Sign in to follow this  
InqWiper

Random bugs i mp map?

The problem is that sometimes everything works the way its supposed to work and sometimes it doesnt. Sometimes it works on the servr computer and looks the way its supposed to but not on the client computers.

One time a flag just disappeared from a flagpole when noone had been near it.

This is really annoying and I dont know what to do about it, its a pretty good map but I can never get it to work.

Its not like I made something wrong cuz sometimes it works fine and sometimes not, its like it buggs randomly.

If anyone think they might be able to fix this problem I will be happy to send you the map so you can dissect it.

I really dont know what to do so sending someone else the map and ask them to take a look at it and find out whats wrong is like the last thing I try.

If you manage to fix this map there will of course say:

much thx to YourName for helping me fixing this map.

or something.

PLEASE HELP sad.gif

Well one thing i can say is use the #monitor function on the server once you log in... see if you are above 14 fps.

If not then that could be your problem, but I suspect you run some things on the server, but not on the clients etc.

I will PM you my e-mail address, so attach the map to an e-mail, compressed in one file plz.

I absolutely do not make any promises that will fix your map, it depends on your problems, but I think I can help out.

Knowing how to beat OFP into submission is the key to making MP maps. Basically, everything is by default broken and it's up to you to make it work. Maybe it's just me ;d

Okay I have just gotten the map, and looking at it... I have some questions now.

Do you intend to run this map without a dedicated server? (you should design CTF maps for ded-server only) Is it okay if I make changes so that it is only guaranteed to work on a ded-server? confused.gif

You say the flag dissapeared, after how long (approximately), and what are some other problems if any.

I assume that the boat you made in the middle is for init purposes only right?

Let's see what I can figure out...

Okay, I have started to make changes to your mission but I think it's best if I tell you some major mistakes you made and let you fix it up... then if you still can't get it, send over your revised map again. smile.gif

here it goes:

use </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">; not ,<span id='postcolor'> when seperating instructions in scripts (or anywhere else)

to move a marker use </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">"markerName" setMarkerPos [getPos object select 0, getPos object select 1];<span id='postcolor'> where object is the name of the object where u want to move marker

what you put in the LST init, put it into a script called init.sqs

check all your spelling in scripts and triggers (especially names)

check your triggers, if they check for presence make sure they cover an area

Try using the hint command to debug your scripts.

Good luck, and take your time. wink.gif

Dunno when the flag disappeared, noone had touched it and when I got there it was just gone like it had never been there in the first place...

Ok I will use ; and not ,

, worked so thats why I used it.

It is meant to be played on ded server.

The boat is just for init

Will make a init.sqs

I will check for spelling again but I dont think thats the problem since everything works fine when I play MP alone on my server (not dedicated).

When I check if a unit has the flag, is it not good to use:

?Side flagowner WestFlag3==East: something something... ?

Thx again smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (InqWiper @ July 31 2002,15:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">?Side flagowner WestFlag3==East: something something... ?<span id='postcolor'>

That should work fine, try east not East..... just in case.

Still works sometimes and sometimes not, U can take a flag 4 times and the 5th time it will be stuck on the guy who took it.

The thing that doesnt work the most is that the text doesnt show up, the sound isnt played, the markers arent moved and the score isnt changed. The flagtexture works most of the time but not always. It seems to bug the most when the clients take the flag and never or very rarely when the server takes it.

OKay, send me the updated mission, I will do what I can now that you went over it and gave a good description.

One question? Just how many flags do you have (I don't remember exactly)? If more than two please explain how they are suppost to work.

Or if there is something special about how you want your mission to work let me know. (sometimes I might not know what is an error and what is desired)

Give me a bit of time to fix it up... wink.gif

Hey, I got your e-mail and sent you back 2. I have been "fixing" the map for a while now and I think it will be fine. Couple hours to go probably. smile.gif

Maybe after a while you will be able to release this map on public servers. confused.gif

InqWiper got the fixed map 2 days ago, no problems reported.

InqWiper, you going to release this or what? I think ppl would like your flag setup. smile.gif

OUT

There were still a few bugs and stuff I had to fix.

One thing was that west had M60 and east had T72 wich was not very popular so now west has T72res.

One bug:

"Respawn_east" setMarkerPos [getpos EastFlag3 select 1,getpos EastFlag3 select 1]

that ofcourse made us respawn in the water wich was pretty embarrasing hehe smile.gif

Also the end triggers didnt work so I have to fix that, yes, those were my stupid triggers, gonna try to do .sqs that looks more like the ones you made that work smile.gif

smile.gif

Yea, I figured the mission needed some touch ups (lol respawning in water is good), but I'm sure you will get that solved within a few days.

If you don't have too many RPG's and LAWs in the mission just basic infantry weapons you might try M2A2's and BMP2's instead of the tanks, just an idea. Boats would be neat'o, don't you think? (with small weapons around ofcourse)

I think the M2A2 and BMP2 might have too devastating powers, amagine people standing on theire island and just bombarding the other with 25mm HE tounge.gif

I thought about boats but I think this map is a bit too small for boats, maybe next map smile.gif

You can only take the closest flag anyway and its like 200 meter from urs and there is like 50 meters of water between them, adding boats would probably make n00bs use them to go around and get inside the enemy respawn.

I think Im gonna post a link to my map here when its done and then everyone can complain about what I need to change(I realize U werent complaining). smile.gif

Oh yea ok.

Hmm, the respawn killing thing is going to be different on your map, because you have a dynamic respawn. You know what I mean? The only way teams could enforce no respawn kills would be if you changed the flag texture to something else at respawn points, so that people can't say "oh I didn't know it was their respawn".

Like a white or blue flag ? Maybe yellow is most different.

I would just allow respawn killing at first and see how it goes. tounge.gif

Hehe smile.gif

You can press the links in the briefing to see where the resapawn is and also the markers with cross are the respawn markers. I think people will learn where the respawn is after playing it 1 or 2 times, atleast if they read the briefing and see that the respawns move...

When I played it the first time with other people I didnt know(yeasterday), I just got spawnkilled once, could be because we were the winning team and they didnt get close to our flag that they were supposed to capture a whole lot smile.gif