Sign in to follow this  
supercereal4

Missing 3D tank interiors

I've waited twelve years for my glorious and immersive tank interiors to be brought back, and the sitrep #00015 has broke my heart. "We should also clarify a statement about fully modeled vehicle interiors. Most, but not all vehicles have these rich 3D interiors. The philosophy is similar to Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead for the same reasons. Primarily heavy armor driver and gunner positions lack 3D interiors, but their passenger spaces are available!" What were the reasons for not having beautiful and much requested 3D tank interiors? I'm almost as disappointed as i was with Deus Ex: The Fa(i)ll.

I'll just quote pettka:

To put you more in perspective, there are going to be two wheeled APCs for Arma 3 Beta. Making interiors for drivers and gunners would mean there would be only one of them because of time constraints. Speaking just for myself, I would prefer to have at least some armoured vehicle for both Blue and Red rather to stand on the side without any such stuff against better equipped enemy with interiors I would never see :icon_twisted:

I can understand that, and it makes sense, however it seems that there was no indication that there would be modeled interiors in the final release either.

Well, I guess the same logic would stand. For every tank interior they make, they could make a whole other vehicle.

I have to say I prefer the current 2D but somehow awesomely 3D-Looking Cockpit to either the ArmA2-Style "plain texture" or a badly modelled, unrealistic looking 3D Cockpit.

Didn't they say they would focus on quality over quantity? It's not that I'm complaining, but I think that 2D overlays just don't cut it anymore. Personally, I'd be fine with less vehicles that have interiors modeled, and if finances allow it, add more over time. Of course, I can't speak for the whole community, but it is one of the top requested features for a long time.

Didn't they say they would focus on quality over quantity? It's not that I'm complaining, but I think that 2D overlays just don't cut it anymore. Personally, I'd be fine with less vehicles that have interiors modeled, and if finances allow it, add more over time. Of course, I can't speak for the whole community, but it is one of the top requested features for a long time.

1+

less vehicles, less island size, more interactive vehicle detail inside & outside with pip, clickable interieur...additional islands and vehicles we will get from community later on..

I'm definitely a quality over quantity kinda person. I'm crossing my fingers they will implement full 3D interiors once they have all of the basic vehicles for each faction such as an attack chopper for each side, an APC, and etc. Then after, hopefully they'll continue to roll out vehicles for each side as time permits for quality.

Well, I guess the same logic would stand. For every tank interior they make, they could make a whole other vehicle.

Why not all? I'm sure there are many people that would help (for free and of course for money). And than we would definitely have a quality and quantity. ;)

Full vehicle interiors are a joke and waste of time.

Red Orchestra 2 still only has 2 vehicles because they were fully modeled. Not worth it at all. Drive first person with the black window view or don't. I'm all for quality, but saying you need modeled interiors for a driver and gunner position is being ridiculous.

Red Orchestra 2 still only has 2 vehicles because they were fully modeled. Not worth it at all. Drive first person with the black window view or don't. I'm all for quality, but saying you need modeled interiors for a driver and gunner position is being ridiculous.

I prefer two vehicles with fully modeled interiors than 10. AND i want them to be somehow functional.

I completely agree

Its not worth having 2 tanks fully modeled instead of 4 that are not

I prefer two vehicles with fully modeled interiors than 10. AND i want them to be somehow functional.
yes, for example the main battle tank on each side.

yes, for example the main battle tank on each side.

I think most people would prefer more than 2 tanks to play with.

I think most people would prefer more than 2 tanks to play with.

fully modeled. Better than nothing. For example t90 vs abrams for custom tank missions. Its a matter of taste and not so much work, i think.

fully modeled. Better than nothing. For example t90 vs abrams for custom tank missions. Its a matter of taste and not so much work, i think.

Since armor is poorly simulated in arma anyways (Hitpoints, not actual armor protection/penetration), then why does it matter if the interior is simulated? It seems like a joke. I could see at least if the game properly simulated tank combat, but it doesn't.

What kills RO2 are all the animations; The crew working and even more the change of seats when one of them are dead. It's a nice feature but a shot in the foot in the long term.

We could have some generic interiors for armored vehicles; use the SDV "stering wheel", some MFD to act as a side and rear cam (not big deal, done to death in other vehicles) and the optinal (press numpad 0) 2D overlay thing. sasdasd for the gunner.

Some simple metal sheet textures (if you made a custom one for each board in the firing drills thing, which BTW are very nice, this shouldn't be a big deal)for each compartiment (which are isolated from cargo anyway, so no big deal with animations and shit), some flips, buttons and a pic of pin up girl and you make people happy. More immersion, less boring, more spacial\situation awareness and would be one of the most simple interiors of the game. Don't think that anyone would complain about "not 1:1 recretation of the cockpit".

I know the time is short for now, but consider adding something like that for an after release patch or something.

It's jarring to see the 2D driver windows in the Beta wheeled armor vehicles when the everything else has 3D interiors.

I guess if it's a "this or nothing" deal, then obviously I'd rather have whatever they give us. I just hope they add the correct interiors someday.

Money are made by numbers nowadays (see BF3 and COD). From a company perspective (earning), they would spend more time into external 3d modeling, so they can claim to have: zillion vehicles into he game.. no matter if they are just boxes with wheels, the average BF3 player won't understand the difference ì. This is where ArmA is aiming... dangerously near to BF3 and COD (who doesn't like money? :) ).

Money are made by numbers nowadays (see BF3 and COD). From a company perspective (earning), they would spend more time into external 3d modeling, so they can claim to have: zillion vehicles into he game.. no matter if they are just boxes with wheels, the average BF3 player won't understand the difference ì. This is where ArmA is aiming... dangerously near to BF3 and COD (who doesn't like money? :) ).

This sort of talk helps no one. Would it be nice to have full 3d interiors? Yes of course. Is it anything new for BIS to only include interiors for some vehicles? No.

Hello there

I adore vehicle interiors and for many positions is actually useful (if the periscopes work), but if it's down to budgets and timescales then I'd plump for the usual "Arma" interiors.

Although if budget and time restraints are the reason, I wonder why the devs didnt turn to the community to "farm" them out. (like many "essential" mods) Many folk would do the work for a simple credit. I'm sure there's a perfectly good reason for not doing it, I wonder what it is?

Rgds

LoK

Because projects have a budget...

Because skilled professionals don't work for free.

Because you get what you pay for.

Because when you're asking someone to do something for free, you get what you get, and it takes time / money to keep track of all of these and their commitments / schedules.

Because people who are doing stuff in their spare time are often not able to meet hard deadlines or sometimes even do anything on what they've committed to do.

Not to mention it's questionable to have someone getting paid a decent living doing one job and someone slaving away for no compensation doing the same thing.

It's easy to say 'people will help out'. But how about you? Would you commit every second of your spare time for the next 3 months on a project you a) aren't getting paid for and b) aren't free to define your own timeline / quality / specifications / workflow / ??? and c) other people are getting paid for doing the exact same thing and then they have spare time on top of it?

There is a massive difference between doing a passion project for yourself, and doing work for a company.

Edited by Max Power

Considering where the drivers head is situated in the two wheeled APC's the 2D window is actually how the drivers view would look as they peer out the tiny windows and if they never not look down at controls.With 3D cockpits though the view port becomes too small and situational awareness suffers IMO.I think that 2D windows done right is actually more realistic and boosts situational awareness.But they need to model the actual windows that are on the units to really give better effect IMO.The Marid for example has a lot of view ports and so you should have a virtual head that you could spin around in a circle to look out all the view ports a unit has.Either that or model it that you can click back and forth thru the view ports with two keys.

the vehicles are too boring without interior, imagine the helicopter without cockpit view and just the scope view in the gunner position. some of the vehicles already have the modeling like the ifrit . Bohemia should do this for all vehicles.

Yay, its this thread again...

I've waited twelve years for my glorious and immersive tank interiors to be brought back, and the sitrep #00015 has broke my heart.

And where was it ever promised that they would have interiors in A3? False expectations much?

Didn't they say they would focus on quality over quantity?

There is a minimum amount of quantity required for the game to work tho. Or would you rather one of these situations:

1. All 3 sides in the game use the same pool of vehicles?

or

2. One side in the game has the only APC model, the other has the only MBT model, and the 3rd has the only normal truck model?

once they have all of the basic vehicles for each faction such as an attack chopper for each side, an APC, and etc. Then after, hopefully they'll continue to roll out vehicles for each side as time permits for quality.

This, exactly. They need to ensure that all 3 sides have a balanced array of equipment, so there is a bare minimum number of models to achieve.

But that means that one side has to go without a vehicle? Is it cool that Blue and Red forces get an MBT, but Green dont?

the vehicles are too boring without interior, imagine the helicopter without cockpit view and just the scope view in the gunner position. some of the vehicles already have the modeling like the ifrit . Bohemia should do this for all vehicles.

Yes, and the community asserts that BI should do a lot of things (that aren't necessarily a requirement).

I would be willing to bet that if BI added some stats counter to the game, which logged and reported how much time was spent in 1st person vs in optics when inside an MBT, I would be 100% sure that 0.001% of the total player time would be spent in 1st person view, and 99.999% of total player time would be spent in optics. Making the interiors a huge waste of effort on their behalf for very little gameplay reward.