problems.

I discovered that both the MK20 and the Vermin have a distorted sound if I fire them on full auto without silencer.

Of course I opened tickets for those problems

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=9753

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=9751

I use a 5.1 Roccat Kave Headset, connected to the onboard device on my ASUS P8P67 Pro rev 3.1 Mainboard.

Now for the weird part:

I wanted to showcase the problem by making a video, so I recorded it with Bandicam (Audio Settings: PCM 48.0KHz stereo)

After rendering the video I checked it with Windows media player and to my surprise the problem wasn´t audible.

Now I had a mystery to solve, and I hate it if I can´t solve a mystery.

I tried a few things without success until I had a breakthrough.

I changed the Speaker configuration to stereo and tried again.

The problems were gone.

It seems that some assets in Arma 3 were not build and tested with Sourround sound in mind.

Please dear sound devs, keep in mind that a lot of people use Sourround sound devices and do your fantastic work accordingly.

Also please decrease the movement sound volume on the rear channel, increase it on center, it is irritating to have that on rear because you constatly think that there is somebody behind you.

Why do weapon sounds only get played on the side channels? At least center should be played as well if you fire a weapon.

I noticed another problem, direct speach is mostly not audible if you play with 5.1, for example the drill instructur at the beginning of the green firing drill.

I tried playing with Stereo for a while and I´m astonished how much better the game sounds. The guns sound crisp and clear. BIS how could you ruin Sourround sound so much?!

5.1 surround sound was working for me before switching to the dev build. Center and rear speakers are now completely dead while playing. It sounds as if the game is only outputting in 2.1 despite rendering(?) the sound for 5.1.

I can say the 5.1 in arma 3 is kinda weird - in early alpha it was working but then it got bugged

Edited by RobertHammer

I have the same impression. Everything was ok when the Alpha was released, but now...

Headset

Most headsets use virtual surround. If you don't have 5 physical speakers then don't use surround?

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

If that were the case for physical 5.1 or 7.1 headsets then you'd be correct Dark. However the Plantronics, Roccat, and (in my case) Turtle Beach [for now, my Kave's broke :(] all use multiple speakers inside the headset, not virtualization for their 5.1 setups.

Yep, it´s real 5.1 with the Roccat Kave, and I expect that people with speaker 5.1 setups have the same problems

Yep, it´s real 5.1 with the Roccat Kave, and I expect that people with speaker 5.1 setups have the same problems

I have 5.1 speaker setup and it's the same problem. I have not tested the weapons, but I noticed the sound was bugged at the shooting drill missions.

My 5.1 speakers are fine

My 5.1 speakers are fine

Congratulations? Mine are not. What kind of set up do you have?

Not trying to be a dick, trying to help eliminate possible issues. I run optical out from a creative xfi card to a yamaha receiver with klispch synergy satellites and a 650 Watt 12" sub.

Not trying to be a dick, trying to help eliminate possible issues. I run optical out from a creative xfi card to a yamaha receiver with klispch synergy satellites and a 650 Watt 12" sub.

Thanks. I'll try optical tomorrow hopefully, see if that helps.

More data about my onboard sound device

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8P67_PRO_REV_31/#specifications

Realtek® ALC892 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC

- Supports : Jack-detection, Multi-streaming, Front Panel Jack-retasking

Audio Feature :

- Absolute Pitch 192kHz/ 24-bit True BD Lossless Sound

- Blu-ray audio layer Content Protection

- DTS Surround Sensation UltraPC

- Coaxial and Optical S/PDIF out ports at back panel

My Roccat Kave can´t be connected to the optical S/PDIF. (Or can it?)

I have exactly the same Motherboard and headphones as you Tonci87

How are you connecting the headphones USB version or 5 separate inputs? (S/PDIF is not possible)

I'm using the 5 inputs (so its real 5.1) and I also hear the distortion and VERY low direct voice of the intructor you mentioned.

I also tried setting windows to 4 speaker setup and it does the same.

For me the surround effect works fine except when the scource is close and that is an unfortunate design decision by BIS.

They are still working on the sound system so they are probably aware of most problems. We should wait until the official BETA release (25th) as they will probably update it then.

Edited by EDcase

I use 5 inputs, the USB connector is just for the remote and the power supply

Sound Blaster Zx with Denon receiver and Wharfedale speakers - have this sound of you walking or crawling or whatever mostly in rear speakers. Also cannot hear mechanical part of shooting (weapon clicks) when using surround setup, but can hear it if using stereo. Other than that no problems with sound.

Sound Blaster Zx with Denon receiver and Wharfedale speakers - have this sound of you walking or crawling or whatever mostly in rear speakers. Also cannot hear mechanical part of shooting (weapon clicks) when using surround setup, but can hear it if using stereo. Other than that no problems with sound.

I have a question please, the footsteps and gear sounds are as loud in stereo setup as they are in 5.1 setup?

Optical will only work if you have a soundcard that supports real time 3d encoding just fyi

I use 5 inputs, the USB connector is just for the remote and the power supply

Yes, same here.

So is everyone who is having the issue using 6-ch direct for their audio out? (I am.)

EDIT: Nevermind, forgot a user posted in the other thread about having this issue with their USB headset.

Edited by Fuse

I have a question please, the footsteps and gear sounds are as loud in stereo setup as they are in 5.1 setup?

Yep, volume is pretty much the same no matter what mode I'm using.

Using optical cable, btw.

I noticed that gunfire plays predominately through the left ear of my surround sound headset, not sure if that may be related.

I posted an issue to the feedback tracker regarding the surround sound issue I've been seeing: http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=10145

While it focuses on the voiceover problem I've seen a few people report, I imagine most of the issues described in this thread are related somehow.